Best Tips on Shooting a Springer!

Airgun Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 24, 2020
Colorado, United States
Share your past experiences and help fellow shooters hone their craft and shooting ability!!

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 1.52.06 PM.png

*The idea for the this thread is compliments of Air Arms

Get one with a good trigger, hold it the same way each shot and make sure all the screws/fasteners & scope stay snug, shoot it A LOT...the more the're shot the better they shoot...the gun breaks in and you will become more and more proficient with it. Agreed, 12 fpe easier to cock for long shooting sessions and milder firing cycle too.
Thanks AA & AGN!

There was a great thread on here not long ago about some of this. As an added bonus he shot his AA TX200 in his article he linked. Can we link the AGN thread here or no?

Control your breathing. And off hand, your first sight picture is your best sight picture. Your muscles aren’t going to get less fatigued while your front hand tries to steady a 10+ lb. weight!

Not much of a big tip but For anyone looking to shoot off sticks, or tripods or anything you can do it and you do not need the artillery hold and this will not affect POI. All you need to do is do a simple whipping with paracord around the yoke of your bipod/tripod. It works best if you remove the inner strands and can be any style.

This may not seem like much but being able to rest a Springer on this and it NOT affect POI is big when you get used to shooting them a lot. I attached a pic of mine I used red initially but I am switching to a more fitting color now that I know it’s working.

If you don’t know what a rope whipping knot is, just YouTube it, it’s simple and secure.

4528194F-4DAE-4B45-9943-FAD1DB1D11F4.jpeg

Agreed. Headshots are the only shots I personally take regardless of power anyway. Zero pain and they usually don't even know they died. Can't get any more ethical than that.
That being said , they are one tough somebitch.. if a squirrel was 100 lbs ,I’d never go into the woods as you could never kill them

I have shot them that had holes From being hit previously.

Best Tips on Shooting a Springer?

in no particular order...

1. practice
no tips really matter if you don't.

2. use proper ammo
the best ammo for an event, gun, distance, prey, etc. isn't always best for the other.

3. get a gun that fits you
too long, too short, too heavy, etc will lessen the joy.

4. comfortable clothing
rain, mud, cold, creeping into your bones can make you feel like packing up.

5. functional gear
tool or toys, they ain't either if broken, empty or fogotten, check before you go.

BONUS TIP: don't listen to half the lists you read.
much like the firearm hobby, there's a lot of BS and urban legends.

Over the years, these are the most important things I have been told about the act of shooting any weapon.

Wood to wood (stockweld) and bone to bone (support the rifle with your skeleton, not your muscles).
Support the rifle, don't clutch it, particularly important with a springer.
Squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it.

Remember:
Breath
Relax
Aim (align sights)
Sight (position your now aligned sights on the target)
Squeeze

If you need to breath again before you finish those steps, start over.

Last edited:
Remember:
Breath
Relax
Aim (align sights)
Sight (position your now aligned sights on the target)
Squeeze

If you need to breath again before you finish those steps, start over.
BRASS! I like it.

Today I was going through annual training at the hospital where I work. Was reciting the fire emergency acronyms we're supposed to memorize: RACE (Remove/Activate/Confine/Evacuate) and PASS for the fire extinguisher (Pull/Aim/Squeeze/Sweep.) This sounds like those. I love helpful acronyms. PEMDAS or "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally," got me through two years of hardcore algebra; the order of operations: Parentheses, Exponents, Division, Addition, Subtraction. I'm adding BRASS to the list. Thanks!

with my HW97 i find a very light hold the best , i would not even call it "hold " more like the gun is resting on my hands tips of my fingers not touching the gun , Cheek weld is more like skin just touching the comb of the rifle .

EDIT . with a springer less is more .

Don't grip it but rather let it rest in your hands. Practice the same way you would hunt. And practice a lot. I moved on to PCP's but still enjoy shooting my springers. Each one has their own personality. Springers require muscle memory to get good with. Shoot, shoot and shoot. My old Benjamin NP2 22 can hang with the best of them, even shooting the 'cheap' walmart pellets. I love it.