Best PCP for long range accuracy.

...this is the best long range accuracy thead...!!!... 

...as to ethics I have to agree with the above...

...unless hungry or at war I would not try to take a squirrel @ 100 yards with a well sorted .22 LR...

...I have lost squirrels shot @ 20 yards with a .25 Escape shooting Polymags... 

...a well sorted Texan is a aboot the only "pellet gun" I would consider for such a stunt... 

...around here it is most unlikely one would see a squirrel @ 100 yards anyway...

...I almost bought a Texan recently to try with long range shooting, but it was a .45, not a .22...

...in the black powered era a lot of good shooting was done with "small bores" like the .45 at ELR shooting heavy for caliber bullets...

...thing is, the terminal ballistics were still effective at ELR, if the range and windage were doped...

I figured my comments about required power being much less than most think would elicit some ethical comments. 

These prairie dogs are the vilest of pests. I'm not hunting. I am removing.

The damage these critters do to irrigated fields (and even barren lands) is unbelievable. They cause leaks in the berms around flood irrigated field that causes the water to be lost, and in Arizona, them's fightin words. They also are smart enough engineers that, if allowed time, will increase the elevation of large areas of irrigated fields (through moving vast amounts of dirt). The water can no then longer reach those ares of fields so farmers can't get anything to grow there. Their active holes and feces attract more flies than cow dung. They also have lice that carry Yersinia pestis (a triflingly annoying bacterium).

About five years ago we were gathering cattle for branding when a couple head tried to make a run for it. My cousin-in-law? (married to a cousin) darted away to put them back in the moving herd. He made it about 40 yards (enough to be at near full gallop) before the horse stuck its front hoof in a pdog hole. Him and the horse rolled over the top of each other a couple times. Somehow the horse didn't break a leg, but the cousin-in-law didn't fare so well. He was unconscious and needed an er visit. Damage report included broken orbital bone, mild concussion and pretty seriously bruised kidneys (peed blood for a bit), as well as general soreness. He was quite beat up. His face looked worse than most losers in street fights, one whole side of his face was a giant bruise, blood clots in the whites of that eye. 

Back to the point of this discussion though: choice of gun for long range. I have a few places where unlimited power is okay, but most of my pdog pesting areas are either near homes or have cattle and horses standing nearby. Even with 35fpe at the muzzle, I have to be very careful about which shots I can take and where that pellet is going after doing its job. This is definitely one of those "the right tool for the job" areas. I wouldn't even use a slug at this power level for most of the areas that I shoot pdogs in.

So, long range removal of squirrels and rabbit sized-animals, don't look past lower powered options, ESPECIALLY if concerns of collateral damage are possible. 

(The test-fueled ugh ugh ugh power level of airguns is fun, but not always necessary or appropriate-even for long range uses). 

35fpe at the muzzle still has a little over 10fpe at 200 yards. Plenty of juice for this size of critter. Check out some of the UK hunting vids on Youtube. 

Its not about power so much as it is about ballistics. Subsonic speeds with poop BC equals long flight times, massive wind drifts etc and that equals too many factors that are not in hands of a shooter and equal **** ton of wounded animals. I was told since I was a kid that if you cant make 100% sure killshot you dont take it. Ofc bad things can happen no matter how ethical you try to be but trying to shoot animals pests or not ,out to ranges that are far off from distances you have full control of is just wrong and in many countrys including the one I live in you can actually even get jail time and lose ur guns by causing unnecessary suffering to any animal.

I dont think it serves anyone that we encourage ppl to buy tools for a job that they really are not fit for. 

I figured my comments about required power being much less than most think would elicit some ethical comments. 

These prairie dogs are the vilest of pests. I'm not hunting. I am removing.

The damage these critters do to irrigated fields (and even barren lands) is unbelievable. They cause leaks in the berms around flood irrigated field that causes the water to be lost, and in Arizona, them's fightin words. They also are smart enough engineers that, if allowed time, will increase the elevation of large areas of irrigated fields (through moving vast amounts of dirt). The water can no then longer reach those ares of fields so farmers can't get anything to grow there. Their active holes and feces attract more flies than cow dung. They also have lice that carry Yersinia pestis (a triflingly annoying bacterium).

