Best Mid level .25 cal

Ok guys so I looking to buy my first pcp. Not new to guns by any means but haven’t owned much more than a Crossman pellet gun from walmart, so pcp guns are kinda foreign ground for me. But looking for something for target and some backyard pest control. Kinda settled on a .25 cal it’s fairly windy where I’m at and have a few groundhogs and mink that need to go. After watching some utube I came across Aea Varmint, seems to be what looking for. What other guns would be comparable or preferred to the Varmint, in a mid level price range.

Reactions: JamesD.
here you go
Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 10.39.02 AM.jpg

Reactions: meharris3
CJ,
Not familiar with the AEA Varmint, see it sells around $600. Guess any Varmint owners will have to speak to the pros and cons. My generic answer to any .25 "starter" PCP suggestion is to avoid any long (over 45 inches) or heavy (ten pounds-scoped) guns. This includes the Umarex Gauntlet and Benjamin Marauder, who both also utilize aging technology. I'd look at the Air Venturi Avenger (Wood Stock), the DAR Generation 3 and the soon-to-be released Airacuda Max. You can charge your PCP with a high-pressure air hand pump, $50 Chinese version sold on eBay, works fine. You'll likely end up with a compressor, but that expense can wait. Don't forget a scope, a fairly decent multi-power AO WestHunter or Centerpoint should work without breaking the budget. Research ammo prices so you don't get sticker shock, JSB brand is very popular. Best of Luck, WM

I Did look at a challenger is right at the top of what I’m looking to spend. Have also seen a few Air Force talons on eBay for what seams reasonable, they just look like an awkward gun to shoot.
Air Force rifles have very bad ergonomics. Your cheek puts your eye out of the scope so you may not have a constant possition to achieve reiterarte same angle in the scope for shooting. That will imply lack of accuracy even if the rifle was perfectly made.

Air Force rifles have very bad ergonomics. Your cheek puts your eye out of the scope so you may not have a constant possition to achieve reiterarte same angle in the scope for shooting. That will imply lack of accuracy even if the rifle was perfectly made.
I can definitely appreciate the simplicity of the guns but the wonky ergos and the fact that they won’t accept a magazine is kinda a deal breaker for me.

PCP shooting is a blast!

I can second that. And third it, too. 😄

If you start with a lower priced PCP, you learn how they work, learn how to tune it, shoot it well (airgun trajectories require lots of adjustments even over short ranges), and then you know what's really important to you, and what kind of shooting scenarios you want to use an airgun for.

And then go get a higher priced gun.

Matthias

I can second that. And third it, too. 😄

If you start with a lower priced PCP, you learn how they work, learn how to tune it, shoot it well (airgun trajectories require lots of adjustments even over short ranges), and then you know what's really important to you, and what kind of shooting scenarios you want to use an airgun for.

And then go get a higher priced gun.

Matthias
Marauders are great learn with, IMO. Price point is there, shoots well, has Crosman service behind it, parts and advice galore and its a proven reliable platform. May not be as sexy as new stuff but a great pcp nonetheless.

Reactions: Hal4son

Haven’t purchased from here yet, but the prices for the upgrades and tunes they do, seem insanely reasonable - compared to how much the stock models are.

I’ve also heard nothing but positive reviews from them

I have something to share that you may wish to consider:

Before you buy your chosen “starter PCP gun” thoroughly check out the retailer and be certain that they are a factory authorized repair/service dealer. Every gun needs repair sooner or later, and it’s in your favor that you purchase from a source authorized to work on such…..

Reactions: CyberDyneSystems
I guess some things to know would be your budget, definition of backyard friendly, what you plan to shoot with it, and what you plan to fill it with.

I am just saying this because I can tune my 25 cal airforce condor to the power level of shooting through 2-2x4's, which I would not call backyard friendly for where I live. I can also tune it to shoot 34 jsb's at 30 to 40 shots a fill or more.

I am by no means saying get an airforce either. Just making a point that more info is needed to make an honest suggestion. I personally hate hand pumps because it is a royal pia to fill every time. I hate them so much I bought a large tank and an Alkin w31.

Just some things to consider.

Last edited:
I agree with the Benjamin Kratos in quarter bore. Currently $575 ish on the bay. The varmint is an AEA HP variant with a folding stock. (If you like a wiggly hinged stocks) Both the Cayden and Kratos are wood and metal (with the Cayden being slimmer of stock and un-moderated) The trigger in the Benji is nice two stage. Kratos/Cayden is side lever while varmint is a bolt.