• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best portable compressor?

Reactions: rsfrid
I have filled 3 60 minute SCBA tanks from 0 to 4500 psi now with my GX CS4 and I wouldn't recommend it for that purpose. It can do it, but it takes about 5 hours to do so. For me it's basically an all day process filling a single tank as I periodically bleed the line and give the compressor 15-20 minutes to cool down.

For filling a rifle however it's pretty darn good. It can go all the way up to 6000 psi and it's very quiet. It's a little slow for a rifle with a big bottle though. So if you've got a 580 or 700cc bottle then it's best to charge from a tank. For my Huben K1 however it's ideal.

What I'm considering now is getting a Yong Heng compressor for filling bottles and using the CS4 for filling guns.

Reactions: Dog
How often does one fill a tank from empty, though? Depending on your shooting, once it's down 500-1500 psi, it gets topped off.

Though it will take awhile for the CS4 to get street time similar to where the others are now, initially it seems to be a runs slower/cooler/MUCH quieter trade-off to the YH & Tuxing pumps. I like it due to no external bucket & water pump, quiet enough to run in the house, and doesn't try to vibrate itself across the floor.

How often does one fill a tank from empty, though? Depending on your shooting, once it's down 500-1500 psi, it gets topped off.

Though it will take awhile for the CS4 to get street time similar to where the others are now, initially it seems to be a runs slower/cooler/MUCH quieter trade-off to the YH & Tuxing pumps. I like it due to no external bucket & water pump, quiet enough to run in the house, and doesn't try to vibrate itself across the floor.
Well, I recently bought four expired SCBA tanks in very good condition for $50 each, so I've been filling them up one at a time from empty. I imagine that after I get them all filled that filling them from empty will be a very rare occurrence. I'm thinking that once they hit 3000 I'll be topping them off again.

The GX compressor is portable and with some careful coaxing you can fill tanks **very slowly**.

You have to put a timer on the GX CS2 compressor so that the on-off cycles are roughly 1-5. Maybe in warmer climates you might need to put that up to 1-7. This keeps my compressor under 50c on the surface, and it's been filling SCBA tanks for roughly 3 years now, with no problems. That said, it stays on its on-off cycle sometimes for 2 hours, which is much slower than a serious (expensive) compressor.

Last edited:
The GX Pumps CS4 has a 5 hour run cycle and is rated to fill large tanks. The CS1 through CS3 are not and would require cycling the compressor on and off to allow it to cool between run cycles.

Here's a link tot he CS4 so you can read up on the specs:

Reactions: 1900colt
The GX line of compressors is definitely the way to go.. I've owned, and currently have every model they make.

I've also owned a lot of the other portable compressors, and none compare to the complete GX line.

If you want to fill LARGE bottles the GX-E5K2 is one sweet machine to look into. It's not portable, but is a very nice running machine with twin water cooled cylinders...perfect for home use.

Young Heng baby! Fills my SCUBA tanks to 3k in three 20 minute runs, for cooling breaks, on the hot days. The GX line looks nice for rifles tanks and is portable. Lol, my big tanks ride on the floor of my pick up..and can fill my 3k guns several times, quickly. My YH cost all of $230 at the door, but, added coalasing and media filter. Another $200 bucks for very dry air. I have the 2019 model. Pro and cons here and places like Amazon reviews. cheers!