"Best?" PCP for offhand shooting...

I've been wanting to ask this question for a while. Almost all my shooting is offhand (standing) target shooting. Anywhere from 15 to 80 yards. I have 2 PCP's, an Impact X in .22 and a Marauder F&T in .177, and with them, I can hit 80 yard tin cans with both "most of the time" (> +/- 50%), not that that is a big deal. For some reason my HW springers, although not up to consistent 80 or even 70 yard shots, just seem to be more, well ... shootable in terms of how they feel. The Impact X is OK, but between holding onto the bottle and then looking through a scope which is mounted a fair bit above the left hand hold (I'm a right handed shooter) is not ideal. The Marauder just feels a little awkward / heavy, although it can certainly do the job. 

I want accuracy, and hunters can appreciate that too. So what PCP is best for an offhand shot?

Honestly, my Crown has been really top notch. I actually shoot off-hand a good bit while hunting, and the gun does lend a ton of confidence. I think it really boils down to the excellent balance of the gun, but more importantly, the soft/mild hammer cycle. Having a semi-balanced valve, it does not require much hammer strike to operate. I can honestly throw the gun on a sandbag loosely. Without me holding it, and pull the trigger, still not holding the gun, and it will hit it's target ( 12oz can at 100 yards), same as if I were holding it firmly. Though maybe shooting 2 or 2.5 moa instead of under 1. But that does say a lot.... for a gun to be THAT stable through the shot cycle....

72890297_10157508254884034_1760517058954526720_o.1613862546.jpg

70511851_10157410550019034_4503216829820305408_o.1613862557.jpg

Honestly, my Crown has been really top notch. I actually shoot off-hand a good bit while hunting, and the gun does lend a ton of confidence. I think it really boils down to the excellent balance of the gun, but more importantly, the soft/mild hammer cycle. Having a semi-balanced valve, it does not require much hammer strike to operate. I can honestly throw the gun on a sandbag loosely. Without me holding it, and pull the trigger, still not holding the gun, and it will hit it's target ( 12oz can at 100 yards), same as if I were holding it firmly. Though maybe shooting 2 or 2.5 moa instead of under 1. But that does say a lot.... for a gun to be THAT stable through the shot cycle....

72890297_10157508254884034_1760517058954526720_o.1613862546.jpg

70511851_10157410550019034_4503216829820305408_o.1613862557.jpg

Dang that can got its butt kicked

Now, that topic got my interest! Thanks for asking the question! 👍🏼

Beyond the brand and model recommendations —

❓ Are there any general principles that are either favoring or hindering offhand shooting?

One of the simplest would be:

▪a very heavy gun is hard to hold for a longer time

But what about other, more subtle principles, like stock, scope mounting, LOP, bullpup or full rifle or carbine, and the other things I don't even know exist?

Thanks! 😊

Matthias

The rifles odoyle mentions are light weights which make it easier to hold and try to sight in then pull the trigger. .. My technique is different than most but some may agree with my style ..it works for me ..I lift aim and soon as I see the target off goes the trigger. .its a awkward all in one motion type of thing..I find it better than bobbing around trying to hold aim ..so for sure their are so many variables ..but for many lighter is easier.more natural than holding a heavy stock HYNZIE 4S

36gr .218 boat tail @ around 800fps at point of impact. I was pretty tickled I was able to hit the shotgun primer, though 

Now, that topic got my interest! Thanks for asking the question! 👍🏼

Beyond the brand and model recommendations —

❓ Are there any general principles that are either favoring or hindering offhand shooting?

One of the simplest would be:

▪a very heavy gun is hard to hold for a longer time

But what about other, more subtle principles, like stock, scope mounting, LOP, bullpup or full rifle or carbine, and the other things I don't even know exist?

Thanks! 😊

Matthias

Adding a walnut stock to my Crown pulled the balance rearward, and also added some weight for stability. (synthetic crown is 6.5lbs un-scoped) Scope mount position, as well as weight will play a huge role in balance, and overall heft. The Crown with the superlight barrel and wood stock PLUS 50mm scope comes in around 9.5lbs, but feels nothing like it due to so much weight being absent from the nose of the gun. I actually don't use my 50mm scope for hunting anymore, though at the 9.5lbs, I could still do off-hand without losing any confidence. 

Moderator weight comes into play as a huge factor due to having so much leverage at the nose of the gun.

Here is how my gun is currently, so you get an idea of how it has been structured for off-hand shooting. The entire barrel weighs just over 8 ounces (cant recall the exact #) And the moderator weighs just under 3oz.

Sling for added stability.

8lb 13oz as pictured with loaded 12 shot magazine
DSCF5471_edited_edited.1613865091.jpg

36gr .218 boat tail @ around 800fps at point of impact. I was pretty tickled I was able to hit the shotgun primer, though

I would not want to be the squirrel you come across. What pellet/slug brand?

Griffin slugs. I've had some really top notch results. Have been currently shooting low density core 21gr griffins from a 500mm barrel with stunning results (especially on game, the slugs pretty much explode)

Controversial. Once you have an accurate rifle it is a matter of finding a stable position. You are essentially talking about rifle silhouette. The position most often used is some variation of elbow on hip and head erect. Plenty of illustrations on the net. It involves either elevating the rifle by shooting off your fingertips, and/or using high rings to bring the scope to your eye. The airguns with FT style stocks generally have a higher comb for use with high rings. The British guns like Daystate and AA tend in that direction. Then there is the matter of balance. The more weight forward, the more back lean required. I like a gun of around 8 pounds, maybe a little more. For scopes I do best with around 6 power. More than that and wobble is magnified more than I like. Other people can manage a higher power scope.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what I see as current practice in silhouette. Several of my buddies are in that game, and I shoot offhand a fair amount as well.

Daystate Regal XL OR Benjamin Maximus .OR Fortitude OR BSA Ultra SE.

fortitude/discovery are great but BSA ultra SE is superb offhand, simply sublime with the synthetic/tactical stock. I’m sure many will disagree with me but I found my impact with a heavy scope really quite good shooting offhand. 

for some reason I dont care for shooting the challenger offhand and it’s made for it.