Best rat bait?

Yup. Peanut butter! 
Rats and Squirrels can't get enough of the stuff.. 
In the past, I've used JIF 'Crunchy', and it worked Amazingly!

Years ago, my uncle said that they'll also eat flour.. No clue why.. 
He's a bit demented, so he'd mix the flour + powdered Quikrete.. 
When they ate that combo, it would harden in about 30-45 minutes.
Their stomach contents turn completely solid, and they dirt nap real quick.

Never a dull one..

🤣👍

Sam -

Read an article on ratting in a UK magazine, the best baits were rat carcasses and Nutella beats peanut butter for rat bait there. My experience with rats here, mostly trapping, is that peanuts with Nutella will lure them to a trap, but I also put out some formed baits I bought, green and yellow cubes, the yellow cubes were like rat sirens, they loved it. The yellow bait was gobbled up for two days and haven’t seen a rat for 2 months, I check baits and traps every day. I guess the upshot is to experiment with known good ones, use the one that works. I also got a harbor freight driveway annunciator and set it up on a bait station to tell me when they, or other varmints are there, an easy $14 varmint doorbell.

Chicken feed with corn has always worked for me. I've tried putting peanut butter and chicken feed next to each other and one of the rats I shot chose the chicken feed.

This is a mix of corn, wheat, maize bran and oat.

1587881939_17032485735ea527d387b6b5.46833570.jpg

There was once a Ratbuster's forum and it was agreed that peanut butter and bacon grease were excellent baits for rats. The main reason was that, if you smeared it on a floor or a wall or something else stationary, they couldn't run off with it. They had to stay there and lick it off. I had a buddy who used to do a lot of urban ratting. He said he'd throw left-over doughnut sections and they couldn't run off with those either.

Have fun! I am jealous. 

I use PB and Black oil sunflower seeds, it works well, I like the Pallet Idea, you always see rats under Pallets in the hunting videos, sounds like something I might try.

Yes the rats I shot came from under a brush pile in the yard. I could see a few more that were inside the brush as well. I would think setting up some type of cover with PB close by would make good shooting footage!