• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best target for a backyard

I tried mulch and switched to a box filled with layers of old clothing / fabric. Easier to separate the lead - Just shake the fabric over a large tub and the lead falls out. Avoid terry cloth towels unless you have a good 10 inches of regular woven cloth in front of them as the pellets tend to get stuck in them. Vacuum up the lint and layer the fabric back into the box, adding a few inches of fresh fabric on top. Mine stops 30 cal 60 grain slugs going 1000fps+. When I run out of the free old clothing I may have to switch back to mulch.

Indoor i use a square 5 gallon bucket with a good snap on lid and like above use old cloth or pillow stuffing packed in good to help prevent the pellets from passing through . I set on its side and shoot through the lid / long ways. Like said time to time just remove and shake out the stuffing stuff and just repack .

I guess in a small yard in town shooting it be fine for that as well

Cardboard box filled with red rubber mulch will absorb about any type of pellet. I put a heavy duty trash bag in the box first then the rubber mulch in the trash bag so I can easily change it to a new box once it is well used. I buy Corona beer by the case and use those boxes and they work great!
SO YOUR A BEER DRINKER LOL, GREAT BEER WITH LITTLE LIME IN IT, GREAT WAY TO RECYCLE

Get a truck mud flap and hang it just behind your target frame. Lose on the bottom to absorb the energy.
I was lucky enough to find some conveyer belt lengths, hanging it as described above. I've shot the belts using a .22 rim fire with absolutely no penetrations.
Regularly shoot it with a 60 ftlb pcp and the slugs fall into a plastic barrel cut in half so I can collect the lead and cast my own jig heads .

Get a truck mud flap and hang it just behind your target frame. Lose on the bottom to absorb the energy.
I was lucky enough to find some conveyer belt lengths, hanging it as described above. I've shot the belts using a .22 rim fire with absolutely no penetrations.
Regularly shoot it with a 60 ftlb pcp and the slugs fall into a plastic barrel cut in half so I can collect the lead and cast my own jig heads .
Lol watch the side of the road for a flap that got ripped off a semi the thick black real rubber ones work best the hard plastic ones not so...

I buy thick bed comforters and/or wool blankets at sales. Stuff them in a box. Works great.
For cardboard boxes I tape voter for me signs/cloroplast oveer the cardboard. This is more secure and weather proff. When it gets shot up, I just tape some more over the box again. I have repeated this many times. Now the box is quite heavy after 3 years.

Reactions: tjmac
Indoor i use a square 5 gallon bucket with a good snap on lid and like above use old cloth or pillow stuffing packed in good to help prevent the pellets from passing through . I set on its side and shoot through the lid / long ways. Like said time to time just remove and shake out the stuffing stuff and just repack .

I guess in a small yard in town shooting it be fine for that as well

I like the idea of a 5 gallon bucket rather than a box. Should hold up for years outdoors. You can often get free 3, 4 and sometimes 5 gallon buckets from the bakeries inside large grocery stores. I have dozens of them that I use for storing lead, brass, whatever. If they don't have any 5 gallon buckets on hand, you could still grab some lids to replace those that end up shot full of holes on your 5 gallon.

I buy thick bed comforters and/or wool blankets at sales. Stuff them in a box. Works great.
For cardboard boxes I tape voter for me signs/cloroplast oveer the cardboard. This is more secure and weather proff. When it gets shot up, I just tape some more over the box again. I have repeated this many times. Now the box is quite heavy after 3 years.
yeah garage sale blankets are great lot of times $! or less

I made a 1x4 wood frame and screwed a 24 x 24 piece of sheet metal to it , then a bag of quick concrete and some water mixed right in the frame / pan .
A few days to dry and .22 long rifle does not dent the sheet metal and does not chip the cement . Maybe overkill ? I built a stand so the backstop is 45 degrees to deflect the pellets down to a sand pit .

Well nothing fancy but a bucket trap i got in the shop barn at 10m for pistol work. The bottom i got folded old jeans as last thick pellet stopping and the rest is filled with fiber like pillow stuffing . Layed on its side and duct taped a clip to hold a card target. I could of used screws but ...lol duct tape gives everything i touch of class, right?

buckettrap.jpg

Lol watch the side of the road for a flap that got ripped off a semi the thick black real rubber ones work best the hard plastic ones not so...
Like the rubber, haven't tried the plastic ones but judging by the sound of me hitting the plastic barrels and the damage, would not even consider.
I'm always looking for "treasures " on the side of the road.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
+1
on the old clothing/blanket and the rubber Mud flap/conveyor belt ideas.

When younger, I loaded up DYI wooden boxes with rubble mulch. Now I find them too heavy and messy to clean up.

As I get older and lazier, I recycled old clothing/blanket, stuff them into a construction grade plastic garbage bag then into Amazon cardboard boxes. lighter, easier to move around. To water proof the whole set up, I've been putting the cardboard boxes into these recycling plastic baskets (still looking for a better product)

1668800484114.png

Define "best"...

I built one that will stop a bulldozer damn near, so that there's zero question of it stopping anything I'll shoot at it (because there's a public road right behind it, I've got lots of layers between me and that road in all spots.

I also have decked it out with toys, like paintballs, golf tees and sand to put stuff in to shoot, as well as target hangers. All padded up with rubber, either sand filled kart tires, or rubber welcome mats, just to keep things hushed down.

paintball time.jpeg