Other Best shipping method for a heavy springer?

We do not have a ups store close by. I tried to ship a broken stock for replacement, and could not label it as broken gunstock, stock anything that refered back to any kind of gun to print a prepaid shipping label. We do have a couple of pickup points in town, a CVS pharmacy and I think they require prepaid. I did finally discover a place called Going Postal, which is great, and they do not care what it is, and will even pack items for you. Last year I shipped on two occasions air pistols for resealing and repair and told them what they were. I had prepacked and no problem. I do think they went out Fed Ex as the lady looked up lowest shipping cost and quickest delivery and Fed Ex won out. They came back UPS though. I have shipped shotguns and rifles for repair via USPS with no problem and received a rifle bought using a C&R license via USPS.. About 20 years ago I received both rifles and on handgun via UPS, delivered to the house with no problem.

Reactions: fishing43
If you put the gun in a typical foam-lined hard case, it WILL MOVE within it, when dropped or handled roughly (ask me how I know...grrrrr). Scotch it up with cardboard or whatever to keep it stationary, and remove the sights or other fragile protuberances and wrap/pad them separately.

Just a thought, maybe you could take the barrel off to reduce length, instead of the stock? And take the barrel sleeve off to reduce weight, for sure.

A guy once shipped me a rifle, ingeniously labeled "pneumatic hole puncher," via UPS, LOL.

Please take the time and care to remove the stock. No packaging, other than a crate can actually save it from a stiff hit on the butt end, resulting in a broken stock at the wrist.
Think of the hours and cost you would lose in trying to locate and purchase a replacement stock for a long out of production gun. Much easier to take the time and precautions up front.
An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure...

Here is how I have successfully shipped many guns.

☝️This right here is the best advise IMHO. Here is my method.
I've resealed many Giss guns. I always receive, and ship with stock removed. It is important to carefully wrap up the rear of the action so the three pins holding the trigger and anti-fire lever don't fall out. (They are not super loose). I do always insist that the stock be sent also. Test firing the gun after the work is completed, without the stock on, is very awkward, and somewhat dangerous.
Wrap both action and stock separately with bubble wrap.
The box will be shorter= less possible damage, and less $ to ship.
I shake the finished box as hard as I can, trying to feel any movement. If I do, I open and add more packing and repeat.
I've received two guns over the years with breaks at the stocks grip. But never when shipping with the above method, and advising the customer to do the same. YMMV.

I would avoid USPS like the plague right now. I have items MIA and they can't give me any clue as to where they are. Some of these were online sales, and I fear I'm going to have to refund the buyers, just for it to show up a month late and they keep the item AND the money.

Sadly, I don't think too many people would remit payment. They were ebay sales, so maybe if the tracking updated to delivered they might recharge the buyer. I dunno, I don't trust them much anymore.

So yeah, use UPS or FedEx right now, and just get your label off Pirateship.

Watch out for them now too, I've had them charge me extra after a delivery, stating it was a "carrier adjustment".

Reactions: JDR

Long Rifle Box
lined with Convoluted Foam

50" x 9-1/4" x 3-5/8"

(inside dimensions)

275-lb test singlewall corrugated
heavy-duty carton

We've added 3 inches of soft polyurethane convoluted (eggcrate) foam, with a VERY aggressive overlap, to ensure a tight fit for your firearm during shipping. This foam is much thicker than standard gun case foam.

As a bonus, two end “bumpers” are included. These are one-inch-thick pieces of pliable polyethylene foam, laminated to thick fiberboard, which act as shock absorbers in the ends of the box. They protect the barrel and stock in case of repeated drops.

NOTE: The bumpers do reduce the interior length of the box. If the entire 50" interior length is required, just remove the bumpers.

Also included is a length of cotton tubing, which can be stretched tightly around the firearm. Simply slide the tubing over the firearm and tie off each end. The tubing will enable the convoluted foam to “grab” the gun, preventing the gun from sliding around. This is very useful for wooden-stocked or more slender firearms. The cotton will not stretch over many assault-style firearms, but those usually stay in place on their own due to all of their irregular surfaces.

Foam is glued to the inside of the box to prevent sliding.

There is no printing on these cartons to identify them as containing a firearm.

These are what I use. CAMERON PACKAGING

Rifle_ConvFoam_Assembled_sm.jpg

Rifle_ConvFoam_Unassembled_sm.jpg

Thanks for all the info. Who would you ship it through?

Lewis, that's how i've shipped in the past, with the stock off and never had any problems. That's my concern shipping with the stock on. It would make me sick if the stock got broken.
I to sent 1 to David Slade. Per his instructions, do not remove the stock. Shipped in bubble rap and hard case with card board and packing tape outer.

I would avoid USPS like the plague right now. I have items MIA and they can't give me any clue as to where they are. Some of these were online sales, and I fear I'm going to have to refund the buyers, just for it to show up a month late and they keep the item AND the money.

Sadly, I don't think too many people would remit payment. They were ebay sales, so maybe if the tracking updated to delivered they might recharge the buyer. I dunno, I don't trust them much anymore.

So yeah, use UPS or FedEx right now, and just get your label off Pirateship.

Watch out for them now too, I've had them charge me extra after a delivery, stating it was a "carrier adjustment".
100% agree. Bought a vintage BB gun recently and USPS tracking showed it at the same place for 7 days. Seller got involved but not sure it did any good. Showed up a week later at my house but the tracking had not changed..

100% agree. Bought a vintage BB gun recently and USPS tracking showed it at the same place for 7 days. Seller got involved but not sure it did any good. Showed up a week later at my house but the tracking had not changed..
It's really unbelievable when you consider how well they get paid and all the time off, benefits, etc.

Can't tell me it's a tech problem, it's a lazy people problem. They just don't even bother to scan packages half the time. I've also noticed an uptick in the wrong mail getting delivered to me, or showing up way later than the dates on some of my house bills.

Can't really do much besides bend over and take it up the tail pipe!

Reactions: JDR and bustachip
It's really unbelievable when you consider how well they get paid and all the time off, benefits, etc.

Can't tell me it's a tech problem, it's a lazy people problem. They just don't even bother to scan packages half the time. I've also noticed an uptick in the wrong mail getting delivered to me, or showing up way later than the dates on some of my house bills.

Can't really do much besides bend over and take it up the tail pipe!
You can cancel most all paper bills and receive them on your phone, the less that comes in the mailbox the better IMO. I agree lazy, incompetent and entitled. Not all, but a big number of workers these days have no pride in what they do. I see it everyday.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein