Best Multi-pump

An old Crossman 140 is a good gun although the trigger is not as good as the Sheridan. They are cheaper.
The trigger on the 140 and 1400 is livable up to about 6 pumps, beyond that it is pretty stiff.
You can do a bit of polishing, and install a lighter return spring to make it more predictable, but will not get anything near a Rekord trigger pull.
They are fun to shoot though, and make good power for backyard pesting.

The trigger on the 140 and 1400 is livable up to about 6 pumps, beyond that it is pretty stiff.
You can do a bit of polishing, and install a lighter return spring to make it more predictable, but will not get anything near a Rekord trigger pull.
They are fun to shoot though, and make good power for backyard pesting.
I rebuilt and shot the first 140 I've dealt with last weekend. The most notable takeaway from the experience was how heavy the trigger was.

Felt like it was 15 pounds at 8 pumps lol

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio
I rebuilt and shot the first 140 I've dealt with last weekend. The most notable takeaway from the experience was how heavy the trigger was.

Felt like it was 15 pounds at 8 pumps lol
I just rebuilt my 1400 at the end of last month.
I addressed the sear surface carefully, polished the rear of the 'hammer' or valve return weight whatever it's called, swapped trigger return springs and lubed properly. It still has that hitch and grab, then the BIG squeeze, but it smoothed out by orders of magnitude, and is fairly predictable now.
Pull weight now would be a wild guess, but it is less than it was before fiddling. It is pretty nice at 6, steep at 8 but smoother and more predictable.

I was able to rig a peep sight on the rear, but have not gotten to zero the sights yet so have no comments on accuracy.
Use the rear sight from a plastic Crosman 1377 or 1322 breech. Groove the bottom to fit the 9/16 radius of the 1400, acquire a longer screw for the rear block and tighten up.
20230609_232611.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't resist posting a pic of my custom 1400. I drilled and tapped the action for the Williams peep sight.
These really are nice, solid, and efficient pumpers. Pretty easy pumping, for the power you get.

Gotta get mine out for some shooting now, after noticing this thread.
Crosman 1400~39.jpg
Crosman.JPG

The price is a bit rough, but what an air rifle! There's the Turkish walnut, which is gorgeous. The steel breech is already installed and it makes a difference. The front sight is considerably better than the 362 version and the Walther peep sight is exceptional, or replace it with a Walther notched sight if that's your preference (but... more $$). Mount a scope if that's your thing, but make it worthy of the rifle (so that's even more $$$). For shooting in its effective range, I don't need a scope. As delivered, it definitely outperforms the 'stock' Crosman C362, which I own as well. The only thing about it I'd change is exchanging the peep sight for the notched version, but I have no plans to do so. As is, it's super handy, handles great and it's always ready to go when you are. For pests (and small game, if desired), I like this MUCH more than the C362, or even my .22 Dragonfly mk2 (another excellent air rifle), and eight pumps for full power is a cinch, especially compared to 15 for the Dragonfly! When it comes down to it, I think it's worth the extra dough. I love it!

Reactions: Farmplinker2
I picked up an older Blue Streak a few months back-nice rifle. But...My Dragonfly2 out-performs it in every way. It also beats my other pumpers- Daisy 880, and 1966 Crosman 760. Its a tinkerers gun though. After enlarging the transfer port and tweaking the pump stroke, the power soared. Now 700fps with 10pumps, almost 800fps at 15pumps. Easiest pumping gun there is, .22cal or .177, and a working magazine too. If you dont do anything to the gun, its still a good shooter. The power and accuracy are amazing. Would love to see a German company make a similar gun.

I bought a Crosman 362 on a whim and am glad I did. I purchased the steel breech and installed it myself. I am shocked at what a solid,tight little rifle this is. After a good barrel cleaning and 100+ shot break in,I'm getting dime size 5 shot groups at 25 yds. Internals are stock except for some trigger work. Ten shots at 8 pumps over the chrony with AA Falcon 13.43's are as follows. High-670,Low-666,Ave-668, Es-4,Sd-1 !!
IMG_20231021_140338403_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231021_140020468.jpg

I bought a Crosman 362 on a whim and am glad I did. I purchased the steel breech and installed it myself. I am shocked at what a solid,tight little rifle this is. After a good barrel cleaning and 100+ shot break in,I'm getting dime size 5 shot groups at 25 yds. Internals are stock except for some trigger work. Ten shots at 8 pumps over the chrony with AA Falcon 13.43's are as follows. High-670,Low-666,Ave-668, Es-4,Sd-1 !!View attachment 399052View attachment 399053
Thats impressive dime size groups at 25 yards.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
Crosman is coming out with a 367 later this year, the 362 in .177. It's going to be a good deal.
Amazon has the Benjamin variable pump from various dealers.
Now that sounds like a very good thing! In the meantime, there's something of an option now at the Crosman website that almost lets you create one now, and I think it's an extremely good deal. They have this 'build your own customized airgun' thing at their site going on now (crosman.com), and my wife just let me take advantage of the process to snag me a new '1377' that ended up resembling a highly modified .177 Drifter (I have two of the .22 Drifters -- one scoped and one just iron sights) more than anything else. I chose the 1377 rather than a 1322 as my starting point (I already have a P1322, the Drifters, a C362 & C2023, a Benjamin 397 & 392 and a .22 Seneca D-fly mk2), to which I added the longer metal breech, an 18" barrel (a 14" Walther is offered), a better muzzle with the steel front sight post, a new trigger, a Williams notched sight (instead of a Williams peep (I have a little bit of trouble now with peepers and my nearly seventy year old eyes)), the ubiquitous black plastic Crosman shoulder stock... plus a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. To all that I added a LIFETIME guarantee for only $10 extra, applied a 10% discount I'd somehow earned for purchases on their site... and when all finally was said and done, my new customized carbine came in at a very respectable $198 and change. Yes! I'm not much for modding these days (arthritis and trigger finger in both hands makes fine work requiring any strength kinda rough), and heck, I'm not even sure I'd be able to get everything I selected online ordered, delivered, paid for and assembled for that low a price, so this was an AWESOME deal, at least in my book. I even had my wife's name inscribed on the barrel, which was free, so it will always remind me of our anniversary. :) Anyway, it's already here, but back in the eggshell foam padded delivery box and leaning up against the living room wall, since other than me makin' sure it was intact, what it was supposed to be and worked, we decided to keep it closed up in the box and out of my greedy little paws until our anniversary in December. Now THAT is gonna be rough! ;-) Anyway, you're probably already aware of the Crosman 'roll your own' deal, but just in case, I thought I'd give you a heads up about it (they also have the CO2 2400 and another pistol available for use as starting points for those not interested in variable pumpers). IMO, the price can't be beat, and it's something I've always wanted anyhow. Now... I wonder what kind of deal I could wrangle for a unique all wood stock? :) Hmm...