Best plinker?

I vote for the Beemans
783DAD39-8F44-4075-B568-2A4B2B2086D6.jpeg
C983B6E4-EA40-49BC-8428-B4054B56638D.jpeg

The Beeman P17 misses on 2 fronts according to your criteria. It is not exactly quiet. It isn't quiet. And for some, it is not easy to pump. Even I have pinched my palm, my shirt, my pants, etc, etc while cocking it at least once. I got 24 of them at $7.50 each on Amazon a few years ago and I should have bought more! Gave most away as gifts and 6 to GTA (regret that...), but still own about 6... I think...? The ones I have, shoot .177 10.5 pellets at about 400fps give or take 10fps.

However, it IS pleasant to hold (for me) and very accurate according to me and just about everyone who owns one and is not pellet picky out to about 10 meters/11 yards/33 feet.

It might even be capable of accuracy farther than that with some type of optics.

Anyway, it really doesn't fit your criteria, so I will stop now. (smile)

p.s.

I wouldn't even own ONE of them except for that great deal Amazon had for $7.50 each a few years ago. No regrets at all! (smile)

Last edited:
i may have missed it.... what target at what distance?

about any airgun does ~MOA at 25Y, but if we're talking 100Y, that's a different story.

me, anything under about 50Y, i wouldn't rely on a PCP. too many things change in such a short time with those. ya have to break out a calculator just to determine how many good shots ya have in a fill. VS a break-barrel that pretty much shoots the same 1st to last.

in my limited experience, rarely there's a springer than can't do sub-dime 10x groups at 75'.
View attachment 297448

and i'm hardly a great shooter. don't over-think it.
Purely a plinker. Something to toss in the travel trailer that doesn't neccistate bringing a pump or compressor. Utt
If you fancy a nice pistol, the Weihrauch HW75 has a superb 2 stage trigger with a short and light 1st stage takeup, followed by a crisp 2nd stage with no detectable creep. The trigger blade itself is nice and wide and grooved, feels like it has a shoe on it. The muzzle is recessed in the top strap frame and has a relatively low muzzle report. It is a single stroke pneumatic. After charging and closing the top, you cock the hammer manually. The stippled grip is very comfortable for ambidextrous shooting. You can cock the hammer and dry fire it without opening the top strap and pumping it. This feature makes it ideal for dry fire practice.

The breech area is roomy for loading and notice that the rear of the top strap has a generous notch, allowing you to easily inspect or clean the bore when opened. If you look closely, you can see where I chamfered the breech lead in slightly to ease loading.

It makes a little over 400 fps with JSB 7.33 gr pellets. I zeroed mine at 15 yards. You can use it for practice with the iron sights but for more precision, I like a dot sight. I used the UTG dovetail-to-picatinny adapter inserts for this dual color red / green dot sight. A newer type , lighter reflex sight might be more appropriate.

You can punch paper or cans at 15yd with it, or take down english sparrows from your bird feeder but there's not enough power for much else. I liked it so much I gave away my p17s to my nephew and his two boys.

I have a Zoraki 177 ultra with the extended barrel. It has a sharper muzzle report but is a good plinker on low power (one pump). Its plastic frame doesn't feel as sturdy as the HW75 and its rear sight screw frequently tries to back out when you push down in that area while closing the top strap. You can pump It three or four times to generate some good hunting power but then it gets *very* loud. The trigger pull is long and is nowhere near that of the refined unit on the hw75! On the plus side, you can order a shoulder stock for it from the importer. Donny FL used to sell a slip-on adapter for the barrel. You remove the plastic cover that has the grooves on it in the picture that someone else posted above, and you can slide on a threaded adapter, secured with a set screw. My adapter was just a few thousands too small and I had to do some light machining to get it to fit though.

Pics below.

