• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best pellets in the market??

The best pellets are whatever your gun shoots best. Some of mine like H&N, some like JSB, some like Norma, and others seem to prefer RWS. If I had to pick one to call it "best" I'd probably say the JSBs are more universally decent across the board in my .177s while the H&Ns and Normas seem to kick butt it .22

Amo,
JSB makes FX pellets, but uses a different process, compared to regular JSB brand, which provides FX pellets more uniformity. Steve, at AEAC, did a JSB factory tour video in 2019 during which a JSB Manager, in a "Mythbusters" segment, explained the process. Check video out on YouTube, "Mythbusters" is near the end. WM

I should probably retry my testing to figure out what my Avenger likes best but in my original tests I thought there was a clear difference between JSB 25.39s and FX 25.4s. FX shot better. But I don't think it's huge and JSB clearly makes both. I often see FX for a little lower price. Not sure what is up with that, they certainly do not seem to be worse.

I am still trying to figure out what to shoot in my re-tuned P35-25 but it's looking like JSB 33.95 grain are shooting better than H&N Baracudas in that gun. In my other two P35s, I shoot H&N Baracuda Match. They don't make a Match pellet in 25, however. I checked head size consistency in 177 and found the H&N Match were clearly more consistent than regular Baracudas and also more consistent than JSB 10.3s. If I end up deciding the JSBs are best in my P35-25 I will probably buy a tin of the FX to try too. I would not expect to see a large difference but I wouldn't be surprised if it likes them a little better. Some people love AA pellets which are also made by JSB. Could there be a conspiracy to get us to buy more pellets by rebranding them? (kidding)

Reactions: Sqwirl57
One thing I've noticed with .177 H&Ns lately are large percentages with damaged skirts. Ive found this in two tins recently. That quite possibly was shipping related though. Even though Pyramyd does an exemplary job of packaging their pellets, there's nothing that's going to protect them 100%.

I also ended up throwing away a couple tins of .177 Crosman Pointeds earlier this year after discovering that the head sizes were very irregular. Some needed to be forced into the bore and some were loose.

Amo,
JSB makes FX pellets, but uses a different process, compared to regular JSB brand, which provides FX pellets more uniformity. Steve, at AEAC, did a JSB factory tour video in 2019 during which a JSB Manager, in a "Mythbusters" segment, explained the process. Check video out on YouTube, "Mythbusters" is near the end. WM
from what i recall, jsb has several machines/molds making a certain pellet, with tiny variances between them as you might expect.
fx pellets are the same pellet, but they may be from only one of those machines/molds. i could be mistaken.

from what i recall, jsb has several machines/molds making a certain pellet, with tiny variances between them as you might expect.
fx pellets are the same pellet, but they may be from only one of those machines/molds. i could be mistaken.
For example, JSB decides on a run of 33.95s, setting up 8 machines with eight dies, knowing minor variations in pellets will occur, based on different ages of dies and machines. One machine's output, doesn't matter which, is chosen for FX pellets, thus avoiding large swings in pellet sizes/weights. JSB blends all other pellets together, for their product, thus explaining variations found in tins. FX pellets will still vary in sizes/weights, but not to the extent of the JSB brand. WM