Best instant kill shot placement for small rats?

When hunting rats with my air-soft pistol I try for similar shot placements as when hunting Griz with air pistols.🤨

With either species, a shot behind the ear works well; but shoulder shots can break them down long enough for a coup de grace before they can GET YOU!😳🤯

WE rat.JPG

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Puppadore
right… i asked one question. If that is complex…. I dont know what to say to you. Take it easy, have a nice day.
Dude, whatever… maybe you should’ve completed your thoughts in your OP. Would’ve save a crap ton of everyones time. You have a nice day yourself… like I said didn’t know rats were some complex to kill.

Dude, whatever… maybe you should’ve completed your thoughts in your OP. Would’ve save a crap ton of everyones time. You have a nice day yourself… like I said didn’t know rats were some complex to kill.
Let’s be adults and be mature. I had a simple question. I got some good answers, im happy. Let’s leave it at that. Not sure what else you want. I already apologized for hurting your emotions.

Let’s be adults and be mature. I had a simple question. I got some good answers, im happy. Let’s leave it at that. Not sure what else you want. I already apologized for hurting your emotions.
Yes, let’s… follow your own advice… hurting my emotions? Why would your inability with rats hurt my emotions…? Man! You’re full of yourself!!! I’ve asked you for nothing… good luck with them rats…

Last edited:
Yes, let’s… follow your own advice… hurting my emotions? Why would your inability with rats hurt my emotions…? Man! You’re full of yourself!!! I’ve asked you for nothing… good luck with them rats…
Are you ok?

I have apologized and asked to simply move on on the last three posts. And every time you try to insult. Again, be mature and move on. This is silly. I hope you are an adult, please behave like one.

I thought you said you moved on? Insult you? Please read your own post. No where in mind do I insult you.

I am OK, thanks! But you sir are projecting too much. You said you got your answers move along. I’ve killed over a thousand rats. And that’s just rats, not counting birds, those are facts. Good luck with your ratting. Maybe provide an image of your shooting environment to get better help? You don’t know me…

I thought you said you moved on? Insult you? Please read your own post. No where in mind do I insult you.

I am OK, thanks! But you sir are projecting too much. You said you got your answers move along. I’ve killed over a thousand rats. And that’s just rats, not counting birds, those are facts. Good luck with your ratting. Maybe provide an image of your shooting environment to get better help? You don’t know me…
We good man. I’m here because i enjoy shooting, and hope you are too. Let’s just enjoy the hobby. It’s awesome you killed over thousand rats, not counting birds. Clearly you like shooting… and so do I. And i probably have more to learn from your experience. We have stuff in common. We have more reason to talk about excitement of shooting than anything negative. Whatever i did to make you unhappy, i did not mean to do it.

Reactions: L.Leon
I’m still wondering why a pellet eaten by a chicken will kill them. I’ve never heard that before.
From what i heard from chicken store, chickens are prone to lead poisoning. Also because they have no teeth, they eat sand and store it in the gizzard to grind up whatever food they eat. If they eat small pieces of lead, it stays in the gizzard because it can’t be broken down. They could show signs of lead poisoning which is lethargy and slowly die, or worse is that the eggs can contain significantly high amounts of lead. Now, im no expert on this. I dont know the details, but i trust the chicken people in the store. And yes, some of my chickens slowly died with exact symptom, but not all

I think this is the reason why people use tungsten shots or any lead free shots for water fowl hunting.

Last edited:
Cool. What are the red blue and white wires for and what the black things are?
The wires are connected to an infrared emitter and detector. So when the rat breaks the infrared beam it triggers a circuit that activate a solenoid that pulls the triggering plate of the trap. Noticed the wire connected to the triggering plate. This infrared beam works better than anything else I've tried. Because rats often don't eat anything they're very cautious but they often smell things and that's all they need to do to be terminated. I also added nails and a saw blade so that the rat is slammed against the nails and saw blade and cannot wiggle out. Because the big ones can still get away without that modification. The trap has the springs modified so there's 50% more clamping pressure than the standard trap. The black things are unshelled sunflower seeds that are part of the bird mix that I use for bait. I like bird seed because it lasts a long time without spoiling the rats seem to love it and it doesn't attract ants.

