Best Tips on Shooting a Springer!

about how i shoot every springer....
d350benchrestoct2022a.jpg R9177may2021c.jpg

works fine letting the tripod handle the "artillery hold" for me.
diana350mag_may2022_005.jpg beemantargettest003.jpg

on a synth stock, i'll even add a bipod on occasion.
swarmmagnumgen2_withscope002.jpg

either are a lot easier than carrying sandbags around. and seems just as accurate.
swarmnoRRRnoscope003 (2022_05_14 10_59_25 UTC).JPG

just my 3-cents worth. your results may vary. :)

The artillery hold isn't really a set in stone thing. You mostly just want to recoil in a similar fashion from shot to shot. Some guns may prefer a heavier grip than others or slightly more shoulder pressure. From a bag, same thing. I rarely if ever hold my hand between the bag and stock. I just rest the gun and let it do its thing. One thing I have noticed is that softer surfaces between the stock and bag tend to work better. Anything that grips the wood and prevents a "free-coil" tends to throw fliers.

Long story shot, experiment a little.

... You mostly just want to recoil in a similar fashion from shot to shot. ...

Long story shot, experiment a little.
Yeah, that seems to be my experience. And of those wiser than I. 🤓

I coach air-rifle and one of my go-to sayings when I see 'em hit a bullseye: Now do that EXACT same thing again. 🎯

Springers really rely on the shooter consistently perfectly repeating the many steps to consider for each round. Well, in all fairness, any gun requires that, but the springer seems less forgiving. 💥

I enjoy the challenge. I have a tiny #backyardplinking 1/8th acre suburban lot. 25Y with a scope and a $1000+ rifle gets boring quickly.

💪 #neverstopshooting

There was a great thread on here not long ago about some of this. As an added bonus he shot his AA TX200 in his article he linked. Can we link the AGN thread here or no?

Control your breathing. And off hand, your first sight picture is your best sight picture. Your muscles aren’t going to get less fatigued while your front hand tries to steady a 10+ lb. weight!
I was the author of that thread - I appreciate the kind words!

Here's the article for those interested: https://americanairgunner.com/shooting-a-spring-piston-air-rifle-for-dummies/

I like trying to let my springers "float" in my hands, thus allowing the springer to do its thing. A hard hold just won't the springer to complete its cycle in the same way constantly, which will led to change in the poi.
Practice is necessary to achieve repeatable accuracy allowing for greater success in your hunting adventures.
If your new to springer shooting, stay away from "magnum" springers. Remember accuracy is your goal. Once your happy with your ability with a lower ftlb springer then try a higher ftlb gun.
Use good high quality pellets, weight and sort them, success is in the small things.
1019011438_zpsddyeqrkn.jpg

Learn the gun. Some like a SUPER light touch, others want a little bit more of a grip on them - some will tolerate being rested, a few love it. Shooting a springer well is an art that requires you to become intimately familar with both the fine points of springer technique and the nuances of each gun, and those are things that just take time and practice - so buy a stack of tins, and get out there, shoot and shoot again.

Either that, or just go buy a Model 54, and don't worry about any of that stuff- mine honestly is more accurate than some of my PCP's. :)

Find the correct grip for your springer. My HW30 likes a light grip with the fore arm resting on my palm. My RWS 34 likes a bit firmer grip with the fore arm being gripped lightly. The NP2 likes a firm grip with the butt pulled into my shoulder and the fore arm resting on my palm. All guns/rifles have their own traits and want to be held differently. Experiment with your springer to find it's correct hold.

Shoot it a LOT and experiment with holds and how you "pull" the trigger.

I found that when I had a cheap break barrel (Crosman Fire/F4 in .177) that the "artillery hold" and "squeezing the trigger" just didn't work.

For that gun, believe it or not, what worked for me was gripping it in a death grip and actually jerking the trigger (the trigger was about the worst I have ever experienced).

So... as I said above, shoot it a lot and experiment with holds and trigger pulls. Eventually, you WILL find what works for you and any particular airgun.

And that WILL change (with springers especially) with each airgun. JMHO based on my limited experience. (smile) YMMV

Reactions: pdxFrank
(...)
I found that when I had a cheap break barrel (Crosman Fire/F4 in .177) that the "artillery hold" and "squeezing the trigger" just didn't work.

For that gun, believe it or not, what worked for me was gripping it in a death grip and actually jerking the trigger (the trigger was about the worst I have ever experienced). (...)

I have seen some variation, but, wow, what an extreme example of an oddball springer!

I have seen some variation, but, wow, what an extreme example of an oddball springer!
My point was to experiment regardless of the prevailing wisdom. What works well for others may not work well for you.

In any case, I went to PCP (yes, the Rabbit Hole) and haven't looked back. I sort of like to hit what I am aiming at with a minimum of fuss and muss. (smile)

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
My point was to experiment regardless of the prevailing wisdom. What works well for others may not work well for you.

