• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Springer To buy

I got the HW95L from recommendations on this forum and i am very pleased with this model. This airgun is accurate with all of the quality that you would expect from a German gun. AoA shipped the rifle double boxed & I replaced the scope as my wife wanted a scope with an illuminated reticle. I highly recommend the HW95 springer which we enjoy shooting from our back deck.

IMG_0386 1-20-2021 new rings.1616182088.jpg

Consistantly outshoot any springer past 40 yards except the RWS 54 and 56.

For how many shots until you have to refill? I sit down and shoot a few 100 at a time, every shot about as consistent as the one before, using a break-barrel. With a PCP, I have to get it to the "sweet spot" of what, 40-60 shots max? Likely way less, before getting a large dip/rise in numbers.

IMO, for under, oh, 50-yards, and if one isn't disabled in some way, a break-barrel would do just fine for the majority of backyardplinking and hunting. Just grab the gun, the ammo, and go. No prep-work, no extra gear to carry, no spending more than the gun costs to use it.

Just sayin', not a hater. Being practical. 😎

I will say I started off with PCP's and love them but wanted something to shot when my tank was empty and this past fall bought my first nice springer a HW97K black line stl, let me just say I'm hooked. 5 months later I now have that plus the .22 TX200, .177 HW98, .22 Diana 54 Air King Pro and now have a .177 FWB Sport on the way. All of them are great in their own way but if I only could keep one to shoot and enjoy it would be the HW97 hands down. Buy one, send it you Scott Schneider / Motorhead to tune and never look back.

I did fill and weight the butt of my stock and added an adjustable aluminum butt pad, which was super simple and made it feel even better. It is a laser and so sweet to shoot.

I got all those springers,all are good ,buttt to answer our question on the HW97 in the black thumbhole stock in .22 got that to,and I love it, the 97 has become one of my favorites , a R-9=95 is good, it is a lighter and easier to shoot than the 97....both are way better for ME than HW 50 or 30.

Got the AATX200,a beauty and great,but for me it is harder to load than need be....that said it is about the best and has a nice feel to it..

The black 97 in .22 is great,but if I had to carry around a springer all day the R-9 would be my choice,if not Get the 97...or tx200,nothing else...got it? LOL,It's all good.

I have springers all over the place from HW and one from Diana and another from Theoben. I also have PCPs and CO2, but those are really insignificant to me because they are not as easy as a good springer!

Looking for a springer is the solution to anyone looking for another air rifle or just starting.

My favorite powerful reliable accurate springer is the HW80.

A little less in size and weight is the HW95.

The 98s are absolute gems and I am only missing getting the .22; but in .22 I already have and excellent HW95L and HW80K so I am not pushing to add the "final" HW98 to my collection.

I also have fallen in absolute love with the .20 HW 50S and my HW35es. Superb rifles too.

An HW springer in any model is fantastic when you know its limits.

Benjamin Maximus with a $50 hand pump. Super easy to pump 2000psi. Super quiet with $25 Airgununiverse LDC. No Springer will be quieter.

Consistantly outshoot any springer past 40 yards except the RWS 54 and 56.

This is your answer for best springer to buy ??????
1f629.svg

OK RWS 54 or 56 nothing is more accurate than these springers out to two hundred yards. Try shoot 150 to 200 yards with all other mentioned springers-? Possible-? Not like these RWS 54 and 56.

He asked 4 the BEST SPRINGER and the John Whiscombes are no longer made or hard to find and whats the point of spending $3000.00 to $6000.00 today for THE BEST SPRINGERS EVER MADE IE Whiscombe JW Springer when a sub $200 Benjamin Maximus will likely shoot real close-?

The RWS 54 and 56 gets between 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch 50 yard groups all day long without even trying and 1 inch to 1.5 inch at 100 yards actually around 1.25 inch average many PCPs can't even do that. What other Springer currently produced can do this-?

Well if handicapped (zero plans to ever shoot past 35 yards anyway) only close range shooting 35 yards max any other Springer will do just fine but you do need to try hard to not your targets consistently and do the artillery hold unlike the FWS 55 and 56 just too dang easy to shoot hard to miss no need to even try hard.

i can't find the videos early 2020 posted by a crazy unsafe shooter not caring about his backstop I believe in Egypt or somewhere in the Middle East shooting doves off of rooftops at 180-200 yards with his 22 RWS 54.

Longest shot I recall shooting mine was between 180 and 200 yards bird kills and there were several in a row kills so it wasn't just luck. Anything 100 to 150 yards pretty much guaranteed kill with calm weather.

I own a lot of 54s and 56s and when you get an exceptional barrel you get 3/8 or less at 50 and sub MOA at 100. Not all will do it and in fact most will not. Check the average I posted that's more realistic.

FWIW, 

Monday, March 22, 2021

HW95L .22 (stock) FPS Pellet testing.

Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph & iPad APP

Created: 03/21/21 11:08 AM

Description: 10 shot test for H&N FTT 14.66 gr Notes 1: 25 yard target

Notes 2: Distance to Chrono(FT): 5.00

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.021

Bullet Weight(gr): 14.66

Temp: 51 °F cloudy day

BP: 1030.00 inHg

Altitude: 495 feet, Cary, NC 27511

Shot # FPS FT-LBS PF

10 679 15.01 9.95

9 694 15.68 10.17

8 692 15.59 10.14

7 691 15.55 10.13

6 688 15.41 10.09

5 695 15.73 10.19

4 681 15.10 9.98

3 687 15.37 10.07

2 694 15.68 10.17

1 686 15.32 10.06

Average: 688.7 FPS

SD: 5.5 FPS

Min: 679 FPS

Max: 695 FPS

Spread: 16 FPS

Shot/sec: 0.0

True MV: 702 FPS

Group Size (in): 0.00

The gun I like to shoot a lot is my FWB601, it's a SSP not a springer though. It's only 6pfe but it's wonderful in every way except for power. I've shot it at 40Y quite a bit. The wind blows the 8.4's a fair amount but that's part of the challenge. I also like the FWB300S series.

I sold all my springers except for a cheap CZ, including the TX200, but if I were to buy a springer again it'd be recoilless, as I decided I didn't like the funky recoil characteristics of a regular springer. I was raised on nice Diana's when I was a kid 50 years ago, and shot most of the better ones later in life, the only one that has some interest is the D54.

For me personally having tuned the whole lot for many shooters, it would have to be the 98 swapping it back to a HW95 stock, or re fitting the shorter Bull barrel of the 98 to the 95 (whichever you can get done cheapest) The 95s inherent slight muzzle flip needs it, while the shorter Bull barrel locks up like a fine shotgun in the solid 95 jaws...it just feels so much nicer to operate with the shorter Bull barrel....try it and love it.

50/99 is fine, but struggling to happily make power without some serious reworking, and not sure about the lines of the stock when compared to more graceful looking 95. It just looks more junior looking. The 98 stock just gives you more in every regard in beautiful dark wood.....but some do not like all the adjustment features.

TX just too over the top in luxury of the woodwork for a field weapon, but would be my choice for FT ...but FT is not my bag.

97 also fine but why go for extra weight of underlever contraptions and trickier loading access when compared to the simple break barrel of the 98/95 in the field situation...FT...yeah ok.

I’m new to the forums and just got back into airgun after about 15 years thing have changed a lot. I am looking to get back to the game. I would like to find a good used gun that I can learn the mechanicsof the the new gas pistons and riffles. Who and we’re is the best place to start looking and what is the best riffle to start with. Thank in advance