• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best state to live/retire ?

Thanks. I did 95% of the siding, etc, myself.

I didn't mention that 20 minutes from my place there's a shooting spot in the FS at 6000 ft elevation that we shoot as far out as 1900 yards.
Yeah what I miss here is being able to just drive out to places and shoot my firearms, that is one thing that will weight heavily into the choice of place to move to.

Reactions: steve123
I live where I live because over a hundred years ago a relative from Finland decided to move here because he was use to 6 months of winter, lol. Now that I'm retired I want to live somewhere where you can actually be outside without fear of freezing to death if something goes wrong. There
is no big game hunting with airguns here so that sucks too.
Yeah, that cold weather stuff ain’t no joke 😂

Just looking for opinions from you folks. I'm in my mid 50's. I am seriously considering moving to a different state when I retire, probably when I'm 65-70 yrs old.
My must haves-
Acreage
Big/small bore airgun hunting
No harsh winters
Low cost of living
and "friendly" this hobby as well as "other" hobbies that are similarly like it if you know what I mean. Semi off grid is not a deal breaker.
I'm not rich, but I'm not dirt poor either.
Just want to be comfortable and live a simple life.
Oklahoma! 100% red state, low cost of living, great hunting and fishing, mild winters but all four seasons. Spring and Fall are the two biggest reasons people live in Oklahoma.

Steve,
I apologize for bashing your state. We attended a wedding in Yuma in late August several years ago and it was just a blast furnace as you called it. That experience just left a bad picture in my memory of my one and only visit to your state. So in retrospect, I was very unfair and hope you and other readers will accept my apology. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of your area which shed a new light on my clouded viewpoint.

If your real serious I would definitely be looking hard now and buying ASAP... Land isn't getting any cheaper and they ain't making any more of it... Farm ground around here usually get sold off buy the kids in tiny 1 acre lots or less and sometimes as much as 10 acres when the elders pass .. shame really. I hope my kids (who are grown adults) see the real worth of my property other than the ole mighty dollar someday...

Reactions: Jaxjax and rc4fun
Just looking for opinions from you folks. I'm in my mid 50's. I am seriously considering moving to a different state when I retire, probably when I'm 65-70 yrs old.
My must haves-
Acreage
Big/small bore airgun hunting
No harsh winters
Low cost of living
and "friendly" this hobby as well as "other" hobbies that are similarly like it if you know what I mean. Semi off grid is not a deal breaker.
I'm not rich, but I'm not dirt poor either.
Just want to be comfortable and live a simple life.
Hey I just got back from visiting the big island. I have a friend who is getting into airguns and they bought land that is fairly secluded and reasonably priced there. We had a great time shooting his Uragun and killed three wild hogs with it. Ive got too much family/ commitments etc. to consider moving there but I was very impressed with the climate etc. since you’re already in Hawaii I thought perhaps that may be an option for you. It’s not overly populated, has great weather, lots of hunting opportunities, etc. My friends there live off grid.

Reactions: allinssd
Another reason to move to AZ is you have AoA and Penchetta here, two quality dealers! Seriously, AZ is getting overcrowded, not nearly looking anything like the way it used to be. Starting to resemble California, minus the coast. It’s sad how they’ve overdeveloped it here. If you’re looking up North, good luck-prices are still climbing fast. I certainly wouldn’t consider retiring here, but depending upon where you’re coming from, it might be a better place.

Capricorn Coast, Queensland Australia. God’s heaven on earth.
Gary
Visited Australia on my 10th wedding anniversary (a long long time ago). Sydney, Melbourne, Alice Springs and Cairns.
I especially like Cairns, banana trees, papaya trees and mango trees lined the streets. Great barrier reef with crystal blue water.
AND
They speak English there (with a slight accent). Wished they would drive on the right side of the street (LOL)
It was surreal celebrating Christmas in summer weather and YES when you flush the toilet it does rotate counter clockwise.

Last edited: