• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best speed for acuracy benjamin marauder .25

I personally think that a speed between 840/850 fps for the .25 benjamin marauder with the jsb 25.4 grain pellets is the best speed for accuracy on long range (100+ yards). To back this up i added two external regulated (+/-2400PSI) 5 shot groups at 104 yards indoor (inner green circle is 3 cm) . This was shot with the shroud removed. The shroud has a negative impact on accuracy in my opinion (vertical spreading in my case; first gen marauder). http://s952.photobucket.com/user/Jan_Peter_Notebomer/media/WP_20150926_007_zpsmjfbey35.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 Would like to hear different opinions on this subject

The JSB work best upwards of 850 and to the 950 range depending on the barrel. I have shot The JSB pretty accurately till about 150 yards at 944 average.

The group's you posted are excellent for 104 yards. That's some good shooting right there. You mentioned that the shroud has a negative impact. Have you checked if the pellets are clipping by any chance? Even a slight brush against the shroud baffles or washers can impact accuracy. 

I have never taken the shroud off my second generation 25 Marauder which is factory configuration and shoots the JSB 25 gr pellets at ca 860 fps. My gun provides 1 1/2 to 2 inch eight shot groups at 100 yards. The Daystate Airwolf 25 also propels the pellets at the same approximate velocity but obtains ten shot groups much closer to 1 1/2 in at 100 yards.
My 25 Cricket propels the same pellet at just below 1000 fps and usually provides groups much closer to 1 1/2 inches. 
Tough to beat the Marauder in the price to performance ratio.

Did some testing with the O-ring between the shroud and the barrel band last saterday no succes. but dit not get good grouping without the shroud. I did something wrong that day. but i also did not trust the barrelband fix. So i changed 2 things.

1. Positioned te o-ring between the barrelband on the side that is the closest to the shroud end (end with the endcap). Hope this is understandable.
2. Changed the hammer spring tension to get the velocity up to 860 fps.

And yes succes!!! 

I got really nice groups at 104 yards even 0.8 inch groups (end to end) multiple times and even when the groups where not that great they stayed within 2 inches.
My first and second group of the evening (0.8 inch group) where shot with the 2011 batch (deeper skirt). To be sure that is wasn't the pellet i changed to the 2015 batch and groups started to open up but still accebtable and near the end shot two sub one inch groups with this batch. Still the 2011 pellet is the better pellet.

Also did some testing concerning trigger control. Normally i take my time and gently build up te pressure untill the trigger breaks. At the end i just pulled the trigger and got a nice 0.8 inch group. Will be testing this some more.

Had some issues with my external reg though at the end. Suddenly the pressure went up from 2400 psi to 2900 psi. Result lower velocity. At first i did not understand what was wrong. Could not see where the pellets where going. After checking the pressure. Things where obvious. Changed the regulator setting at home and now it seems to hold the 2400psi.