Best gun and ammo for squirrel hunting

I use the Umarex Gauntlet which I love for 3 major reasons:

1. Accuracy

2. Multishot

3. Shot capacity per fill

I have taken countless squirrels with it and I love it. I have a ..22 Benjamin NotroNP that I like too, but it is not as good as my Gauntlet. 

For ammo, I go with the basic Crossman Premier. In the gauntlet, these pellets hit true every time.

thanks @estarkey7 for the info. I would put my budget for the gun and scope at $800 to $1000 and ideally less if possible. American made is pretty important to me though not critical but would not want Chinese made.

That's understandable, and we need to make certain we can keep American companies in business. Another side benefit of going with Benjamin, is the warranty for most of their airguns is 5 years, which is simply excellent.

Here are my recommendations. Note, all of the airguns have multi-shot magazines in either lever or bolt action. Some of the guns recommended to you are single pellet hand load, which for squirrel hunting, I do not recommend.

1. Airgun Option 1: Benjamin Marauder with scope combo in .25cal at $700.
  2. Airgun Option 2: Benjamin Kratos in .25cal. This has a larger air tank so you get more shots per fill at $634. 
  3. Airgun Option 3: Benjamin Akela .22cal. Smaller caliber but a Bullpup design that has adjustable power at $632.
  4. Scope Option 1: UTG 3-12X44 Scope, AO from 10yards to infinity at $95.
  5. Scope Option 2: UTG 3-9X32 Scope, AO from 3 yards to infinity at $95.
  6. Air Source Option 1: 4500PSI Compressor to fill your gun. Buy this with the 3 or 4 year protection option for $300.
  7. Air Source Option 2: Air Venturi 4500psi Hand Pump.
  8. Ammo: We are in crisis with ammo shortages everywhere. JSB Exacts, JSB Hades and JSB Polymags have been the best pellets in most guns. The Hades and Polymags have super expansion and are devastating on small game.Try to get ammo from Pyramid Air, as if you buy 3 tins, you get the 4th one for free. 
    [/LIST=1]

This should at least point you in the right direction.

So an ex NRA pistol instructor.

For your 800 dollars you could get into the benjamin marauder pistol. With a stock (included) it turns into a great little carbine. Hand pumping that marauder is not difficult. I am 65 with rheumatoid arthritis. It actually helps to loosen me up some. And in 30 pumps I can take it from around 2100 PSi back to 2900 PSI and another 16 shots. And you being a pistol shooter, it may tickle your fancy to use it so. It will kill squirrels out to 35 yards very well and I sometimes push it to 50. Especially if it is a particularly obnoxious ground squirrel. You would need a scope. I use a Vector Veyron. It is light and small. But. I use my gun in the carbine version. A pistol scope would be better if you use it as a pistol

PS all ground squirrels are obnoxious

I haven't checked prices and in fact lately they seem to change daily.

But, I would bet you could get all the above at 700.00 or less.

I have shot hundreds of grey squirrels over the past two years. I have a Hatsan Flashpup .25 and shoot them out to about 60 yards max with JSB Hades. The .25 stops them in their tracks, like getting hit by a train. It’s a ongoing battle with them but I have reduced the population to where I don’t see some for weeks until they move in from other areas, just got to keep up the fight.