best pcp under $1500 for hunting?

I'm looking for a great quality PCP that will help with pesting and hunting for farmers. something in the sub $1500 range. currently i have my eyes on the fx dreamline series and the wildcat mk3. i hear fx sometimes have some leakage issues and other problems but i love how versatile and modular they are. does any one else have any recommendations or guns that they love and think i should look more into? right now i have a some basic PCPs; the air venturi avenger and gen 1 marauder and need an upgrade. thanks for all yalls input and have a great day!

-Evan from upstate New York

Aloha,

your price range is really a good in having a lot of options. FX does make fine airguns but like all airguns they will leak sooner or later. What caliber are you looking at for your pesting and hunting. If your open to other gun manufactures, I would look at the Taipan veteran, Kalibrgun cricket, Airgun Technology Uragan, Edgun Lelya 2.0 these are guns I have and know they can perform me my pesting and hunting needs. 

Aloha, Keone

i have .. right now but would maybe like to explore with .25 as well... im maily taking pidgins and pest birds as well as wood chucks and my avenger does very well but its a very cheaply made gun that i know isnt going to last forever... i really dont care about hoe the stock is ( bulpup, normal, etc). i will have to look more into these though as well. i know fx does make some nice guns and there are tons of videos out there helping with fixing and trouble shooting. thanks!

i also hear these guns have had regulator problems as of recently. but hey maybe it was some idiot who didnt know how to use their gun. as with any air gun these things cant be perfect as there are a lot of moving parts! i will look more into it though! thanks

Not sure if it's the Veteran you're referring to here, but on Saturday I put 124 shots over the chrono with an extreme spread of 8.8fps from my Veteran Long. It has the OEM regulator in it. I have zero intentions of replacing the regulator. Same story with my other Veteran, VERY consistent with OEM regs. 

Aloha,

your price range is really a good in having a lot of options. FX does make fine airguns but like all airguns they will leak sooner or later. What caliber are you looking at for your pesting and hunting. If your open to other gun manufactures, I would look at the Taipan veteran, Kalibrgun cricket, Airgun Technology Uragan, Edgun Lelya 2.0 these are guns I have and know they can perform me my pesting and hunting needs. 

Aloha, Keone

i looked through all that you recommended and the uragan really stick out! i think for hunting and pest control. .22-.25 is fine for me... however i couldnt fond the power level and or shot count for the urugan... its got a huge bottle so id imagine it would be high. can i shoot slugs out of the uragan? thats something i like about the wildcat mk3 is that its a very modular gun that i can 1) change calibers. 2) change how and what i shoot and 3) is the ability to add power plenums and whatever i may need to fo this to be a great gun. how quiet is the uragan? sorry for all the questions! 

-Evan

i also hear these guns have had regulator problems as of recently. but hey maybe it was some idiot who didnt know how to use their gun. as with any air gun these things cant be perfect as there are a lot of moving parts! i will look more into it though! thanks

Not sure if it's the Veteran you're referring to here, but on Saturday I put 124 shots over the chrono with an extreme spread of 8.8fps from my Veteran Long. It has the OEM regulator in it. I have zero intentions of replacing the regulator. Same story with my other Veteran, VERY consistent with OEM regs.

wow that sounds incredible! i will look more into it. what caliber do you have? do you find the rear cocking annoying i have quite long arms and it seems like it would be annoying but yet again i havent had one in my hands to know for sure. thanks

-Evan 

wow that sounds incredible! i will look more into it. what caliber do you have?

It is a .22, mostly stock. It has a plenum addition, which is supposed to (and seems to be) really helping with consistency. Also has a different than OEM barrel on it but that shouldnt do anything for the consistency. It has the OEM hammer spring, regulator, etc. The regulator is set the way it came from the factory too, no tweaking there. This was with JSB 25.4gr Monster Redesigns doing 853.1 to 861.9fps for about 41fpe. Getting about 45 shots/fill (250-140bar) so those chrono readings were over a couple fills. I couldn't believe it at first and did a double and triple take on the chrono screen to verify.

I really think some of the regulator troubles that were sporadically reported have to do with guys really romping on the hammer with a beafy hammer spring, in conjunction with messing with the regulator, trying to get that optimal setting, and perhaps causing trouble for themselves in the process.

