• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Best Springer combo (Gun, mounts & optics)

Hello gents,

My buddy wants return to the airgun hobby. He used to have a 20 cal. HW97k that I sold him several years ago. The purpose will be for pest control around his property, mostly green iguanas. Are there any good combo he should look at? He can always get everything separate. I just wanted to get feedback for any of you who have purchased a combo. I know there used to be an AoA RWS combo and an HW as well. Have any of you tried either one?

Thanks!

Most combos cut corners to make price more attractive. Usually the scope and or mount is the part that suffers. A good rifle is no good with a junk scope or mount and a good scope is no good with a junk cheap rifle. I know we all have budgets, so get the best you can afford to start or keep fixing and replacing over time spending even more hard earned money. If going with a spring powered rifle, be SURE the scope is rated for springer use!!!! Do the research and see what others have good experience with....

For the Iguana's I would go 22 or 25 cal , Not a lot of .25 cal guns out there, the one that comes to mind is the HW90 a gas ram model. rated by A)A at up to 725fps, not the highest velocity but around 25 gr + - Heavier pellets should give better penetration., but not as fast and flat shooting as smaller .177 pellets. One sale at AOA for $670 now, I am liking the Hawke airmax compact scopes on my springers now, springer rated and lifetime warranty.

For iguanas out to 25 yards you want a .22 or .25 putting out at least 18fpe at the muzzle, they get big and are tough. I’m in south Florida so I have some experience dealing with them, they are invasive and all over the place here. I’ve had excellent results with a $170 Hatsan 95 and $200 Hatsan 87 both in .25 shooting 16.5 grain lead free GTO pellets at 775 fps ish.

The HW97 in .20 won’t cut it unless your really, really close and hit them right, even with that I don’t think it will be instant lights out. If he’s stuck on the HW97/77 platform then he should get one in .25, Vortek it and shoot lead free 16.5 grain GTO pellets. Those pellets shoot flatter and penetrate very, very well even with this set up I would limit my shots to maybe 18 yards.

Not sure what his budget is but for iguanas I think he’s better off with an HW80, HW90, Diana 48, 460, 350 or something around those power levels. 

Ive been using a UTG Bug Buster 4x32.