In any case, I went to PCP (yes, the Rabbit Hole) and haven't looked back. I sort of like to hit what I am aiming at with a minimum of fuss and muss. (smile)
Ah yes, I did the same thing, lol - and I completely understood :) - I said something similar above, and flippantly suggested cheating by buying a Mod 54, though, really, if you like springers and PCP's, they're almost a must-buy, IMO... Things shoot incredibly well, and don't require all the work and practice that other springers do.

And, even now, despite the fact that I do admittedly spend most of my time shooting PCPs, my springers still get the love they deserve, in fact, MORE than before, because now that I've ended up madly in love with PCP's, the overall expenditure on them actually made it possible to justify stepping up to build a proper shooting range in my backyard.

I would like for more distance, but 20 yards of minimal blue sky and concrete/metal walls just steps away from the back door is, honestly, pretty darn awesome. :). Though, now that seems like a good justification to buy a .72 AEA, ya know, because the range will handle it. :)

Ah yes, I did the same thing, lol - and I completely understood :) - I said something similar above, and flippantly suggested cheating by buying a Mod 54, though, really, if you like springers and PCP's, they're almost a must-buy, IMO... Things shoot incredibly well, and don't require all the work and practice that other springers do.

And, even now, despite the fact that I do admittedly spend most of my time shooting PCPs, my springers still get the love they deserve, in fact, MORE than before, because now that I've ended up madly in love with PCP's, the overall expenditure on them actually made it possible to justify stepping up to build a proper shooting range in my backyard.

I would like for more distance, but 20 yards of minimal blue sky and concrete/metal walls just steps away from the back door is, honestly, pretty darn awesome. :). Though, now that seems like a good justification to buy a .72 AEA, ya know, because the range will handle it. :)
Nothing against springers/Gas piston airguns. Some people love them and love the way you have to *learn* how to shoot each gun.

For me it is simple. I pest and want to hit what I am aiming at. PERIOD. I am not the best shot, but I am not bad. PCPs offer me the accuracy/precision that I would have to work a lot harder for with a springer/NP airgun. It's as simple as that. And that is saying nothing against springer/NP fans. It is just my choice for what I want/need to do. (smile)

Nothing against springers/Gas piston airguns. Some people love them and love the way you have to *learn* how to shoot each gun.

For me it is simple. I pest and want to hit what I am aiming at. PERIOD. I am not the best shot, but I am not bad. PCPs offer me the accuracy/precision that I would have to work a lot harder for with a springer/NP airgun. It's as simple as that. And that is saying nothing against springer/NP fans. It is just my choice for what I want/need to do. (smile)
That's exactly why I mentioned the 54, if you ever get the chance to try one, do. They are lasers, and not hold sensitive, accuracy is good even for a PCP, but mind blowing for a springer.

I'm not particularly thrilled with my .22 54/56 performance for the weight and power level (22fpe with 15.89gr JSBs) it should be a 1/4" gun at 30m but I'm finding it just can't do that. A typical 10 shot group from mine is closer to 3/4" at that range. I'm still fiddling with it some but to be completely honest I don't think it will ever be much better than 1/2". My 17fpe .22 HW97K blows it out of the water.

I'm not particularly thrilled with my .22 54/56 performance for the weight and power level (22fpe with 15.89gr JSBs) it should be a 1/4" gun at 30m but I'm finding it just can't do that. A typical 10 shot group from mine is closer to 3/4" at that range. I'm still fiddling with it some but to be completely honest I don't think it will ever be much better than 1/2". My 17fpe .22 HW97K blows it out of the water.
Maybe I'm just lucky and got a good copy. Certainly is variation on that. Though, I'd try a bunch of different ammo, maybe it'll do better with something other than the JSB's...

Also, agree on weight. I wouldn't want to lug it around all day through the woods, that's what the leshiy's are for. ;-)

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Maybe I'm just lucky and got a good copy. Certainly is variation on that. Though, I'd try a bunch of different ammo, maybe it'll do better with something other than the JSB's...

Also, agree on weight. I wouldn't want to lug it around all day through the woods, that's what the leshiy's are for. ;-)
I've gone through pretty much everything I have in it and the JSBs are by far the best with the 5.55 FTTs being a near second. Dont get me wrong I like the gun quite a bit its just not quite what I was hoping for out of a sledded magnum. Itll get there I'm sure. Theres a ton of things to tinker with on these guns which is why I wanted it in the first place. Its a darn cool gun.

I've gone through pretty much everything I have in it and the JSBs are by far the best with the 5.55 FTTs being a near second. Dont get me wrong I like the gun quite a bit its just not quite what I was hoping for out of a sledded magnum. Itll get there I'm sure. Theres a ton of things to tinker with on these guns which is why I wanted it in the first place. Its a darn cool gun.

You know, this does bring up the aspect of 'settling in' with springers, which no one has mentioned here.

My 54 was absolutely not accurate out of the box, and while I've not needed to tinker with it, it has settled in nicely over the years.