"Best?" PCP for offhand shooting...

Apparently the best off hand gun is the new Cattleman rifle. Just watched a YouTube video where shooting offhand at 100 yrds, he put 4 pellets in the same hole. Oh yeah Cattleman gave him a free gun with his initials engraved in the stock to do a review for them. The problem is 2 different camera shots. One focused on him shooting, the other camera on the target. Never believe a review from a guy with a gun given to him for free to review.

Apparently the best off hand gun is the new Cattleman rifle. Just watched a YouTube video where shooting offhand at 100 yrds, he put 4 pellets in the same hole. Oh yeah Cattleman gave him a free gun with his initials engraved in the stock to do a review for them. The problem is 2 different camera shots. One focused on him shooting, the other camera on the target. Never believe a review from a guy with a gun given to him for free to review.

😂 thats rich

fx wildcat

I have a few friends that say the same about Wildcats. What is the weight of the gun? If I was to buy an FX it would probably be a Wildcat. Seems to be reliable.

Mine was a turd 💩. Tried finding a nicer thing to say, but that was it. It’s indeed very ergonomic, but Extremely Unreliable! Perhaps an MK1, and definitely stay away from MK2 & .177 Cal. It was so bad, I will probably never own another FX gun. 

fx wildcat

I have a few friends that say the same about Wildcats. What is the weight of the gun? If I was to buy an FX it would probably be a Wildcat. Seems to be reliable.

Mine was a turd
1f4a9.svg
. Tried finding a nicer thing to say, but that was it. It’s indeed very ergonomic, but Extremely Unreliable! Perhaps an MK1, and definitely stay away from MK2 & .177 Cal. It was so bad, I will probably never own another FX gun.

Yeah from handling and shooting FX from an initial standpoint not impressed. Then most of my friends have them broken all the time. It seems the earlier iterations of their rifles were more reliable. I won't be getting any FX. Ditto with Hatsan

This 👆 +1

Reactions: guod123
I have a huntsman and it is very good for off hand shooting, however strangely I get my best results from a Wolverine R as it just seems to fit me perfectly. It is a much heavier rifle than the huntsman but when paired with a 3x15 PST gen ii I rarely miss my off hand hunting shots, albeit I keep the range I shoot at sensible and the magnification low. So weight aside, I think the "fit" of a rifle is also very important and will be individual to each shooter, at 6ft 4 with gorilla arms my preference isn't going to work for all...... 

I guess the “best” is subjective. I have the Huntsman and the Wolverine R. The Huntsman is a classic sporter type stock. Light and nimble and it shoots great. The Wolverine is heavier but the thickness of the palm area of the fore end will be better for most for offhand shooting it puts your hand lower and your elbow can be supported by your torso. If you're built right elbow on hip bone. Nothing is as steady as bone on bone… Im in the category of elbow on ribs and gut. I shoot 90 percent offhand, that doesn't mean I’m good but its the most fun to me. I shot metallic silhouettes for years and being able to step outside and shoot is about as good as it get in my opinion. Thats why I own air guns. Oh back to guns for my preference if the Wolverine was five inches shorter it would be perfect. I have a Hugget on the front and it approaches the length limit for me. However I want the quiet shot. Its cool to hear no gun noise and the ring of steel. My favorite target and I have a bunch is a 1/5 scale pig hanging from a tree by a string, I have a 1/8” plate behind for strays. Strays go thud and hits are a resilient ring.. Most days I shoot the Wolverine but the shorter lighter Huntsman feels great and some days I shoot it better because of getting fatigued AKA wimp

Sparky

It's really all about matching the rifle's dimensions and balance to your natural shooting position, which is why position rifles are fully adjustable. It's an individual thing, so it you are trying to find a general sporting rifle that fits, you just have to experiment, and you probably will not find it, but maybe something close. Unless you are very lucky, an adjustable comb and butt plate are, as a minimum, probably a necessity. That's not to say that you can't adapt to something less than optimum, but you pay the price in earlier fatigue. 