Agree, no ethical concerns when it comes to prairie dogs.

The majority of what you find are "pellet" guns and those that are pellet guns trying to be slug guns. Plenty of shooters doing long range but the consistency of those shots are questionable. Going long with consistent results requires more than most platforms can provide without being totally maxed out and inefficient with air. Doug Noble, Tofazfou Carl Matt's and a few others have achieved true long range consistent results using custom Airforce brands. Tom over at American Air Arms produces out of the box long range guns that actually make enough power to get out. Beyond that it's important to have enough moa to get out past 2/300 yards... without it we simply run out of scope. When I see extreme long range claims I always tend to look at scope and mounting systems to weed out the pinocchio's. 

Its not about power so much as it is about ballistics. Subsonic speeds with poop BC equals long flight times, massive wind drifts etc and that equals too many factors that are not in hands of a shooter and equal **** ton of wounded animals. I was told since I was a kid that if you cant make 100% sure killshot you dont take it. Ofc bad things can happen no matter how ethical you try to be but trying to shoot animals pests or not ,out to ranges that are far off from distances you have full control of is just wrong and in many countrys including the one I live in you can actually even get jail time and lose ur guns by causing unnecessary suffering to any animal.

I dont think it serves anyone that we encourage ppl to buy tools for a job that they really are not fit for.

Im gonna assume archery hunting is illegal in your country..

Nope actually you can take down moose with bow in here but its totally different. Bow kills with massive blood loss that causes animal to drop down in shock and lose consciousness in seconds. If you have ever gone through that shock you would know you dont feel pain even if you are hurt pretty badly. Bowhunting when done well is actually really ethical way of taking down some big animals but there is no such fool that would try to harvest moose from 100y away with bow. Airgun hunting is actually illegal here except you are allowed to shoot none protected mamal inside of building except cat.

Sometimes I wonder do ppl really use ballistic calculators to check wind drifts etc.. Dont need to be a smart one to understand 200yd is long distance to most airguns. I have 257texan that I have shot all the way out to 280yds and can connect with pingpong balls at 220yds with like 90% hitrate but I would never shoot animal at that distance. 90% is far from 100% even without the extra aspect that animal can actually move alot in that flight time.

I dont know anyone who would consider 22lr to be good 200yd caliber yet we see alot of ppl saying 22cal airgun is but as far as Im aware of most ppl understand that even 22lr is superior energy and bc wise compared to any standard 22cal pcp you can get. 

.............Subsonic speeds with poop BC.............

.............ton of wounded animals..........

.............I dont think it serves anyone that we encourage ppl to buy tools for a job that they really are not fit for.

Looks like we agree on the first two comments you made. The relatively poor bc and low speeds means the projectiles are safe(R) than shooting the big fpe stuff.

And, yes, being able to shoot safely in places where shooting would not normally be possible does equal a ton of dead and wounded animals, which is the point. (the farmers and ranchers also poison and trap them, a fate far worse then my JSB 18.1 in the noggin or lungs). 

Disagree on the third. There are situations, long range or otherwise, where low power is the only option. 

Growing up on a ranch and having generations of ranching on both sides of my family, livestock takes priority over any other animal. City folk have a hard time with this. Coyotes are a shoot on sight critter as well, when you've seen a pack of coyotes eating alive a calf that a mother cow is trying to deliver and then the pieces of that now dead calf have to be pulled out of the mother, it'll change your mindset about the value of the life of a critter. This is a general mindset as well as a financial feasibility situation. Most people don't realize when they drive past a field full of cattle, that every one out there is worth between $500-2000, depending on current market prices. (cattle market is listed and tracked very much like the stock market-5 year average price for a 750lb steer is 143.16/100lbs so a typical 2 year steer is worth roughly $1100). So, coming at this from both sides, the pdogs need removed because they're not only out there eating grass the cattle can eat or they're eating alfalfa that is going to be turned into hay for the livestock to eat, but they're also out there ruining the fields by creating holes that that $1100 steer could step in and break a leg and become a 0$ steer, and they're out there creating axles breaking mounds. If I can do the job of removing pdogs more safely in and around the cattle herds I'm going to take the safer option. (I won't even talk about the horse situation, my team roper father sold his last heel horse for $15,000 a few years ago when he decide he was too old for roping-and that's not an expensive horse). 

