Best gun and ammo for squirrel hunting

I have a huge squirrel population and looking to humanely harvest them with an air rifle. I have a old .177 but it doesn't have a scope mount and I don't like just wounding animals. What would be a good option, and accept a scope, that would provide more power and a better hunting pellet to help assure a clean one-shot kill? Is the .25 hollow point a good choice?

There’s plenty of rifles that would be great for taking squirrels, it comes down to your budget, if you want a PCP or a springer, repeater or single shot, something compact or full size rifle? .177 is sufficient for squirrels (provided with enough fpe), but I prefer .22. My go to pellet for hunting are Hades. I find them to be extremely accurate and they have pretty good expansion for a humane kill.

I use a Leshiy and a marauder pistol for all of my squirrel hunting. I like their compact nature for my backpack.

I have a huge squirrel population and looking to humanely harvest them with an air rifle. I have a old .177 but it doesn't have a scope mount and I don't like just wounding animals. What would be a good option, and accept a scope, that would provide more power and a better hunting pellet to help assure a clean one-shot kill? Is the .25 hollow point a good choice?

@Johnny2022 “Best” is subjective and means something different to different people as we tend to like and value things differently. As for the meat of your question, it has been asked many times over on AGN. As a result, we have several threads containing a bevy of suggestions. I suggest searching the “Hunting” forum and typing “squirrel” as a keyword. If you don’t know how to use the AGN search feature send me a PM and I’ll attempt to walk you through it. 

Personally I use a .25 PCP, but I think a .22 would work just fine. Others may opt to use a .177 with good results. The main factor regarding a clean kill is shot placement once you’ve established that your gun has enough power to penetrate into the vital organs of the animal. You and your gun need to shoot accurately. As for ammo and gun suggestions that would depend on factors like your budget, the environment you’re shooting in (suburban neighborhood, rural area, etc), and if you will actually be hunting them (e.g. walking around looking for squirrels carrying the rifle on your shoulder or in hand) or pesting (e.g. sitting stationary in your yard in front of a bait station waiting to shoot squirrels). You ability to adjust a more expensive air gun is also a factor in suggesting ammo as different pellets can perform differently at various speeds shot from certain guns. If you don’t have or don’t wish to purchase a hand pump, SCBA tank, or compressor I suggest consider looking into purchasing a break barrel or gas-ram air rifle (springers). This is where using the AGN search feature and an outside search engine are highly beneficial. 

Here are a few past threads to get you started. 
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/air-gun-reccomendations/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/finally-have-some-cash/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/looking-for-a-good-accurate-but-quiet-air-rifle-for-hunting-squirrel-and-rabbit/

This thread deals more specifically with distance and ammo in .22 - .25 caliber https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/22cal-25cal-squirrel-hunting-question/

Good luck in your search. 

Thanks for all you replies. I have a break action .177 and it is accurate but I can't put a scope on it and my eyes aint what they used to be with open sights. I've killed squirrels with it in the past and understand the need for a clean kill shot which is why I'm looking to invest in a new gun with scope mount. I'm not planning on hunting/trekking as I live in the country and have dozens of squirrels around my house...and my garden [which is the only reason I will harvest them FYI]. I like the idea of a more modern gun like the PCP, especially if I can charge with a hand pump. I also believe the PCP will provide the best FPS? is that true? I also like the .25 cal. just because of the more energy it would deliver. With that in mind what would be good options to consider? I have a scope I believe would work and don't really have a budget for the gun but usually go higher end, whatever that means? Just looking for the best quality and durability and hopefully I can afford it. Does that help in providing suggestions on the gun and ammo? Thank you!

What Dave (Ezana4CE) said. There IS NO BEST! Can you shoot dime sized groups @ 25 yds or quarter sized @ 50 yds? If not, then no GUN is going to help that situation. A person has to build a certain amount of acumen in shooting. These "BEST" questions come up almost daily but hardly any of the question posers speak to their own shooting abilities. I learned on a $479 pcp. I learned to get the most I could get out of myself & that gun & when I moved to higher tier equipment I had the confidence I could be a one shot, one kill shooter. This is an activity that has a large learning curve, a large number of differing opinions, a large number of equipment options, etc,etc,ad nauseam! We could list many different types of weapon/ammo combinations that will do what you're asking but what are YOU capable of with ANY gun/ammo combination? THAT would be the main, deciding factor! Good luck in your search. 

@Gerry52 thank you for you response, just a little background in case it helps others with a recommendation or two....I am pretty skilled at firearms and marksmanship and have been shooting for 40 years, I'm also a past NRA instructor for pistol marksmanship so I understand the finer points of firearms and shooting accurately. However, I am a newbie when it comes to modern air rifles and was just hoping for a suggestion or two on where to look for a high quality squirrel gun - ideally made in the USA if that exists. Thanks again!

Thanks for clearing that up! 5 or so years ago the "natural progression" in PCP's for many of us started with a Benjamin Marauder. American made, accurate, quiet & efficient. I, personally, never cared all that much for mine. There was a "barrel lottery" at the time. Some had great barrels, some not. Guess I received a NOT. These days I hear that the barrel thing was remedied. As far as ammo, I've been using .25 JSB Hades because my Royale 500 shoots them more accurately than any other pellet I've tried. Don't think I've ever had a pass through in 3 years with that particular combo. Don't know how they shoot out of a Marauder. With PCP's air supply is a necessity & added cost. It just takes a lot of research, question asking & personal preferences balancing to make a satisfactory decision. Again, good luck with your QUEST!

Squirrel hunting is fun, but to be honest, if you get one of these you'll be surprised. You might think you have 3 or 4 squirrels, but will soon discover that you have killed 25 squirrels.

squirrelTrap.1647621626.jpg

I picked up one of these and was shocked to get 18 squirrels in a short period of time when I thought I only had two. I still have 3-4 squirrels that seem to have figured out its a trap, so I plan to pick those off with a .25 FX Crown using 25.39 grain pellets.

@johnny2022

I'm not planning on hunting/trekking as I live in the country and have dozens of squirrels around my house…and my garden [which is the only reason I will harvest them FYI].

If you're trying to thin the "garden interlopers", it would probably be easier to set up a station that positions the squirrels in a good shooting lane from your porch, door or window. If you try to get them while they're in the garden, you'll be fighting a losing battle. The bait station trains them to look for the easy food first and positions them for a humane exit from their garden raiding.

I use this to keep ground squirrels away from our flowering plants...they go to the easy food in the "squirrel corral" VS grazing on the harder to reach flowers, buds, etc..

Squirrel Corral.1647622141.jpg

The squirrels like to face danger, so they instinctively position themselves between the back block and feed tray. Setting themselves up for the perfect exit shot.

There was a AEAC thread a while ago for an AirMaks product. A light-weight folding Katran "C" in .22 or .25 would fit your airgun criteria...

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/win-an-airmaks-arms-22-katran-compact-pcp-and-more/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/agn-aeac-share-n-compare-rdw-of-the-airmaks-arms-katran/?view=all&referrer=1

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/watch-discuss-the-airmaks-arms-katran-compact-and-more/?referrer=1

Hand pumping is extremely difficult. Let me repeat that, it is extremely arduous. I tried doing it when I was in my early 40s, in great shape. 

Unless you’re going to only use it to shoot squirrels, you are not going to want to hand pump. If you do decide to go with a hand pump anyway, do it with a Benjamin disco. At least it’s low pressure relatively speaking.

if you buy a inexpensive used PCP and tank, which would require filling at a scuba shop, you might be able to find a combo package for less than 1000.

Or you could buy yourself a nice break barrel, a 22 caliber. An HW95 sounds about right. I would suggest not getting a super magnum, as they can be somewhat difficult to shoot.

With your shooting background, you will have no trouble mastering it.

There are a lot of spring Piston choices

mike

Any quality air rifle shooting around 15 ft lb or better in 177, maybe 18 or 20 ft lb in 22, and perhaps 22 to 25 foot pounds in 25 will be more than adequate for taking squirrels out to about 50 yards if you can hold a group the size of a silver dollar at that distance but you probably knew all of that.

A Springer that pushes an average weight pellet around 850 ft per second is really what I have described above.

