Best rifle around $300-400 for hunting squirrels and rabbits?

As others have said, the AV Avenger is a very accurate gun at a very good price. But in some ways it does feel like a cheap plastic toy.... at least the plastic stock version does. Dar gen 3 is cheaper and nicer, it's all metal and wood and it's going to be more hand pump friendly. But, if it were me, I'd skip the hand pump. That gets old pretty quickly.
Yeah my Avenger stayed in the plastic stock for like 2 weeks haha I did a tactical stock and bottle mod etc. Shoots great but I do miss it being only 6.4 pounds unscoped with that creaky plastic stock! 350cc bottle mod has me pumping 225 times from 2k psi to 4k psi with a 4 stage pump but I get 85+ shots at 30 fpe +. Way more energy than my springers. Zips through a rabbit head at 40.5 yards w/18.13 gr.

Reactions: Phil.Probe
Are not PCPs generally louder than a high end springer? Did see an article that said they mostly were but could not find any other articles. Hopefully owners of many of both types can weigh in. Talking about a FWB 124, HW or Air Arms vs a decent PCP of similar price range. That is one reason why I hesitate to buy a PCP is my neighborhood where houses are close and Prudes abound in large numbers. My Crossman 140 and Sheridan Bluestreak are definitely louder than my FWB 124 and sound closer to a firearm in sound type so I only shoot a few shots out my back door. Don't have a PCP yet.

Also I am told by a vendor that PCPs eventually will leak so you need to know how to reseal them. All 2 of my pumpers I own have had to be resealed despite storing with 2 pumps in a 10 year period. I had my FWB 124 for 40 years and I did finally get a reseal and new spring but it really did not need it. It shot accurate and powerful all 40 years. I really did it for the Maccari spring and tune so now it shoots better. Also PCPs can hold air for a longer time than you can leave a springer cocked so less likely to spook game while you are hunting with a PCP although gas ram springers avoid this problem. Either will work but the easier shooting of the PCP stated by others is a biggie if you are not the patient sort and have plenty of time to practice. I think either will be fine for hunting under 50 yards. I also think high end springers are more beautiful than PCPs if you like wood and steel conventional rifle look.

Last edited:
This. Springers are perfect for rabbits and squirrels and pests. Weihrauch's come with very accurate iron sights, a scope and rings can be saved for. A tin of pellets and a rifle, thats it. PCP's need a way to fill them. Hand pumping is not fun, a tank or compressor is big money.

The HW95 .22 and some H&N Field Target Trophy .22 pellets is all you need. Very accurate out to 50 yards and enough power for ethical kills at that distance.
My compressor was $200 and handpump was $60.
Are not PCPs generally louder than a high end springer? Did see an article that said they mostly were but could not find any other articles. Hopefully owners of many of both types can weigh in. Talking about a FWB 124, HW or Air Arms vs a decent PCP of similar price range. That is one reason why I hesitate to buy a PCP is my neighborhood where houses are close and Prudes abound in large numbers. My Crossman 140 and Sheridan Bluestreak are definitely louder than my FWB 124 and sound closer to a firearm in sound type so I only shoot a few shots out my back door. Don't have a PCP yet.

Also I am told by a vendor that PCPs eventually will leak so you need to know how to reseal them. All 3 of my pumpers I own have had to be resealed despite storing with 2 pumps in a 10 year period. I had my FWB 124 for 40 years and I did finally get a reseal and new spring but it really did not need it. It shot accurate and powerful I really did it for the Maccari spring and tune so now it shoots better. Also PCPs can hold air for a longer time than you can leave a springer cocked so less likely to spook game while you are hunting with a PCP although gas ram springers avoid this problem. Either will work but the easier shooting of the PCP stated by others is a biggie if you are not the patient sort and have plenty of time to practice. I think either will be fine for hunting under 50 yards. I also think high end springers are more beautiful than PCPs if you like wood and steel conventional rifle look.
My NP03 is 90db.

Found another article that said PCPs were more quiet than springers. LOL. I do not have a sound meter. Found the below data on the internet. Decibel sound scale is logarithmic meaning 10 dB difference is 10 times louder and 20 dB difference is 100 times louder. A 5 dB difference 3.2 times louder. A 1 dB difference is 1.3 times louder.

