• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Best scope for PRS & NRL22

Thoughts on the Athlon Argos 6-24 BTR Gen2 FFP? Picked one up for ~$410. IMO the glass is marginally better than the FFP Helix. I don't love the hex on the turret caps, but I can live with it. I like the feel of the turrets and parallax better than the Helix.

Hi,
I own 4 Argos 6x24s - two Gen 1s and two Gen 2s.

Its a good scope at its price point - glass is clear even at 24x. Turrets track consistently.

It has cross hairs rather than using a center dot. I find the cross hairs to be a bit thicker than I’d prefer at 24x. It depends on how small your target is as to whether its an issue.

Have you checked out the Arken EPL-4 6x24? It’s currently on sale for $330 and has a center dot reticle. Glass and turrets at least as good as Athlon Argos. I have an EPL-4 and like it a lot.

-Ed

Thoughts on the Athlon Argos 6-24 BTR Gen2 FFP? Picked one up for ~$410. IMO the glass is marginally better than the FFP Helix. I don't love the hex on the turret caps, but I can live with it. I like the feel of the turrets and parallax better than the Helix.

I know its a bit more money and is heavier but the Helos G2 6-24 is a couple notches up in more than a few ways than the Argos. I sold my G1 Argos and friends have the G2 Argos scopes so I've been around quite a few.

No plans to go back to the Argos though these certainly are decent scopes.

Hi,
I own 4 Argos 6x24s

Have you checked out the Arken EPL-4 6x24? It’s currently on sale for $330 and has a center dot reticle. Glass and turrets at least as good as Athlon Argos. I have an EPL-4 and like it a lot.

-Ed
I've always been a fan of higher magnification capability and was recently looking for something to replace my 4-14x44 Athlon Talos. I considered it an entry level scope that I originally purchased to put on a springer. I found a good deal on an Athlon Ares BTR GEN2 but when it arrived someone had tossed in an used Argos, the old switcheroo. I compared the Argos, the Talos as well as the Ares. No doubt the Ares was the best image, but it seemed hazy to me above maybe 16x. I ordered an Arken EPL4 6-24x50 and compared it to the Ares, resulting in the Ares being sent back. Two things turned me off when it comes to the Ares, the haziness at higher magnification and the fact that the eye box got super tight at higher magnification. The nail in the coffin for the Ares was the inability to focus below 25 yards. It might be an awesome solution for someone working entirely from a bench though.

IMHO, you don't need 24x to shoot air rifles in PRS or NRL-22.
I've been looking for a long time for a good alternative for the Delta Striker 6x but there's nothing as good. Most LPVOs are for center fire so most have a fixed 100 yard parallax.
I looked at crossbow scopes and some have a fixed 50 yard parallax but I didn't like the numbered holdover values.
I looked into the prismatic scopes but the last time tried to buy one, I couldn't find anyone in the states to buy one.
I saw one shooter at RMAC use a LPVO 1-5x 100 yard parallax scope and did very well. He did say the stop plate at 12 yards was blurry but was still able to hit it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chard
Y’all are gonna think I’m crazy, but my favorite scope is still my SWFA 10x42. HD. I just love that scope. It’s a little older than anything else I have but it’s just feels like home. I have a Hawke airmax, it’s ok, I have a US Optics and I like it. But the old super sniper (with a lisp) just seems to find its way onto whatever rifle I’m shooting. It’s flaw? Zero stops. It would be almost Godly if it was blessed with those. Oddly enough, I just shoot better with it than my NF. Same gun, same tune. I just shoot better with the tasco. Weird

Y’all are gonna think I’m crazy, but my favorite scope is still my SWFA 10x42. [...] It’s a little older than anything else I have but it’s just feels like home. [...] — Weird.

Not crazy.
Not weird.

Just human. 👍🏼 😊

➠ Because humans are creatures of habit.
We generally dislike change (unless the change is a change in salary, meaning an increase.... 😉)

➠ That's why most people are not really all that excited about progress
or improved teaching methods — or new crop seeds — or anything else that can be improved and developed....
Because it requires change.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matthias

Reactions: Exodus
Not crazy.
Not weird.

Just human. 👍🏼 😊

➠ Because humans are creatures of habit.
We generally dislike change (unless the change is a change in salary, meaning an increase.... 😉)

➠ That's why most people are not really all that excited about progress
or improved teaching methods — or new crop seeds — or anything else that can be improved and developed....
Because it requires change.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matthias
Thank you for that.

Back on topic, I don’t have an element scope, but I do have a Hawke. Here’s what I like:
Pros: it’s clear, not NF clear but pretty dang good. A little clouding on the edge at max power but very very minimal.
The crosshairs are very crisp and I really like the skeletonized duplex towards the edge.
Parallax is crisp and seems to be pretty close to distance, but it will trick you little if you’re using the focus ring to dial for distance.
Elevation and wind age turrets seem to track very well and have a distinct click when moved.
Mine is a compact, so there’s added challenges to make everything fit and work. All in all, I like it.
Cons: crosshairs are a bit thick/large, it’s easy to cover a small target at range especially if you’re just using hood over.
No half Mil hash marks in the crosshairs to hold when using Kentucky windage.
I guess really that’s my only complaint, I just don’t particularly like the crosshairs. Everything else is pretty good. Awesome box, I mean top notch. Illumination could work as a flashlight, it’s bright. I just wish the crosshairs were better for what I do.
Long range precision(75-150yds) on mainly starlings. Hope that helps.

Andy