• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best sub $300 springer for accuracy

hello all my name is Anthony and I a new to air rifles. I was a very active long range f t/r class shooter but family and I moved to North Carolina and there is not where I can find near me over 100 yards. Ther good thing is I have a back yard that I can shoot 65 yards so a air rifle will be fun. I like the pcp rifles but I don't know if I want to dive into all of that just yet. So I am looking for a sub $300 .22cal rifle with good accuracy. What do you recommended ?

I know you are thinking springer, and there are some good ones out there. But I have really been enjoying my Benjamin 392. A multipump pneumatic is not ideal for plinking because of the massive amount of pumping, but it will give you good energy and decent accuracy, just not fast shooting or a ton of volume shooting. I usually limit my shooting sessions to 15 or 20 shots just to keep myself in tune for surprise opportunity shots in the pest department.

The HW95 at that price is a great value.
And must you have .22? A .177 is fine out to 55 yards at least depending on what your doing, targets, hunting, ... . .22 is easier to load .
And you've fired springer's before ? "Artillery Hold" & all. And if not it is an enjoyable learning experience.
Personally ( and I may be the only one) I prefer the "RWS" T-06 trigger as in the 34 model. Refurbs from $180 up, some with 30 day warranty ( read the print always right?) .
http://www.airgundepot.com/search.html?keyword=rws+34&submit=&prv=&adv=&hawkb=

The 34 is another good rifle, most do shoot well and I've seen the Panther ( plastic model) w/T-06 used for a back up Field Target rigs, it did indeed shoot very well.

Are you located near any other airgun folks or clubs?

It is always great to handle a few before deciding exactly what you need. I didn't notice anyone mentioning your second rifle, yet.

John 

Hi Tony:
If you are NOT looking for much power or velocity and feel comfortable shooting for accuracy within 10 to 35-40 yards, I would consider getting into the USED MARKET and find one of the ISSF German made spring guns that were used for ISSF competition some years ago...The technology around ISSF moved to CO2 and then PCP's and springers devaluated considerably ...You will not find anything more accurate and high tech at those low prices, and if in good overall condition it will last you a lifetime.

These guns shoot at 570- 590 fps. in original configuration, and while not recommended, you can later tune up your gun with heavier $35.00 springs and other and make it shoot much faster...If you tune them up just keep in mind that some of the high tech sophistications will not work as intended (mainly recoil stabilizers and vibrations dampeners)

Look for a good Feinwerkbau, Anschutz or a Walther.

Regards,

AZ 

Tony:

First do a little research and get familiarized with the brands and their spring models...Then search for the specific models you are interested in...

These are some sites where I have seen good deals...You have to be on top of them and check them very frequently because those guns don't last long...

1. http://www.gunbroker.com/Air-Rifles/BI.aspx?Country=US

2. https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?C=6

3. http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php
(This is a good one I have sold many of my airguns here and have seen good deals being offered)

In general search using terms like: "Used Air Guns" , "Used ISSF Air Guns" , "Used Feinwerkbau 300S" , "Used Anschutz 380", etc...Those 2 mentioned are excellent guns, I had them both before the PCP era and those rifles are as accurate and nice as any modern/current ISSF PCP...

Regards,

AZ

I have a FWB 300S spring piston rifle and I paid $425 for it 10 years ago. At 10 meters is will make you dizzy with its accuracy. 20 yards or so it is still very good, but .177 drops off in energy very quickly. I have one of the HW 95's the other guys are talking about and if this is your first rifle I would say go with this model. You're going to need to know that the new spring piston gun is not likely to be accurate for the first 1000 rounds. Each gun is different, but be prepared to waste a good amount of time just getting past the break in period. On my BSA Supersport I just took the scope off and did iron sights offhand shooting on tin cans for a while and I was getting worried until one day the gun just settled down and started grouping. When it comes to spring piston air guns the triggers usually reek. The trigger on the HW 95 is amazing and will make you happy. You are also going to have to do some pellet testing to see what shoots best in your gun. Save your money during the break in period and then when you have 1000 shots through the gun buy some JSB Exacts , H&N Field Target Trophy, Barracuda Match, Crossman Premier lights and heavies in the cardboard box and ask a ton of questions. Being a member of the back yard gun club is pretty awesome. I live in the country so I am also a member of the front porch gun club. I shot competitive smallbore and I find spring pistons very challenging. As accurate as my FWB is, I don't shoot it much. Anybody can shoot it well. Break barrels are so convenient and minimalist.