Best Hunting Pellets For .177

Nice to see you worked through and as no one ever owns more than one airgun ( eh? ) you'll get to use those sample again but very likely the common "good" brands will be best, but it is best to test them all in every barrel personally which you did.

I zero everything at 25-27 yards myself. You have downloaded chairgun or such and looked at the ballistic graph ( which you need to tweek to your particular rig somewhat then they work well) right?

Keep us posted.

John

Hey John well I downloaded the program but I am not sure I filled out the fields correctly, because I do not know the MV and the Pellets I am using are not listed!

Seems like an AWESOME PROGRAM! I got this chart after I put in some figures that I made up with my idea, seems to me that I have the same aiming point at 10Y as I will at 40Y, does that sound right to you? 

http://i.imgur.com/0ye2L0A.jpg

Well guys, I have my .177 shooting the way I wanted, here is a picture of a 7.8 oz. can of 7up I used as a target. I was aiming at the red circle on the can at 10 yards, freehand using a Air Arms Diabolo Field Heavy 10.3 gr. pellet. The red circle measures 3/4". Next step is to zero my rifle at 25 yards and to produce the same result. Finally starting to like my Crosman! :eek:)

Coincidently the size of the red circle is approximately the same size of a sparrow's head or a feral cat's stinky azz! lol

yTbalEe.jpg

BumbleB, Congrats on your Crosman NP! I have a Trail NP and an RWS 34 and spring guns definitely are a new realm. Looks like your figuring it out though! :D One pellet that hasn't been mentioned are RWS Superdomes. I find these to be super hard hitting even over other domed pellets. It's hard to beat JSB's though! :)
Have fun!
Oh and Spysir was right! No one owns just one air rifle! :D :D

Thanks Zephyr, with the knowledge I have learned from this forum I now have the right pellets and they are smoking hot and deadly. I am starting to feel guilty killing all these magpies I have because they simply do not stand a chance, not in the least!

They only come indoors once deceased, so I can take a picture for you guys then put them in a garbage bag/coffin lol

The one that is the most accurate for the gun at hunting ranges and for the type of hunting ie . night time barn shooting , day time long range ground squirrel shooting.

Try them all to see what to use where and when. Straight Shooters has test paks of various weights and shapes. These paks save you money with your exploration.

PM

I have been following the post and thought I would weigh in. I have a bunch of PCP's and Springer's that I go back and forth shooting to keep up my skills. I keep a 177 Gamo Whisper Springer at my window overlooking the feeders and the garden. My shots with this rifle are kept within 40 yards. I have slowed the rifle down and sighted it in using JSB Exact Beast Diablo Pellets at 16.20 gr. These are very consistent and every shot is a kill as long as I do my part and keep the shot within the capabilities of the rifle, no more than 40 yards. All the advise you have gotten here is sound in the above posts. But you are limited with the 177 rifle you are shooting. To accurately shoot and kill at the 70 yard range you need a larger caliber. The learning curve on a Springer is long and steep. Practice is the only thing that will give you consistency. If we were talking PCP it would be an entirely different scenario. They are easier to shoot and can handle larger calibers thus more foot pounds of energy as well as repeatable accuracy. My Bobcat MK2 in 25 Caliber can easily shoot to 100 yards with accuracy, if I practice shooting at that distance. Shoot your rifle as much as you can, find the pellet that works with your rifle in Dome and you will improve on your accuracy.
I was a long distance shooter for many years shooting a 338. A lot of that information and skill transfers to these Air Guns but they are a different beast and can humble the best of shooters. Have fun and shoot within your skills and the rifles capabilities.

I hear you Accuracy, air rifles sure are different then powder burners.

I am looking forward to the summertime, so I can go out and really give my .177 a workout, all I have to do now is to figure out the drop at different yards and based on why you said I am thinking of zeroing my scope at 25 yards, that way the differences from 10 to 40 yards will be reasonable.

Knowing what I know now, I never would have purchased the .177 and would have gone with either the .22 or .25. But with that said, anything within 40 yards, better be ready to meet their maker! hehe

Bought a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag for X-mas for myself, whenever I go out to shoot I will be bringing my .177 in case there are any rabbits, prairie dogs, magpies or crows around.

Cheers!

In my Hatsan EDGE in 177 I'm using Kodiaks at 10.5 gr. The velocity is ~ 845fps ... very fast for a small barrel breaker. This gun is a gas ram. My 22 cal EDGE is sending 14.3gr CPHP's out at 770fps. Both guns are capable of pest starlings past 50 yds and ground squirrels in the 35+ yard area for sure.

I would shoot a pellet that had some weight, at the very least 8.5+grs in 177 in a gas ram gun. You need a good BC to keep the speed up at longer ranges and when the pellet gets there you need some hitting power.

wll