So, after all that justification, it's just a ton of fun too. 

We're a long ways from the original question here though. 

The low power long range option allows us to shoot safely in certain places. So, as previously stated, consider your intended use (including specific areas) and don't over look low power options in your hunt for a long range accuracy rig. 

Nope actually you can take down moose with bow in here but its totally different. Bow kills with massive blood loss that causes animal to drop down in shock and lose consciousness in seconds. If you have ever gone through that shock you would know you dont feel pain even if you are hurt pretty badly. Bowhunting when done well is actually really ethical way of taking down some big animals but there is no such fool that would try to harvest moose from 100y away with bow. Airgun hunting is actually illegal here except you are allowed to shoot none protected mamal inside of building except cat.

Sometimes I wonder do ppl really use ballistic calculators to check wind drifts etc.. Dont need to be a smart one to understand 200yd is long distance to most airguns. I have 257texan that I have shot all the way out to 280yds and can connect with pingpong balls at 220yds with like 90% hitrate but I would never shoot animal at that distance. 90% is far from 100% even without the extra aspect that animal can actually move alot in that flight time.

I dont know anyone who would consider 22lr to be good 200yd caliber yet we see alot of ppl saying 22cal airgun is but as far as Im aware of most ppl understand that even 22lr is superior energy and bc wise compared to any standard 22cal pcp you can get.

Plenty of elk, deer, etc takin where I live at 100 yards with a bow. Archery is similar to airguning in my opinion. Its all about shot placement, confidence, and the right equipment. I wouldnt shoot a rabbit at 100 yards with a pump .177 just like I wouldnt shoot a deer at 50 yards with a kids bow. I see nothing wrong with shooting rabbits or squirrels at 100-200 yards with the right equipment. Ive done it many many times without a single crawl away. I practice archery and airguns pretty much daily.

mtnGhost.... What caliber are you having the most success at longer distances?

52gr .217 (0.185 BC) and the Griffin 40-44gr (0.155-0.163BC). Anything less seems to suffer too much from wind drift.

Those BCs are amazing, and blow away your typical .22LR bullet...! Damn, I need to try some heavier slugs, since I've been using lighter ones with 0.08 to 0.09 BC. When its not very windy I have no problem with .22 NSA 20.2 gr or FX Hybrid 22 gr at 175 yards or so on Ground Squirrels. Just a few weeks ago I had 3 shots at 161, 176, 176 yards, and three dead GS. Early morning, hardly any wind... I still have 27 FPE at 175 yards, so no worries about enough power at long range.

LOL you will never connect with bow to elk, deer etc at 100yds.. Well you can but you mostlikely hit it far off where the vitals are. You know they can hear bow going off alot before arrow is actually getting there and will jump that shot so not going to happen except in lala land. But nice story Bro.

Wow. Im steppin away from this one. OP, feel free to pm me with any questions.

LOL you will never connect with bow to elk, deer etc at 100yds.. Well you can but you mostlikely hit it far off where the vitals are. You know they can hear bow going off alot before arrow is actually getting there and will jump that shot so not going to happen except in lala land. But nice story Bro.

Wow. Im steppin away from this one. OP, feel free to pm me with any questions.

Never seen Cam Hanes, Tim Wells or a plethora of others shoot I guess. Western hunting is mostly 60+ yards from what I've seen. At 100 yards the sound of the bow is almost non existent. They spook when the shot is closer and can hear the bow string. I too agree that archery and airguns go hand in hand as far as shot placement. Obviously you have to practice at that range as well. If I hadn't shot at a certain distance before at a target I wouldn't take the shot with an airgun or bow. With modern equipment though the 100 yard shot is as easy now as a 50 yard shot was 25-30 years ago. 

Haha Tim Wells is the slock king, guys talent is amazing and he's a hell of a nice guy. It's like anything, you get good with practice. Airgunning is extremely similar as far as hunting technique, stalking skills etc, Few years ago I got invited to hunt with a few very experienced bowhunters and we had this discussion over the campfire. Really opened my eyes to the similarities between the two and was one of the best times I can remember.