Best night shooting light color

I been using green as the red cuts back too much light. Been using smaller lights with limited throw because its an airgun and am working up close. Switched over to Streamlight Pro-Tacs from SF Scouts cause can run either AAs or 123s. For Scouts you can use Nite-Core filters and bezels on the cheap. I forget the brand I use for the Pro-Tacs.

Mark

edit: Try smear vaseline on lens takes the edge off that specular beam that could startle an animal. Kinda like a subtle diffusing effect.

Reactions: SHOMER
I been using green as the red cuts back too much light. Been using smaller lights with limited throw because its an airgun and am working up close. Switched over to Streamlight Pro-Tacs from SF Scouts cause can run either AAs or 123s. For Scouts you can use Nite-Core filters and bezels on the cheap. I forget the brand I use for the Pro-Tacs.

Mark

edit: Try smear vaseline on lens takes the edge off that specular beam that could startle an animal. Kinda like a subtle diffusing effect.

I agree a flood of light does better that a focused beam. Although they don't see the light like we do they can see the lens of the light itself and the extra movement of sweeping a beam can get their attention. 

In my experience I have found that green allows my eyes to better see shapes, outline, and patterns. The red, however, does a better job of revealing eye-shine, or eye reflection. Especially as the distance increases. I haven't hunted birds at night, so I don't know how their eyes do reflecting the red light, but rats' eyes reflect very well. There are some very affordable red and green LED lights that attach to your scope. Grab one of each and see which works best for you. Let us know!

James

Thanks for the many responses, it seems I would be best served to buy both a red and a green light. Much of my night shooting will be inside barns for starlings, rats, and the ocassional snake that seems to enjoy scaring the daylights out of the neighbor when it drops down from overhead rafters!!! I use my 75 TO1 match rifle with a simple 4x40 scope. From 15 ft to 75 ft the impact point barely changes and the lower power keeps thru shots from causing unplanned damage to facilities. Works great but a white light causes critters to scatter immediately, with no chance for a shot. 

I recently did some research on this topic and after getting my degree from YouTube U, I purchased both a red and a green. I do prefer the green over the red just because I can see better with the green for rodents. My quarry down here is iguanas and they actually don't show up well with either the red or the green. I end up using a plain white high output flash light to see them in their roost and pop them out of trees.