• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best scope for HW30 targets @ 25 yards?

Just ordered an HW30, will be used primarily for offhand targets at 25 yards on an indoor range, may occasionally get pressed into service to dispatch a rabbit raiding the garden. Old eyes mean an optic, looking at options.

Light transmission and clarity will be very important. Won't be dialing for different ranges so that isn't critical, neither is a mil or ranging reticle. 

A simple duplex reticle in a fixed 4x would be adequate but the market doesn't lean that way. A 2-7 or even a 3-9 would certainly work, especially as options will be more available.

Suggestions?

Your mileage may vary since some dislike the AMX reticle while others, myself included, very much like them. I have 6 German rifles, all 6 wear Hawke Airmax scopes. No doubt there are other great scopes out there for the variations I see others use, I've just had great luck with Hawke and stuck with them.

My R7 .177 has a 3-9x40 set to 8x in medium Hawke rings. Target was the 10 Dimes challenge which is the 10 targets in the picture, shot from 25 yards, 3 shots to each of the 10. Yeah, it's gonna stay put...lol.

Beeman R7 .177 Bench 1.1635217723.jpg

Beeman R7 .177 10 Dimes.1635217732.jpg

Thanks for the replies. 

With this rifle being a springer is it known for being hard on glass, needing springer rated scopes or are higher quality "regular" scopes ok to use?

I have read of several Leupold 3-9x33 EFRs being used on HW30s so I assume with the HW30's low power it isn't a problem. 

That is likely the scope that will end up on mine. My indoor range is 14 yards so being able to focus close is nice. 

Kingpin,,, The HW30 is not a scope killer, if your budget allows, there are many more expensive options already mentioned by fellow shooters willing to help spend your $. As to your described usage, the Hawke Vantage 4x mildot with AO will do everything you need. I own two of these scopes on my grandsons' HW30 and R7 and the rifles will stack JSB 7.33gr pellet on pellet at your designated range. I also own a pair of Airmax AMX scopes in the above mentioned 2-7 and 3-9 models on other pcp rifles and they too are very nice scopes, with a much more extravagant etched reticle. Either way you choose ALL mentioned scopes have excellent warranty backing, if needed.

I have read of several Leupold 3-9x33 EFRs being used on HW30s so I assume with the HW30's low power it isn't a problem. 

Leo's can take any power level springer. They are tanks. I have one on my R7 and it's a great weight match, if you can swing the cost.

They say you should always spend more on your optics than your arms, but when it's a limited range rifle I'd think there's a diminishing return factor unless your resources are unlimited. For some, that's a March scope, for some a Leo, for some a Vector Marksman 10x44 for some a Centerpoint. 

I just put a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR Freedom on an older Beeman HW97 .20 cal. The scope is really clear and bright for having a smaller objective. I set up targets from 13 to 50 yards and found the AO markings we're accurate. At 9x the crosshairs are thin enough to allow for precise shot placement. On my scope the windage & elevation adjustments are not really audible clicks, but each turn can be felt. That's okay since I plan to zero and leave it set. The matte finish is alright for field use and looks good with BKL rings. Overall I think its a well built scope that should last.