• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best O rings

Best 0-ring, hmmm...

Well, some o-ring material is better at resisting heat, or cold, or chemicals. some are food grade, Some uv resistant. Some more resilient. Some impervious to caustic chemicals. All orings will get nicked or cut/damaged when exposed to sharp edges or abrasion.

If you're looking for an answer of what will be leak free for the longest time in pcp, you'd be better served by making its home more livable than concentrating on material types. As a pcp doesn't really live in harsh environments like an engine or compressor with huge heat swings or caustic chemicals. Most quality oring material is fine. No exotic oring material is needed imo.

Making sure the o-ring grooves are burr free and machined correctly will go along way to long oring life. As will slightly rounding out all sharp edges and slightly chamfering where applicable. Don't go overboard here, key is slightly, just enough to take off sharp edges that can nick/cut orings. A smooth polished surface that contacts orings will extend their life. Not introducing abrasives from dirty air charges helps o-ring life. Also, proper assembly is critical, slightly lubing orings on assembly is always good, compared to dry, no matter what you hear...

jmo

In PCP air gun applications .....

Buna/N 70 duro o-rings are the gold standard for static sealing. Assemble with Silicone grease they last well, don't swell and just seal !!

Best of them was a ring i was able to get from McMaster Carr for many years that was sold as a High Temp Buna/N and were Green in color.

Year or more ago they seem to have discontinued that specification. They were IMO simply excellent !!

Scott S

I don't know anything about Airgun o-rings. However I have used o-rings in industrial sealing applications for years. Viton o-rings have a higher temp. rating and I have seen green ones, but they are not always green.

Viton SWELLS at high pressure ... don't use viton in HPA applications

Well thats good to know!! Thank you.

Buna-N for static seals, or polyurethane for dynamic (exposed to abrasion).

Good discussion here
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/pcp-leaks-as-a-common-occurrence

I WISH they could all be polyurethane duro 90!!!!

As well POLY takes a set ( Altered shape memory ) far more so than Buna. This leads to, is an air gun that if pressure falls away to near zero the POLY o-rings have little memory to be round with positive expansion against there containment ... therefor leaking upon pressure being put back into the system.

Poly rings far and away tho are best suited to Dynamic applications. poppet seals, regulator spools and air pumps on there sliding surfaces ( Dynamic ) such as ShoeBox and similar applications.