Some guys like the "weight" out front, some to the rear, some balanced in the hand, I like a hair of rear bias myself. I did some experimenting recently and I found that if I turned my butt hook the opposite way so it rested on top of my shoulder that it worked fantastic with a slight rear biased weight.

The other two things were that a lightweight rifle moved around more than I like, and that a heavy rifle causes fatigue too quickly.

I haven't weighed it but my AGT Vulcan 2 sits real well with a medium weight scope and a slight rear bias weight. I don't have a butt hook on it but if I pull it in to the shoulder it's a great offhand rifle. A couple weeks ago I got 9/9 on a 2" diamond at 35Y which is about as good I can do considering I don't practice much.

My 10.lb FWB 601 was annoyingly front heavy so when I took that weight off the front it became a whole different and superior rifle in offhand for me??!!

I have a lightweight Steyr LGB1 that is too light for me at 7.9 lbs for offhand, I never have been able to shoot it as well as I had originally thought I'd be able to.

I'm 5'7"/ 165lb/ 60 years old, and so far a 9.5-10lb rifle including scope, etc, reasonably centered weight, or biased to the rear, is the best for my offhand. 

Interesting topic. I think it has more to do with your intended use.

I started out with an FWB 124 and shot almost exclusively offhand for several years. I would shoot for hours at tiny little things in my yard and could motly hit about anything I could see... peanuts, flies, wasps, marbles.... It was mostly below 25 yards, but I never missed on a bunny or quail or squirrel when hunting and did almost exclusively head shots. That was with peeps. Enter the FT game. Putting a scope on and using an FT based rifle suddenly made it difficult to hit a 1" kz at 20 yards. I think it's pretty much about balance. At the Nationals one year, a fellow showed up with a custom rifle that weighed about 25 lb, It had a huge steel weight on the front and a butt hook. He said the stock was 16 lb alone. A small contest ensued shooting at a 1/2" spinner at 52 yds offhand. I ended up going 5 for 5 with his rifle and I thought it was EASY. Compared to mine where I felt lucky to hit any. The weight seemed not to be a problem for extended holding. 

Compare 10 M rifles, as well. They typically are 11 lb and probably would be more if the rules allowed.

I guess what I'm trying to relate is the difference in field shooting and target shooting and that equipment is specifically designed to be best for the use.

My current best is my Evol std with the Delta Wolf close behind and Career 707 right there, too. The C707 is front heavy, where the other 2 are more central balance. This is shooting 10M rifle targets in my shop at 10M for comparison. 

Bob

i havent actually held a ton of different pcp's but one i HAVE held that made me think 'what a great feeling and shouldering gun' is the benji cayden ... its balanced feels thin and light and fits the hand good and points effing awesome ..perfect for slinging and going on an adventure with a compact scope .. to me bottle guns are for the bench, bullpups are for close in stalking of furry victims, and yeah that cayden has to be close to perfect for a field gun ...

Or save a lot of money and get a Gamo Urban,feels good, has BSA barrel ,is accurate and holds study....can Not beat it for the price!

Can not go wrong,that said it does not shoot more than 26 or so shoots before needing more air.Also hand pump friendly.

Also light weight and bolt can be switch to either side...I just sold myself,LOL.

Thanks for all the replies! 👍

My offhand standing shooting is not done "olympic" style with the elbow on the hip. It's more like how you would point the rifle up in a tree to shoot a squirrel. I usually shoot around a 100 shots at a time, 4 or 5 times a week. The heavier guns (scoped Beeman R1 and the F&T Marauder) are doable, but after a while a bit harder to keep on point compared to a lighter R7. As I mentioned the Impact X in .22, while good for offhand shooting just does not seem like the perfect fit.

I think I may look further into the Daystate Huntsman Revere in .177. With scope it should be under 8 pounds. The Sporter look should shoulder and point well. I just looked at the price of some Daystate mags, they're $99 apiece, if you can find them. Looks like I'll be reloading often.