Feinwerk

View attachment 297519

View attachment 297520

View attachment 297521

View attachment 297522

View attachment 297523

View attachment 297524

View attachment 297525

My Zoraki 177 (originally sold as a Webley Alecto Ultra) with homemade wire stock (not that great) and Donny FL Tanto:

View attachment 297528

View attachment 297530
@Feinwerk thank you for the detailed post and all the pictures! Really like the look of the 75 there. Torn between that and the fas/sig still...

Reactions: Feinwerk
I’ll put in another word for the Crosman CO2 pistols. I have a 2300S .177 and a Custom Shop 2300 .22 and both shoot beautifully. 2300S comes with a nice Williams FP-TK notch rear sight and single-stage trigger with adjustable pull weight and over travel. I like the trigger, have it on both guns. Adjustable power level for the gun. Lothar Walther barrel. Shoots great out of the box. I’m getting 60 shots at full power.

Custom Shop is closed unfortunately if you want .22 but you can build your own up. Depending on the barrel length you want you can start with a 2240 and add breech and barrel you want (including Lothar Walther). If you like the standard barrel you can buy a 2240XL which already has the steel breech and is threaded for 1/2 x 20 moderator. Which you’ll probably want, these guns aren’t overly quiet. Trigger is the weak link, non adjustable and too much pull weight. Can be tuned or after market trigger added. There are a lot of mods and after market parts available for these guns if you want to tweak them. Takes about 3 minutes to put the carbine stock on. I have big hands and the grips were small for me on both pistols. Couple pair of Steve Corcoran grips fixed that up. I’ve been very impressed with both pistols, couldn’t be happier.
I've a 1720t and love it -- really want self contained power for the porch plinker :)

I wish the custom shop would reopen :(

@Larcat , and if your interested in a carbine, many people like the little Weihrauch HW30. All you need is a tin of pellets.
And it’s so small and light you could probably shoot it like a pistol ha ha ha. Seriously. Kim’s fits in a 41” Boyt case. It’s a great gun. Quite and accurate. She shoots hers with the stock sights, just a change to the front insert.

Ha, I forgot, I have a Sig ASP also -
I did mention that it had been a while since I shot these guns ! Don't even remember what all I have !

1665931265350.jpeg

Along with my 6004 FAS -

1665931331737.jpeg

My P1 -

1665931508015.jpeg

My HW 45 -
Very much the same as the Beeman P1. The grip on the HW 45 will only work on this gun, and the Beeman grip panels will not work on the HW 45.

1665989753538.jpeg

Mike

Last edited:
@Larcat , and if your interested in a carbine, many people like the little Weihrauch HW30. All you need is a tin of pellets.
And it’s so small and light you could probably shoot it like a pistol ha ha ha. Seriously. Kim’s fits in a 41” Boyt case. It’s a great gun. Quite and accurate. She shoots hers with the stock sights, just a change to the front insert.
This seems like a really lovelyn rifle -- almost like a CZ Scout airrifle. Higher power than I'm looking for though to be honest. If I had more land I think I'd grab one in a heartbeat for the same purpose at longer ranges. Looks like a heckuva lot of airifle for the $ and nice sights to boot.

Want to say thanks to everyone who participated in this thread. I ended up getting a 22 cal P1 on a bit of a whim because it came up in the classifieds. I'll get an SSP as well, but this is fun. First springer I've owned. Not easy to shoot well, but slowly getting the hang of it. This is the first session I didn't really blow with bad fliers.

15 shots of RWS hobby at 12 yards. Stock iron sites standing offhand.

Edit: I'm aware this isn't great shooting, just better than I normally do with this gun :)

20230128_160018.jpg

Last edited:
Lar -

Well...I give up...for now. I have no idea where I put those damned o-rings.

In any case, if you have a dial caliper (you should !), just measure the ID and the OD of the groove in the barrel. Then measure the thickness of the o-ring.

I bought mine at McMaster Carr. I'd assume that Grainger and other locations that sell o-rings will have their sizes posted. As I did, you'll probably have to buy a minimum of 10 each.

I'll let you know if I find them.

Here is the trigger adjustment videos. 1 through 6.
As I recall, the HW 45 is much the same as the P1.

Mike