Best PCP Airgun Scope Under $500?

Athlon has been the best budget scope I've seen. Nothing has had turrets that feel even close to as tactile and precise. Glass is pretty great as well. Plus their warranty was very impressive when I got a broken scope used from Amazon. The Helos BTR Gen 2 mentioned by ClarkT is a beast of a scope.

What is the use case?
Very different answers for 100 yard benchrest only or a backyard lightweight compact squirrel gun.
@Lewis good point there. I was interested in same question @joeg26er had. My use will be same question for light weight hunting scope. So maybe give both sides. Good quality scope for bench and light weight hunting. Kill 2 birds one stone maybe. As much as we’d like to try every optic. With so many options. I appreciate the help to narrow it down.

@Lewis good point there. I was interested in same question @joeg26er had. My use will be same question for light weight hunting scope. So maybe give both sides. Good quality scope for bench and light weight hunting. Kill 2 birds one stone maybe. As much as we’d like to try every optic. With so many options. I appreciate the help to narrow it down.

Hawke is fairly lightweight for their specs.

id never spend that much on a scope just for the 'glass' unless i was into planting my rear in a chair and counting clicks, but imo a 2-10 is pretty useless for that role unless its 20yd bench ... now a decent 3-12 for a buck fifty, a pard007v and some money left over for extra batts an illuminator and a gun tripod .. now i got something to play with and do some regulatin' out in the yard lol .. but yeah, just my personal perspective

Reactions: rangur1
What's better Mill spec or MOA? I'm new to air gunning really haven't ever used the scope.
Personally I think when picking mrad or moa it's a matter of choice. What style u know or want to learn. I haven't seen any pros/cons either way.
It dose get confusing when u try to use both. I forget how mrad works as I use moa. 1 inch at 100 yards is 1 moa.

Reactions: Pepper418
Mils (milliradians) (not "Mil spec"*) give you finer resolution if you use your reticle for ranging. MOA are much easier to think about and calculate mentally. I prefer mil, but you have to be a bit better at math and/or have some "known points" that you can SWAG from. That's the trade-off. After that, as mentioned, it's personal preference.

GsT

*"Mil spec" is short for "military specification" and is fairly meaningless in a lot of cases. Mostly (these days) it's just an advertising buzz phrase that's supposed to mean 'better'.

Reactions: Pepper418
Mils (milliradians) (not "Mil spec"*) give you finer resolution if you use your reticle for ranging. MOA are much easier to think about and calculate mentally. I prefer mil, but you have to be a bit better at math and/or have some "known points" that you can SWAG from. That's the trade-off. After that, as mentioned, it's personal preference.

GsT

*"Mil spec" is short for "military specification" and is fairly meaningless in a lot of cases. Mostly (these days) it's just an advertising buzz phrase that's supposed to mean 'better'.
Most correct. I got lazy reading the post.

I've purchased several lower power scopes but have pretty much decided I want to use 6-24 SFP when possible. I can find a squirrel quickly at 6X and I can shoot targets at 30 yards fine as long as the glass is decent. My athlon talos and Arken 6-24s work well for target work but the Arken reticle is nearly invisible below 8X so I don't care for it for squirrels. I just ordered a Vector Veyron 6-24 SFP from Krale (only source I know of) and I hope the glass is about as good as the Athlon. Squirrels are fine with a 2-7 usually and definitely with a 4-16 but targets are more of a struggle.

Reactions: Nattboy