"Best Fittings" issue

Soooo, a week or two I had one of these fittings blow apart, and today I'm having another issue.

Air no longer comes through it. I dont think you can see it, but there appears to be a flat head screw visible when I look down the end that attaches to my hose.

I'm thinking it's some sort of flow restricter gizmo, but after I had one of these things nearly kill me I'm a little nervous.

1565551964_21391751625d506d5cdcc753.97124088_20190811_142522.jpg
1565551980_5745286915d506d6c4e1232.62000619_20190811_142543.jpg

It's a flow restrictor yes!

1) What has happened to the last couple of threads on the fitting? are you sure you aren't mixing NPT/BSPT by mistake?

2) How on earth did it blow apart? what blew apart exactly?

3) The flow restrictor can be removed and the fitting safely used as long as you open the valve very slowly!

4) Did you buy the fitting seperately or did it come with a Daystate or Brocock rifle?

I bought one and it broke while assembling . It’s the last time I’m going to mess with brass and high pressure fill fittings . Sure brass is good in some applications , but not for a threaded union with 4500psi behind it . Unfortunately this piece of kit is the only one on the market that I’m aware of that eliminates having to use pliers to get off the Impact . 

Wow, that is not good. Very lucky you were not injured. What did Best Fittings have to say about it? I have been using their QC02 quick disconnects and hoses for the last 2 years and have not had any problems with them so far. The fitting should have come with a small card stapled to the bag that explains the function of the restrictor and how to remove it. The restrictor screw is in there to slow down the airflow when filling your gun from a high pressure cylinder not equipped with a valve that limits outflow - and it works well in that regard. If you are using this fitting on a hose used to fill your cylinder, I would not leave the restrictor screw in the fitting. It will make your compressor work much harder to fill the cylinder and the fill will take longer.

I use separate hoses/fittings for filling cylinders vs. guns. For filling my cylinders from my compressor, I use a hose with a 3mm bore and QC02 fittings with the restrictors removed (they unscrew counter clockwise with a small screwdriver). This allows for a good unrestricted airflow from compressor to cylinder. For filling my guns from the cylinder, I use a short 2mm bore hose with the QC02 restrictor installed, which makes it easy to regulate the fill pressure and minimizes air loss.

The caveat to above is that all these fittings have been the standard size, not the extended socket version, though they are the same brass and S/S construction. I recently purchased the Best Fittings extended socket version to use on my gun fill hose. That hose does not see more than 220 BAR, but I will be watching very carefully.

As Skpetic says the flow restrictor is used to slow fill, it should be removed when used on a compressor as a fill line, I probably have 20 of these extended type in use at once and have never had an issue even at 330 bar.

I have seeen user error though, i.e. not checking the bearings in the collar are 100% snapped over the rebate, this can definitely cause the fitting to fail, even a grain of grit in there will prevent 100% lockup, not saying this is what you did, just saying.

You might want to consider having the messed up threads re-tapped so that they are good again. I also would not use brass, only stainless steel adapters and quick connectors at those pressures.

Brancota (Airtanksforsale) rules as suggested in another answer.

mike

With all due respect 6000PSI regulators use brass, the material if good quality is of no consequence, incorrect use or initial fitting/thread type is much more important.

Some of the new best fittings Forster QC have longer threaded sections, they also do NPT which is a standard USA thread and can be confused with BSPT, the connection can be too tight and not bottom out effectively.

I find it strange only the first threads are gone. To me that seems like only the first threads have been in use, or that the probe has not been screwed all the way in. I would check that the hose you use, actually do fit the probe, and has enough threads to interlink with on the probe. The same thing might happen again if the hose connection does not fit properly.

I find it strange only the first threads are gone. To me that seems like only the first threads have been in use, or that the probe has not been screwed all the way in. I would check that the hose you use, actually do fit the probe, and has enough threads to interlink with on the probe. The same thing might happen again if the hose connection does not fit properly.

The fitting actually screws into f/f barrel. The hose screws into the other end. The fitting tightens down to the nut.

"With all due respect 6000PSI regulators use brass, the material if good quality is of no consequence, incorrect use or initial fitting/thread type is much more important."

You are correct in the fact that regulators are indeed made of quality brass. I might clarify that it is much easier to miss thread brass (losing threads) than it is stainless steel. Especially if the female threads are steel or stainless steel, brass threads are no match for that sort of miss-threading.

"With all due respect 6000PSI regulators use brass, the material if good quality is of no consequence, incorrect use or initial fitting/thread type is much more important."

You are correct in the fact that regulators are indeed made of quality brass. I might clarify that it is much easier to miss thread brass (losing threads) than it is stainless steel. Especially if the female threads are steel or stainless steel, brass threads are no match for that sort of miss-threading.

Agree. I'll stick with SS for my HPA fittings. And also buy the best quality I can find.