Best Multi-pump

Back in the day I had a Crossman 1400, that got stolen some 20 years ago. I went and bought a Crossman Optimus, break barrel, and I just hate the recoil. Looking to get back into a pump up gun. Anyone point me to a good one. Not going to spend the money on a PCP, don't want CO2. I've read some poor reviews on the Dragonfly MK2's reliability. I was liking the Beaman 392, but it's not easy to find, and shows discontinued on Crossman website. Want to stay in a 177 for speed.
Thanks

I suggest the classics such as a Benjamin pumper from the '70s or earlier. I still own the Sheridan I bought with my paper route money back then, and consider it the finest American pumper ever made. With the worst selection in pellets of any common caliber now that Doc BB is no longer advocating it

Worst, not Worse. Damned auto complete,,

Last edited:
Any of the Crosman multi-pumps are well worth the money. I have a 2289 and have been very happy with it. I shoot it at 25 yards and below. I have shot it at 50 yards and I'm sure its more capable than I am, I just didn't want to pump it up 10 times. At 25 yards 6 pumps, 15 yards 4 pumps and 7 yards 3 pumps works for me. IMHO I believe the Crosman multi-pumps are one of the if not the most versatile, practical/functional air pistol/carbine for the money 🎯

A rocker safety Sheridan Blue or Silver Streak is the best place to spend your money.

The goofy .20 caliber is the only downfall.

They are leagues above any of the chinesium stuff built today. They have good triggers, great accuracy and make decent power.
Thats about what I've decided. They think a lot of those too. Finding one not worn out is the key. Do they still make seal kits and parts for them?

Thats about what I've decided. They think a lot of those too. Finding one not worn out is the key. Do they still make seal kits and parts for them?
Yep.

They hardly "wear out" unless they have just been very abused. Look for barrel separation as the biggest potential surprise. Otherwise, they can be resealed pretty easily. Keep in mind that most worked fine for 40 years before they needed anything.

Baker Airguns usually has a few in stock, and I'm sure they would answer any specific questions you have. They work on them too.

They are pricy but will hold their value much better than any new one you could buy.

Just my opinion.

And .20 isn't a goofy caliber.

Sheridan had to do something different because the others at the time were of poor quality and they wanted to build something way beyond what was available. They succeeded and 20 has long been my favorite caliber.

The butthurt is deep here. ... SO deep!

J~

The Seneca Dragonfly MKii is not to be missed. For 200 bones you get an all wood gun, magazine fed, and your choice of .177 or .22. They are the easiest cocking multi pump I have tried.

Many of the reliability concerns I have seen come from teen abuse. My riend got one as soon as they were available and has been shooting it quite a bit. The only thing I hate about it is his has been more accurate than a lot of my guns. Maybe it's the shooter!

Hard to beat a good benjamin 397 or 392. I really enjoy the cros. 140 and it is a fine shooter but if i had to keep one, it would be my steroided benji in .22. My brother has 3-4 sheridans in .20 i tried to sell for him at the findlay show but people didn't seem to be into the .20 cal. to much. I would get them but i don't have any pellets for em. But i have a buttload of .177 and .22 pellets so thats where i'll ride.

Reactions: DRose
I have a Crosman 140 .22 with a Hawke 2x7x32 scope mounted on it and at 32 yds its just as accurate as any of my break barrels...it likes any of the JSB pellets but shoots the 15.89 gr very well..trigger does get stiffer the more you pump it but you get used to it quickly.
That is true with the pumping. I was thinking that at 71 it's probably not the best time to start shooting a multi pump but I am getting use to it. (y)

The Benjamin 347 (.177) and 342 (.22) are good guns as well. Very similar internally to the Sheridan. They are a little more "workmanlike" in finish and feel, but built like tanks. Triggers are still very decent too. They are more compact as well.

Had both and still prefer the Sheridan though.
I will echo the above sentiments on the Benji pampers like 342 and 347.
I passed on a very nice 347 because it just felt too small. I am 6'1" and have no issues with a streak though.
Go for a nice rocker safety Sheridan, or a Crosman C9. I have a C9A in .20 that is a sweetheart of a rifle.