I have no personal experience with the Fx rifles, however I have been very tempted with the Fx wildcat mk3 and it may yet find its way to me. However I can recommend the Taipan Veteran/Mutant and the Kalibrgun Cricket. I have the veteran and cricket in .25 as well as the mutant in .22. I would definitely go with the .25 for the woodchucks. If you don't mind the rear cocking, which I personally don't, either one is great. The veteran is still relatively new to me and the accuracy is about the same as my cricket. The cricket I have personally taken half a dozen woodchucks out to 85 yards and one unlucky guy at ~150 yards. Starlings and pigeons are easy kills out to 70 yards or so with my longest kill on a starling sitting at 97 yards. I bought the cricket used here on the classifieds over two years ago and it was four years old then. To my knowledge it has never had a thing done to it, never been apart never needed a reseal...nada, zip, zero. That's reliability.... just my two cents.

Alex

I have no personal experience with the Fx rifles, however I have been very tempted with the Fx wildcat mk3 and it may yet find its way to me. However I can recommend the Taipan Veteran/Mutant and the Kalibrgun Cricket. I have the veteran and cricket in .25 as well as the mutant in .22. I would definitely go with the .25 for the woodchucks. If you don't mind the rear cocking, which I personally don't, either one is great. The veteran is still relatively new to me and the accuracy is about the same as my cricket. The cricket I have personally taken half a dozen woodchucks out to 85 yards and one unlucky guy at ~150 yards. Starlings and pigeons are easy kills out to 70 yards or so with my longest kill on a starling sitting at 97 yards. I bought the cricket used here on the classifieds over two years ago and it was four years old then. To my knowledge it has never had a thing done to it, never been apart never needed a reseal...nada, zip, zero. That's reliability.... just my two cents.

Alex

thanks for your input, i really appreciate it! i have a lot of research yet to do and some saving up but ive heard a lot of good things about the veteran and cricket. what scopes do you have paired with these guns?

thanks for all the input guys! im still new to PCPs and especially the adjustability part is new territory! i think almost every option given is something to really dive into and get a good research done behind each. ive still got my mind on the wildacat mk3 but the uragan, veteran, and kalibrgun cricket all seem to be incredible also the bantam sniper seems really nice.

Aloha,

Aloha, Keone

i looked through all that you recommended and the uragan really stick out! i think for hunting and pest control. .22-.25 is fine for me... however i couldnt fond the power level and or shot count for the urugan... its got a huge bottle so id imagine it would be high. can i shoot slugs out of the uragan? thats something i like about the wildcat mk3 is that its a very modular gun that i can 1) change calibers. 2) change how and what i shoot and 3) is the ability to add power plenums and whatever i may need to fo this to be a great gun. how quiet is the uragan? sorry for all the questions! 

-Evan

Aloha Evan,

On the Uragan, I have the standard model in a .25 I highly recommend calling Charlie Frear @ Georgia Airguns that's where I got my Uragan from, I had him tune is to shoot hot (960 fps) for the type of hunting I do, I have a donnyfl sumo on it and it does a really great job in quieting down the bark. I get 60 plus shots on a full fill. I also picked up my cricket from Charlie also, which that gun is one of my go to guns, I have taken a lot of boars with the cricket, he tuned it to shoot (980 fps) but the shot count suffers being that it shoot this hot, but I don't mind because I only take (shoot) what I need when hunting. As far as my veteran, you can't beat the trigger, the anti-double feed, I have my son or daughter use that gun being the size and easy to shoot when hunting with me, my veteran is tuned to shoot (940 fps) 

All of the guns can shoot slugs, you will just have to find which slugs works best with what gun. The uragan & cricket shoot nsa & vk slugs really well, the veteran shoot fx hybrids slugs the best for me. 

As far as the weight both uragan and cricket don't bother me because most of my hunts are done from the blind, if I do a hunt by stocking the boars the weight does come into play but that's after couple of hours with no rest. 

Aloha,

Keone

thanks for all the input guys! im still new to PCPs and especially the adjustability part is new territory! i think almost every option given is something to really dive into and get a good research done behind each. ive still got my mind on the wildacat mk3 but the uragan, veteran, and kalibrgun cricket all seem to be incredible also the bantam sniper seems really nice.

Forget about research, buy a Veteran and be happy! 

$1500,,,, hmm. I'd add a little to that budget and opt for a Red Wolf...

Or get a .25Kratos and save some cash, great farmer tool, made right up the road from you.

Daystate-RedW-Main2.1605659410.jpg

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the wildcat, there's really no adjustments needed to be made IMO. But then again, I also don't think you'd be disappointed with the other guns mentioned either. 1500 gets you into very good territory. You could also think of something like a daystate regal or fx dreamline for 1k, and then save that 500 for a decent scope. just food for thought.