I've had a number of pcps over the years I don't pick them up when I'm going out to shoot. I don't shoot them for fun. I do hunt with them if I'm after a groundhog or if I just feel like having an extremely accurate little 177 that will take squirrels out to 50 yards. When I go out to my bench to shoot 9 out of 10 times I pick up a Springer.

Look at good quality Springer's first they'll make you smile they won't break the bank and you don't have to carry 40 lb of extra crap when you go to the woods.

A high quality springer is going to be better than a budget PCP. Hand pumping a PCP is a losing proposition. Spend more time pumping AND letting the pump rest than shooting.

HW95 in .177 or .22 is more than capable of dispatching squirrels. Heirloom quality with the best trigger on the market. A good scope will set you back $200 - $400 and are worth every penny. Baracuda Match pellets in either caliber. Can easily make dime sized groups at 35 yards if the shooter does his part.

I have 3 pcps, all have killed squirrels. My first was a Benjamin Marauder pistol. It is 22 caliber and came tuned to about 13 fpe. I turned this up after loosing a couple. The only one I lost after a retune to about 17 fpe fell in a rotted area at the base of the tree I knocked it off of with a head shot. It's total count is 15 so far. I hand pumped it and if it was my only gun I probably still would. Typical refill is about 30 pumps.

My next was a Air Venturi Avenger in 25. I've only shot 2 squirrels with it mainly because it's noisy for use in my back yard and I can't use a 25 on the state game lands where I live. But it dropped those squirrels quickly with body shots. I put a second pellet in one because it was still moving (but not running). My avenger is tuned to 48 fpe.

My latest is a Snow Peak P35, also in 25. It has killed the most, 17 so far. It is very quiet. I haven't lost any squirrels with it. I hit most in the head but have dropped several with body shots. Only three did not exit. One was hit in both front shoulders. Two where hit in the front with a shot angling through the body. All the pellets stopped under the hide near a back leg. It is tuned to about 32 fpe.

I hand pumped the Avenger at first but it took around 200 pumps to refill it and I did not enjoy that. So I bought a compressor and used SCBA tank.

I like my 25s but the ammo is more expensive than 22 and my 22 works fine. I think either is a good choice. You need a bit more energy to get equivalent penetration with larger calibers. I will get another 22 next and it will have at least 20 fpe. I wouldn't go below 25 fpe in a 25 and I like my P35 at 32 fpe. I don't know what it takes in 177 but 15 fpe is probably enough.

I only use simple domed pellets. If you use an expanding pellet you need more power or you may not have enough penetration. If you place it right, a 22 caliber hole will drop a squirrel very quickly. 25 a little quicker. I don't remember how far they moved with the Prod but with the P35 the furthest any of the 17 moved after being hit was about 15 feet. Most just dropped. Most of the Prods just dropped too. Brain and neck are the best for no running but if you hit the front half of the body solidly with enough penetration my experience is they won't go far. Another advantage of brain/neck shots is you don't damage any meat. Squirrels are pretty tasty.

thank you all again. especially a few that specifically mentioned ammo and gun type. soI'm not enamored with the hand pump of 200 or more pumps and since I'm hunting around my house a compressor is not a problem. But moving from a hand pump to compressor doesn't really change the gun recommendation does it?

still looking for the best [opinion] .25 caliber squirrel gun that will accept a scope. audible is also a factor, how loud are these ?

Here is what i have heard so far are, any votes on their fav with regards to quality, reliability and where are the made?

Benjamin Marauder

Umarex Gauntlet

Air Venture Avenger

Snow Peak P35

Of these 4 you listed, only the Maurader is from an American company (Benjamin).

Again, if you could chime in with your budget, a many member can list exactly what you need, from gun, scope, compressor to ammo.

As far as noise is concerned, generally speaking, the smaller the caliber, the less noise it makes, because it needs less air to push the round. But many manufacturers design their airguns with an integrated shroud which reduces the report some.

In addition to integrated shrouds, there are several companies that make airgun specific suppressors that don't need a tax stamp, certification, or anything like that.

You can my Benjamin Bulldog .357 with a DonnyFL Ronin suppressors add on in the photo below. I do not recommend this for squirrel hunting, as a 180 fpe airgun is, let's just say, a tad excessive! 😉

20211014_180745.1647677418.jpg