A library – 30dBs
Conversational talking – 60 dBs
The Beeman R7 springer – 64.3 dBs (R7 is 2.7 times louder than a conversation talking)
A toilet flushing – 70dBs
The Crosman 1322 (3 pumps) pistol pumper – 76.1 dBs
The FX Crown PCP – 80 Dbs

A vacuum Cleaner – 80 dBs
The Benjamin Marauder PCP– 88.7 dBs (heard this was a fairly quiet reasonably priced PCP)
A garbage disposal – 85 dBs
A tractor – 90 dBs
The AirForce Texan SS PCP– 98.6 dBs
A Blender – 100 dBs

Saw one article that said 85 dB and below was backyard friendly. Backyard noise friendly is the main reason a HW 30 urban pro or the HW 50 Hunter are 2 springers on my list.
I am guessing my FWB noise level is between a Beeman R7 and a Benjamin Marauder but closer to the Marauder. However the more the noise type is closer to a firearm the worse it is for the backyard.

Last edited:
To answer JDRs question about leaks and loudness I'd weigh in that my Crosman Fire from 2016 has never had an issue and I'm sure I've gone through 3,000 pellets easily. It is gas ram. It was like $100. Wouldn't say it is loud but the Diamondback I have is definitely quieter. Has built in suppression.

My Avenger has had 2,500 through it and hasn't had a leak. Leaks in pcps are more from cheap O rings ripping or tearing from no silicone grease or age. As with anything, more parts means more to possibly go wrong. However the majority of o rings are under constant pressure and are squished in a way that seals up. It is actually when you leave a PCP Un pressurized that it may leak. And also the o rings typically breaking are those on a pellet probe that move not the ones that are in the block. But anyway, o rings are very cheap, a whole set to replace all of mine was like $20.

Because of how much air is being forced out at such high pressures (2,000 psi in my Avengers case) it is loud, like PB loud with out a moderator. But luckily we have an awesome guy at Buck Rail making LDCs that are stupid cheap but also amazingly effective. check it out, he has some for most popular models and some that are generic for typical threads youll find.

My Avenger is so quiet with Bucks' non tapered LDC, but also makes basically twice the FPE of my Diamondback. I hear the metal target at 73 yards more than my shot.

A Marauder is supposed to be the quietest stock OEM gun out there and I'd agree they are really quiet. However they are overpriced and unregulated. I wouldn't recommend one in 2023.

Found another article that said PCPs were more quiet than springers. LOL. I do not have a sound meter. Found the below data on the internet. Decibel sound scale is logarithmic meaning 10 dB difference is 10 times louder and 20 dB difference is 100 times louder. A 5 dB difference 3.2 times louder. A 1 dB difference is 1.3 times louder.

A library – 30dBs
Conversational talking – 60 dBs
The Beeman R7 springer – 64.3 dBs (R7 is 2.7 times louder than a conversation talking)
A toilet flushing – 70dBs
The Crosman 1322 (3 pumps) pistol pumper – 76.1 dBs
The FX Crown PCP – 80 Dbs

A vacuum Cleaner – 80 dBs
The Benjamin Marauder PCP– 88.7 dBs (heard this was a fairly quiet reasonably priced PCP)
A garbage disposal – 85 dBs
A tractor – 90 dBs
The AirForce Texan SS PCP– 98.6 dBs
A Blender – 100 dBs

Saw one article that said 85 dB and below was backyard friendly. Backyard noise friendly is the main reason a HW 30 urban pro or the HW 50 Hunter are 2 springers on my list.
I am guessing my FWB noise level is between a Beeman R7 and a Benjamin Marauder but closer to the Marauder. However the more the noise type is closer to a firearm the worse it is for the backyard.
What power are these at? I am sure at 12fpe they are super quiet. I dont shoot anything under 28fpe, including.177

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
I've heard about the Weihrauch HW50S and Gamo Urban, but I'm not sure if these are the only options. I'd want something somewhat quiet but effective. Also, what's the best type of air rifle for hunting (i.e. PCP or break barrel)? Sorry, I'm completely new to this type of stuff.
I just got a new HW50S in .20 caliber and so far I’m loving it! Charles

The OP asking for advice was last seen the day he asked for advice, 10 months back. Only the one post and probably never read any of the replies.
the thread was revived by a person who has since deleted his comment,,, as I responded to his comment, questioning the link he posted in his comment, it smelled of a scam site. After he was deleted, my comment looked out of place, so I deleted my comment,,

rats25 was just commenting about his gun after he saw the, now deleted two posts, so please realize that things happen behind the scene that you missed,,, but his opinion about the Airacuda is well agreed by many, but there are also some negatives, yet most seem happy
I don't know, I have not broke down and bought one ,,, yet
have a good one :)

Go with a PCP semi auto for a clean kill. If the first shot is not clean then immediately try again. Break actions and pumps are too slow to reload and CO2 is hit or miss unless using a full auto at 30'.
:oops: :oops:.... I'm taking this post as a sarcastic one, please correct me if I'm wrong.