Best state to live/retire ?

If "New California" manages to secede from California, that's going to be a real contender.

I live in NE Ohio, our winters probably out of your range. I would research southern Ohio. Ohio allows airguns for small game. No turkey or deer with airgun. Turkey would be a good time with airguns.
I enjoy winter in NE Ohio even though it curtails my airgunning somewhat, but I shoot in the basement and at my gun club on calmer days. Any more our winters are mild but I know southern Ohio rarely ever sees snow.

Georgia is very airgun friendly, can hunt small game, big game et all. Mountains to the north of the state and beach to the south. Conservative, but friendly folks, reasonable government. Can experience all four seasons, but not extreme at all unless down on the coast where heat and humidity rule. Many folks stop in Georgia on their way to Florida but never leave. :)

Surprised nobody has mentioned Missouri yet. I moved here 19 years ago after I retired from the Air Force and I've never looked back. Taxes are low. This state does not tax my military pension. No restrictive gun laws. You don't have the government here up in your face trying to control you. I don't hunt with air guns so I'm not sure about the regs involving that but I do know it's legal to hunt small game with an air gun. Lots of public land to hunt on here. Just check Missouri Dept of Conservation web site and you'll get all the info you need. Of course every thing could be different 15 years down the road.
Sorry the winters here can be very cold but I guess no place is perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhbrink and 450BM
I have always found it interesting that so many people subscribe to the notion of moving away from where they’ve lived, have friends and family, and have built up a network of support. For me, staying around where I have all these things have always been more important than anything else (although i must admit that when we get buried in 18+ inches of snow, or really miserable cold weather for weeks in the winter, I re-examine that trade-off again and again 😂)

That’s what makes the world go around I guess; the fact that we all have different preferences.

The truth is, for me it is very, very, simple. The wife says she’s not moving anywhere that’s more than 2 hours from the grandkids. End of story. If I move I’ll be eating from cans (cold) of baked beans for the rest of my life!

Chris

I have always found it interesting that so many people subscribe to the notion of moving away from where they’ve lived, have friends and family, and have built up a network of support. For me, staying around where I have all these things have always been more important than anything else (although i must admit that when we get buried in 18+ inches of snow, or really miserable cold weather for weeks in the winter, I re-examine that trade-off again and again 😂)

That’s what makes the world go around I guess; the fact that we all have different preferences.

The truth is, for me it is very, very, simple. The wife says she’s not moving anywhere that’s more than 2 hours from the grandkids. End of story. If I move I’ll be eating from cans (cold) of baked beans for the rest of my life!

Chris
The most important thing is that you are happy where you are. It doesn't matter where that is.

If "New California" manages to secede from California, that's going to be a real contender.

never going to happen

I retired 12 years ago, Looked around for a place to retire , Health took a dump, Never made it out of West Texas, Still might jump ship it I get the chance, Some one said 10 15 years things will change, Yep, A little sooner I think ,We just took in 15 million and going to be another 20 million in a year, All these people have to go somewhere, Got a friend that works on the Border he says the get aways could total three times that amount, Where are 140 million people going to go,
Mike

Reactions: douger
Take Idaho off your list. It was once a great place to live.
It is still 2A friendly and you would be bard pressed to find better opportunity for air gun hunting game animals.
BUT, housing prices have skyrocketed and the fields are now full of people, traffic sucks and it keeps getting worse.
I realize people move here looking for a better life and I truly hope they find it. It is just coming at the price of the quality of life us natives have enjoyed for decades. Such is life, nothing lasts forever.

Ill have what they are smoking! :LOL:

Chris
I live where I live because over a hundred years ago a relative from Finland decided to move here because he was use to 6 months of winter, lol. Now that I'm retired I want to live somewhere where you can actually be outside without fear of freezing to death if something goes wrong. There
is no big game hunting with airguns here so that sucks too.

Reactions: ChRiSiS and 450BM
Florida sounds nice. Good weather although maybe a bit warm in the summer. The best thing is it’s complete shift to red. Enough reasons for me.
I visited there in Aug in the panhandle and the humidity made people walking outside resemble the living dead. High humidity for even two months is a no go for me.

Reactions: wgd and 450BM