Best Quick Optics

Looking for some guidance on close range optics . Squirrels are the target 5 meters the distance 2 seconds max to acquire the target moderator a must. Is there an air gun out there with iron sights and moderator as that might be the other option . Suggestions,ideas and comment’s greatly appreciated

I have shot squirrel that close but had way more than two seconds. Red Squirrel out here will often stop & sit up & chatter at you, giving plenty of time to holdover & take the shot.

The Fox Squirrel that occasionally come in my backyard give me hardly anytime at all but are further than five meters.

With all that said, if I had your situation I think I'd want a reflex red dot as they seem to be the fastest to me, even with an astigmatism that causes the dot to blur.

I would also prefer a rifle that would allow an optic to be mounted close to the bore, if possible, given how close these shots need to be taken.

Reactions: Mike_OH
There are precious few quality PCP air rifles with iron sights. I ended up putting a Williams peep sight on my Marauder and I am really pleased with how comfortable it is without a scope on it. As a plus, my 3D printed front sight is attached using a DonnyFL Mrod adapter and secured by the thread protector or a DFL Tanto (my Tatsu is too fat and obscures the front sight). Super fun to shoot!
IMG_9292.jpg
IMG_9156.jpg

ive tried to come up with something at least equal to the prod with a 4X on it .. im convinced its the deadliest squirrel termination device on the planet lol ... i can hit them on a dead run across tree limbs etc .. its good for close or even a bit further, just the other day my rooster was going off and i had the prod in the garage i was after something else, but 'something' lit just for a second in the top of the oak about 30yds over and i poked around the door with the ole prod *thwap* ..it was doimg somersaults and hit the ground like a brick haha ...yeah ..its good .. real good heheh

Reactions: SHOMER
In my experience, on handgun use at least, the tube-style red dots seem to work better than the windowed ones. Most folks with the windows have to 'search' to find the dot, at least until they finally get used to using one, which for many takes time and repetition.
Using the tube-style seems to allow the eye to follow better and dot acquisition is easier.
This may be moot on a rifle due to the dot being closer and not at arms length?
My 2¢ anyway.

Mike

Looking for some guidance on close range optics . Squirrels are the target 5 meters the distance 2 seconds max to acquire the target moderator a must. Is there an air gun out there with iron sights and moderator as that might be the other option . Suggestions,ideas and comment’s greatly appreciated
Place some peanuts, sunflower seeds etc. when they start feeding on your bait, they will give you ample opportunities to shoot them.

Iron sights, Red Dots, and Prismatics.
I have recently fitted my 50 yard and below guns with Red Dots and Prismatics; quick acquisitions and confident shooting.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
I've got a couple of the original design of the Meprolight, M21 (a red dot type sight). I just received one of the new models, the M22, and put it on my Krait compact.

Great sights. No batteries, no on-off switch, will work in dim light, very tough as far as a dropped gun. A large enough window to see the target and surroundings clearly, and best of all...there's NO problem using this sight if you have an astigmatism (eye problems).

Mike

P.S. - I always get the "Delta" (solid triangle) reticle.

I finally got to shoot a squirrel with my gk1 with a red dot on it. It is perfect for 30 yards and less.
I decided I liked the dot more than open sights for the reason you can see all the way around the dot - with open sights you can only see above. So even with an astigmatism that causes a fairly significant smear to one side, the dot is better for me. I use a cheap uuq auto off dot. It works as well as the holosun and bushnell ones i tried.

Some of the best scopes for your requirements are going to be the prismatic design. If mounting position or traditional long eye relief is desired , go with the Immersive Optics 5-30 Pro, or the Element/Immersive equivalent with a scaled reticle.

https://immersive-scopes.co.uk/5h30-pro/