• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Indoor or Inside a fence set up..

Okay so my niece is in a neighborhood and I got her a Crown. the neighborhood is kinda open so we can set up like 50 yards out her back door no problem. We took it down the street to an open clearing to get it initially zeroed and now I trust that it'll hit paper I was wondering what other people use as a simple backstop that she can easily take down/put up. We wanted to put it 50 yards away from the house and shoot from the living room through a door (old school sniper way haha) but wanted to create a simple backstop so the pellets didnt continue and hit someone's fence. 

I use a 2’X2’ oak board that’s 3” thick against my fence as a backstop. I build furniture as a hobby and just used some scrap pieces I have laying around to make it. I have hit it with several 80 FPE .30 pellet and it penetrates about 1/2 inch. It’s a loud sound when it makes contact so you might need something quieter. There are several on the site that fill a plastic storage box up with rubber mulch and use that. That would be a quieter option but my board works fine and didn’t cost me anything to make.

-Rubber mulch in a Rubbermaid bin

-Steel plate 

- and this looks like something I've always wanted from new AGN sponsor- Target Forge 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.09.28 AM.1615565440.1615660363.png

PK

I would not use and rubber mats to shoot at. They can bounce back for a good distance. I have been hit by a pellet bounce back at 25 yards at an indoor range with a big rubber mat for a backstop.

Depends on FPE and distance. I’ve had bounce back from my 6fpe FWB300 at 10 meters. But my 20fpe FT gun will sink pellets safely in stall mat at 55 yards. Uj

Creedmoresports.com has a portable target and backstop system, but it costs $425. Fortunately you can make something even better for 1/4 the cost.

I used some scrap 3/4"x4" oak to build a pair of 12"x12"x4" shadow box frame. The back of each box is made of 3/4 plywood. I then used contact cement to glue a 12"x12" 16 gauge steel plate ($11 each @ Home Depot) to the inside of the box. I also drilled a small hole in each corner of the steel and secured it further with panhead screws.

A router was used to route a 1/4"x1/4" groove that cardboard slides into at the front of of the box. (Hard to explain but think of it as the cardboard is where the glass is in a typical shadow box. The groove is really unnecessary though, cardboard can just be taped across the front of the target. Just be sure to tape the bottom well so pellets don't fall on your floor. The 4" gap between the cardboard and steel is where the pellets get trapped.

I designed a simple base that can hold the shadow boxes at different heights to practice in any position from prone to standing. It is just a 54" 1x4 mounted vertically(upright) to a simple t-shaped base. The shadow box is secured to the upright 1x4 using extra strong velcro patches.

For the bigger secondary backstop, I copied what the CMP has at both their Anniston and Camp Perry indoor air rifle ranges.

I bought 2 yards (60"x72") of 1000d Cordura from Amazon for $25 and 2 yards of 1680d Ballistic Nylon from www.canvasetc.com for $20. I then paid a neighbor that had a upholstery sewing machine $20 to sew them together and hem the edges. He also folded over and sewed the top three inches so that a 6'x1.5" oak dowel ($30)could be run through like a drapery rod.

The secret is that it MUST hang loose at the bottom. As long as it is not stretched tight it acts like a baseball glove and absorbs the pellets energy before letting the pellet fall to the ground.

My daughters shadow box pellet trap has over 10,000 shots in it and has performed flawlessly. Every few hundred shots the sacrificial cardboard gets replaced and she is off to the races again.

For $117 and some scrap wood I built a setup for two shooters to shoot 3p air rifle simultaneously or 1 shooter to shoot a 3x20 practice match.

JimmyO what a great idea. Luckily I have access to ballistic nylon, Hockey pants are made from ballistic nylon, different deniers and colours. Have the sewing machine as well. We even have Kevlar cloth for tough spots. Part of my old business. I’ll make one for next year. I’m fixing 4 holes in wall now from wife’s shooting misses. Thanks for the hot tip. Crow