Best FX Slug Caliber for long range Hybrid or Slug Insert ?

It all depend on the gun your using and the bullet being fired.

If your talking about any of the FX brand, roughly .44 is about the longest you can shoot through your mag without any complication with it rotating.

You can't beat the NSA, for the price and quality you are getting.

Without putting a lot of strain on your gun or regulator, you need the best BC and less weight to balance the shot count.

I've bought so much from NSA that I'd decided to just make my own slugs for my Impacts.

The best BC and weight that I've came up to make was a .217cal Hybrid slug that weights 31grains and is .43" long. A slug that long for a .22cal would be roughly 35-36grains HP if it was not a hybrid style.

I've estimated the BC to be roughly .105-.11 BC, NSA has their at 31.2 grain at .095 but it's shorter than the ones I've been making.

I think that max length really helps out on the BC. 

My reg is only 142 bars and roughly getting 980fps and about 66FPE with great results. Nothing over powering or straining the gun.

Bumping the reg to 165-170 could get me in the 75FPE but not worth the shot count.

I hope FX come out with a shorter rear block and deeper mags to be able to make longer slugs without single loading them.

Maybe that will be on the next Impact M4. LOL

It all depend on the gun your using and the bullet being fired.

If your talking about any of the FX brand, roughly .44 is about the longest you can shoot through your mag without any complication with it rotating.

You can't beat the NSA, for the price and quality you are getting.

Without putting a lot of strain on your gun or regulator, you need the best BC and less weight to balance the shot count.

I've bought so much from NSA that I'd decided to just make my own slugs for my Impacts.

The best BC and weight that I've came up to make was a .217cal Hybrid slug that weights 31grains and is .43" long. A slug that long for a .22cal would be roughly 35-36grains HP if it was not a hybrid style.

I've estimated the BC to be roughly .105-.11 BC, NSA has their at 31.2 grain at .095 but it's shorter than the ones I've been making.

I think that max length really helps out on the BC. 

My reg is only 142 bars and roughly getting 980fps and about 66FPE with great results. Nothing over powering or straining the gun.

Bumping the reg to 165-170 could get me in the 75FPE but not worth the shot count.

I hope FX come out with a shorter rear block and deeper mags to be able to make longer slugs without single loading them.

Maybe that will be on the next Impact M4. LOL

ahh thanks for sharing........

Sorry guys, forgot to post some pics.

Made some slugs, even hybrid slugs with boat tail.

The hybrids look like a hollow pipe, then they are shaped to a smaller point shape tip.
20211103_193036.1637206168.jpg
20211106_112821_resized 1.1637206252.jpg
20211106_112321_resized 2.1637206294.jpg
20211106_112414_resized 1.1637206354.jpg

Reactions: JungleShooter
They shot great, groups under 1/2" at 50yds. 
At 100yds 1"-1 1/2" groups, they seem to have more flyers than the NSA slugs. Maybe I just need to slow down and make them and sort out any slugs that are .02+/- or more grains different. I've never bought any FX Hybrid slugs, so there's no way for me to compare to them. Reading some comments about the FX Hybrids say they have more flyers than pellets and slugs.

All I know is that I can make 500.00 worth of FX Hybrid for about 50.00 of lead. I can afford to have flyers now and then, I can live with those numbers.

Plus, I can change them up and make different weights with the slugs. The bad part is the research in trying them out to determined the BC. Every time I change the weight or length, the BC changes.

I'll keep all post on progress.

Thanks,

Reactions: N2 Shooter
They shot great, groups under 1/2" at 50yds. 
At 100yds 1"-1 1/2" groups, they seem to have more flyers than the NSA slugs. Maybe I just need to slow down and make them and sort out any slugs that are .02+/- or more grains different. I've never bought any FX Hybrid slugs, so there's no way for me to compare to them. Reading some comments about the FX Hybrids say they have more flyers than pellets and slugs.

All I know is that I can make 500.00 worth of FX Hybrid for about 50.00 of lead. I can afford to have flyers now and then, I can live with those numbers.

Plus, I can change them up and make different weights with the slugs. The bad part is the research in trying them out to determined the BC. Every time I change the weight or length, the BC changes.

I'll keep all post on progress.

Thanks,

Keep us posted, the boat tail slugs could have fantastic BC. 

This is a great thread.

I'm researching, to choose my first pcp, and would really like to be a slug guy.
I would go with the Avenger PCP.
They are a great budget gun that will not break the bank and shoots pellets great and slugs good.
It won't be an Impact or anything like that, but for the $$$ it's a great gun, for 3-400.00 used/new is way better than 2K+ for an Impact.

The Avenger is 400.00, 4500psi pump 300.00 (do not go with a hand pump), 350.00 Arken scope, and whatever pellet or slugs you want to shoot.
This gun will be good for about 100yards 1–2-inch group comfortably but can reach out 200yards with 6–10-inch group pattern and gets worse the further out you go.
You can cut that in half if you shoot slugs vs pellets out pass 100 yards but pellets kind of beat the slugs under 75yards FYI.
If most of your target is around the 75yard mark, go with pellets but if you would like to stretch out further then slugs are the new thing.

Honestly, you're looking at about 1k to even get started and it goes up from there.

Reactions: Shooting Targets
Got the 700mm Panthera in. 22 few weeks back Give a shout out to Casey and Kao with their new online store as an FX dealer for getting me this........ Of course had to make some new hybrid slugs to shoot out of it.
I'm not sure if this is a fluke or math is wrong but I've made some flat base 38.58gn hybrid slugs while zero it in at 50yds and then out to 180yds....they came up to a BC of .145. I would have thought it would be around .11 or .12 but it surprised me.
Shot 4 mags to confirm that they were hiting and grouping excellent.
On my Titian with scope height of 2.3 inches and weight of 38.58 with length of .48 inch and speed of 950fps, that gave me 73 clicks and it was spot on.
I also made some 40gn boat tail hybrids and they were shooting even better but I've got to redesign the whole thing.
After I made them and put them in the mag and ejected them all by hand they rotated like they should.
When I went back to test them, they would not rotate properly.
I'd made them .525 inch and they were binding.
I guess I'll make them shorter and lighter.
I was shooting for a 40gn BT hybrid slug and the length are just too long.
I guess I'll make them .50 inch and see where the weight comes in at.

I'll keep you all posted.