Best scope for hunting on PCP

For hunting I run all my scopes on 10 power. One requirement is lightweight. I like 2nd focal plane scopes for hunting because the reticle doesn't get to small when turning the magnification down. 

I really like dot reticle scopes. I prefer Tac Vector 4.5-18x50 or Vector Optics from Edgun west. He has a 4-16x44 Vector which has the eliminated dot. Which for crow hunting I really like. The Tac Vector and the Vector series have really good glass for the $$.

Well, I was analyzing info of a review by a gun Smith. The dude said 50 scopes are a gimmick a 40 is just as good. I my self got a great deal on a gold ring. Checked its authentication with a phone call to gold ring home office. Buy you know I have a 45 dollar scope and it works with almost no noticeable difference as the gold ring to a certain point of distance out to around or a little more than 400 yards. From around that mark or click onward I noticed the gold ring makes it easier. If I want to hit a 5 by 7 inch target at 1000 yards plus than I must use the gold ring. 

Best scope is subjective to opinion and scenarios. Fixed 6 power close in. 4-16 power is great too at short and even out to 100 yards. I also have 24 power scopes. Whatever 

I suppose the most important factor to me most of the time is if the scope gathers light into the shadows. And I also like the digital scopes with IR gathering capabilities because they work day or night as well as at twilight. 

I tried that latest Gen 2 Arken. I've seen a critique of it. And it was spot on, the eye box is a problem or at least less than ideal. 

And I get why some people prefer second focal plane because the reticle can be tiny. 

I suspect your opinion might change as you use different scopes under varying conditions.. 

I have found that sometimes a cheaper scope is just as good as something costing 5 times as much under some scenarios. 

🔹The above post is the second post* in this thread,

• that says exactly the same thing,

• and is by members with almost no posts at all (6 and 13).

• There is no reasoning what magnification, or what features to look for, FFP or SFP, reticle choices, nothing — only a brand recommendation (a "command," really) — but again, no reasoning why that particular brand.... 

Strikes me odd (and unhelpfully opinionated).

🔹However, this thread enjoyed some excellent posts and reflections on scope features and scope use. 👍🏼👍🏼

🔸Now, we'd all like to know if our recommendations and explanations in this thread helped the original poster (OP), Maarodigro, and what he ended up buying.... 👍🏼 

Maarodigro, are you there? 😊

Matthias

*First post:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/best-scope-for-hunting-on-pcp/#post-1176410

I guess the only one that can tell you which scope is the best for your airgun is you.

You must have some buddies who have scopes you could look through and see if you like what see. Local sporting goods store ? PCP'S don't have the same recoil as springers , so just about any scope will work.

Ball is in your court. Have fun choosing the best scope that fits your needs. 

Mike

I’m leaning towards trying out MTC’s prismatic scope from their SWAT lineup or a more budget friendly prismatic from Immersive Optics. I like the idea of a decent amount of magnification, light weight scope,only parallax to adjust and 3-4x the field of view to better acquire target. Anyone tried any of these?

90D68F45-734B-4FC9-BDA5-2BBE1C194C20.1648746234.jpeg

Whe first researching prismatics scopes it seemed the perfect design for PCP hunting: a WIDE field of view at close ranges for quick target acquisition — but without the disadvantages that usually come with it, namely a low magnification.

Some guys reported their experiences with the prismatic scopes over on GTA.

Cableaddict (sceeen name) used a 10x or 14x, I think, and reported a wonderfully wide field of view

and an abysmal depth of field (parallax and sharpness range). Meaning that getting quarry in focus required really fine tedious adjustments — and if the quarry moved just a little closer or farther away — focus AGAIN! This kind of fiddeling with the parallax wasted the time saved with a quick target acquisition helped by the wide field of view of the prismatic.

Well, in a hurry I jumped off the bandwagon that I had been pushing this far....! 🙄

Matthias

PS: And the bigger the objective lens, the smaller the parallax and sharpness range (depth of field).

Nothing is free in the optics universe, it all has its price..... 🙄

Not sure what you consider "long range", but to me , in a hunting situation, 60yrds is long range! My Airforce wears a 2-7x35 Burris Fullfield which is 50yrd pa free. The scope is short, light & very bright! Heavy plex makes the reticle easy to see in low light & the small size keeps the gun weight in check. IMO it has plenty of power for 100 yrd shots on non game critters.

For me, "long range" on my air guns usually means 30 meters. "Short range" is anywhere from 0 to 10 meters. 

So any scope needs to focus at 10m, and ideally closer at the low-magnification range. I like it to zoom up to 8x, and down (ideally) to 1x. I went with a March 1-10x "shorty". I think it cost more than any of my guns. So it's not really a budget scope. But it's lovely. 

Screenshot from 2022-04-11 01-59-55.1649667602.png

Maybe the main downside is at high zoom levels, it's not letting much light in. So at higher zoom ranges, it's a daytime scope. Not very effective at dusk. But for that I have an IR scope. 

Going down to 1x basically allows the scope to double as a red dot.