• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Best scope for PRS & NRL22

Too broad a topic to entice people to contribute their thoughts.

Where is the best place to live? What is the best automobile?

Everything is a compromise...be it cost, size, weight, reticle type, magnification, etc. Maybe try identifying some preferences or setting some constraints (e.g. under $1500).

Everything is a compromise...be it cost, size, weight, reticle type, magnification, etc. Maybe try identifying some preferences or setting some constraints (e.g. under $1500).

Under 1500usd$. For PRS. Maybe some input from people who compete.

The most popular scopes are FFP, MIL/MIL, 5-25-ish, and with tree reticles.

Typically the more money you spend on a scope the happier you'll be.

Entry level my choice would be a Athlon Helos G2 6-24x56. The Vector Continental 5-30x56 is close to the HG2 but lacks in the turret department. You can get away with lesser scopes but at some price point you are more likely to run into reliability issues.

Mid level " " would be a Athlon Cronus G2 4.5-29x56 or a Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56. I haven't tried this Burris but these have a good reputation.

Tier 2 " " would be a Vortex G3 6-36x56. Seems to be very close to the Tier1's from what I've read.

Tier 1 " " would be a Tangent Theta 7-35 for centerfire or really any of these teir 1's will suffice that have 25Y parallax or less for airgun or 22rf in NRL.

Been tempted to try the Burris and the Vortex the most lately.

The most popular scopes are FFP, MIL/MIL, 5-25-ish, and with tree reticles.

Typically the more money you spend on a scope the happier you'll be.

Entry level my choice would be a Athlon Helos G2 6-24x56. The Vector Continental 5-30x56 is close to the HG2 but lacks in the turret department. You can get away with lesser scopes but at some price point you are more likely to run into reliability issues.

Mid level " " would be a Athlon Cronus G2 4.5-29x56 or a Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56. I haven't tried this Burris but these have a good reputation.

Tier 2 " " would be a Vortex G3 6-36x56. Seems to be very close to the Tier1's from what I've read.

Tier 1 " " would be a Tangent Theta 7-35 for centerfire or really any of these teir 1's will suffice that have 25Y parallax or less for airgun or 22rf in NRL.

Been tempted to try the Burris and the Vortex the most lately.
Thank you so much for that input! Gives me a place to start. I'm currently trying to get a set up together... If and whenthe opportunity presents itself. Thanks again!

Reactions: steve123

And obviously.. In your opinion. Which I did want to know... I realize no one has the only answer.

Thank you. I've heard a lot of good things about vortex.
I have read mixed reviews on other models but these particular ones are discontinued , I guess vortex had a hard time continuing to source the glass for this particular scope so instead of downgrading and making a bad name of it they just discontinued it. I liked it so much I bought the second and last one my local shop had in stock.

Reactions: M0ist0ne
I have read mixed reviews on other models but these particular ones are discontinued , I guess vortex had a hard time continuing to source the glass for this particular scope so instead of downgrading and making a bad name of it they just discontinued it. I liked it so much I bought the second and last one my local shop had in stock.
I'll be on the lookout. What is the weight of yours?

Definitely first focal plane
Competitor preference is generally Mil
A zero stop is a big plus
Retical design is subjective
As much internal travel as you can get
Spend as much as possible! You can always move scopes to other rifles as your tastes increase. Look through as many in person as possible. Everyone has different eyes and certain coatings will appear better than others per individual.

I have a Optisan EVX gen ll 6-24x50 First focal and it’s even more clear as the previous one i have!
This one also has stainless inner parts so doesn’t were out anytime fast! Markings on the parralax wheel match realtime!

Included are a throwlever, sunshade, extra turret cap where you can put youre own data on! And flipup caps.
Also has quick zero adjustment bij unscrewing the cap!

I’m going to use it when we organise our first NRL air and .22lr match!!

I’m quite happy with it!

IMG_0349.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

I have a Optisan EVX gen ll 6-24x50 First focal and it’s even more clear as the previous one i have!
This one also has stainless inner parts so doesn’t were out anytime fast! Markings on the parralax wheel match realtime!

Included are a throwlever, sunshade, extra turret cap where you can put youre own data on! And flipup caps.
Also has quick zero adjustment bij unscrewing the cap!

I’m going to use it when we organise our first NRL air and .22lr match!!

I’m quite happy with it!

View attachment 375136

View attachment 375137

View attachment 375138
And the First model from 3 years ago..

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

If you’re shooting air rifles out to 100Y for NRL22 or even out to 300 for the NRL22-X matches, anything over $500 discounted is really overkill. Your Tier2 scope like the Athlon Cronus is only minutely better at $1600 discounted compared to the Athlon Midas TAC (FFP) or BTR gen2 (SFP), both discounted in the $500 range. Save your money unless it makes you feel better.

Running NF 4-32 NX8 on my RimX for 22 matches and either NF 7-35 ATACR or March FX 5-42 for PRS-style matches (the extra magnification with the March is not optimal for PRS, but I also shoot long range matches with that gun).

The older your eyes get, the more you appreciate the higher end scopes. A tip for younger guys: if you don't want to spend a lot on high end glass, when someone at a match asks if you want to look through a high-end scope, just say no. :)

The older your eyes get, the more you appreciate the higher end scopes. A tip for younger guys: If you don't want to spend a lot on high end glass, when someone at a match asks if you want to look through a high-end scope, just say no.

Art,

very good advice for me...! 👍🏼
OK, I understand that older eyes need higher magnification, or clearer glass, so yeah, I shouldn't be ruling out a Tier 2 at some point.

Matthias

However, thank you Mike:
If you’re shooting air rifles out to 100Y or 300 for matches, anything over $500 discounted is really overkill. Your Tier2 scope like the Athlon Cronus is only minutely better at $1600 discounted compared to the Athlon Midas TAC (FFP) or BTR Gen2 (SFP), both discounted in the $500 range. Save your money unless it makes you feel better.

Mike,

we all have been doing a fair amount of enabling.... And all with good intentions.

And I confess I've been toying with the Tier 2 and Tier 1 temptation for a while now, justifying it with "long range shooting" sometime in the future.

Comments like yours bring me back on solid ground. I appreciate it, really. 👍🏼
I can't (and therefore, shouldn't) afford such an expensive optic at this point (extremely good deals nonwithstanding).
➧ My constant desire for more, bigger, better, higher, clearer... — sometimes gets the best of me.

Matthias