I'm getting confused by this thread,

so the OP was shooting animals without knowing where to shoot them at ?.....first rule for a hunter or anyone chosing to shoot critters is to study the anatomy, no ways around it, period.
Yeah. It’s my mistake. I was shooting the underside of rats because their belly was facing me. I figured i should be making lung shots. Should do more research, hence i am here.

They all die. The problem is that they dont die right on spot, they run 5-10 seconds before death.

It sounds like you expect a nearly foolproof instant kill with a somewhat low powered airgun. Low power may not be the actual problem. Most of the time.

Face it, head shots will usually provide the best kills 'in their tracks' with lead.

Killing isn't yet distilled to a perfect science with airguns. Or powder burners..

It sounds like you expect a nearly foolproof instant kill with a somewhat low powered airgun. Low power may not be the actual problem. Most of the time.

Face it, head shots will usually provide the best kills 'in their tracks' with lead.

Killing isn't yet distilled to a perfect science with airguns. Or powder burners..
Thanks. Im not expecting it, but hoping they dont crawl somewhere quickly and die there. You are correct. Low power isnt the issue. I’ve tried from 600 to 900 fps and it doesnt make a difference as they all go through the rat clean. Headshots have been tricky because im shooting facing their belly. I only see underside of neck and snout. They crawl on chicken wire which is facing me.

Yeah. It’s my mistake. I was shooting the underside of rats because their belly was facing me. I figured i should be making lung shots. Should do more research, hence i am here.

They all die. The problem is that they dont die right on spot, they run 5-10 seconds before death.
Ahhhhh I see now, so not to be blunt but you obviously have very little experiance,
shooting the belly if you lucky you will get one lung and that is a far from optimal shot.

Now I also have to question the statement "dead accurate" ......first of all that can mean a totally different accuracy standard depending on the subject declaring it, secondly I've never heard of alloy pointed pellets been accurate on the contrary.

Now for final thoughts :

if by shooting a good pellet you cut the wire I would say that a bit of stiching is well worth a dead rat, I rather shoot a pellet that goes through the wire rather that one that gets deflected.

Either way good luck to you and listen to advice experienced people give you regardless if you like it or not

Reactions: 450BM
Thanks. Im not expecting it, but hoping they dont crawl somewhere quickly and die there. You are correct. Low power isnt the issue. I’ve tried from 600 to 900 fps and it doesnt make a difference as they all go through the rat clean. Headshots have been tricky because im shooting facing their belly. I only see underside of neck and snout. They crawl on chicken wire which is facing me.
Don't ever expect perfection. There will always be some that roam. Unless you explode them in 2.

As far as I'm concerned you have very unreasonable expectations... Try multiple approaches. Airguns, poison and traps.

Ahhhhh I see now, so not to be blunt but you obviously have very little experiance,
shooting the belly if you lucky you will get one lung and that is a far from optimal shot.

Now I also have to question the statement "dead accurate" ......first of all that can mean a totally different accuracy standard depending on the subject declaring it, secondly I've never heard of alloy pointed pellets been accurate on the contrary.

Now for final thoughts :

if by shooting a good pellet you cut the wire I would say that a bit of stiching is well worth a dead rat, I rather shoot a pellet that goes through the wire rather that one that gets deflected.

Either way good luck to you and listen to advice experienced people give you regardless if you like it or not
Aye. True words.

The reason why these alloy pellets are dead accurate is simple. Im shooting around 10 yards. At 10 yards… nothing is really inaccurate. With a PCP, putting the pellets through the same hole is not difficult at all at 10 yards.

The wire cutting is a none negotiable issue for me. Wife and I agreed, if wire is damaged, i don’t shoot rats at all. This is something personal i do not want to get into. But basically, i wont be shooting at all, if wires get damaged. I have been fixing them in stealth… but fixing can cover only so much.

Don't ever expect perfection. There will always be some that roam. Unless you explode them in 2.

As far as I'm concerned you have very unreasonable expectations... Try multiple approaches. Airguns, poison and traps.
Thanks. As stated i have no expectations, but do have hope.

I can try poison and traps, but why do that when I get an excuse to use my air guns. It is very enjoyable for me, and oddly relaxing to shoot rats.

If i just wanted to get rid of rats, instead of fun… i would just pay someone to get rid of them.