• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best FFP Scopes under $550 “retail” for NRL

I’ve recently started shooting NRL with a 22 rimfire (a Tikka) and with a .22 Uragan for airgun. 

I want to shoot base class for rimfire which requires that gun and scope cost less that $1,050 retail in 2022. The Tikka and the CZ 457 have models in the $500-600 which leaves $400-$550 (for 2022 retail) for an FFP scope with a good reticle. 

Question: What FFP scope would you recommend that clicks, has good optics and a good reticle in this retail range? ( most shooting is done from 10-14x)

Athlon, has good options, and Bushnell sells a scope specifically designed for NRL but they are sold out.

What do you suggest?

The Vector Taurus is decent 4-24x50 FFP especially if you Don't use it on low magnification 4x - 9x so essentially a 10x to 24x useable scope. It was recently on sale for $179 from DVOR. This one got a LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Too bad you can't just practice with the Alpha6 at a set power level and just hold over from real world shooting conditions as to be a more proficient marksman rather than relying on computer aided ballistic programs.

I'll attach my two Scope Specs Tables, with prices.

Requirements to make it onto the Table are:

▪Holdoff reticle (with evenly spaced hashlines, no BDC)

▪Exposed turrets

▪10y min. side parallax

▪Prices just around $500 or less

▪Separated in FFP and SFP. The FFP reticles are marked which ones have thick outside posts to assist the eye in aiming at low magnification.

One table covers 4-16x / 3-18x.

The other table covers 6-24x / 5-20x / 5-30x / 4-24x.

Hope you'll find something good. 👍🏼

Matthias

Attachments:

❌ Scope Specs Table: 4-16x / 3-18x

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For 4-14x 3-18x, 4-16x Magnification. 078. 2021-02.1617321538.pdf

❌ Scope Specs Table: 6-24x / 5-20x / 5-30x / 4-24x

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For 6-24x, 5-20-x, 6-20x Scopes. 122. 2021-03.1617321558.pdf

I’ve shot hold over and used reticles set on a particular powers for years on ground squirrels and starlings. 

As I’ve pushed my shooting distances out to extended ranges... I’ve found that clicking is vastly superior and nearly as fast... an enormous improvement.

I can’t imagine I’ll ever go back for long range shooting.

Hearkens,

I try to make myself shoot with holdovers, but I end up dialing the scope most of the time....

And just like you say — for longer ranges elevation turret dialing seems better:

(1) In ChairGun I calculate my preferred point blank range (PBR), putting the far zero at a range that will give me a large PBR.

➔ So, for all the critters within my PBR I just center the crosshairs on their kill zone.

(2) For the longer range shots the critters usually give me more time — since they don't think I'm too close to be dangerous.

So, I got extra time to dial my turret....

And...: I won't have to fool with centering a piece of "nothing" of my reticle on the killzone.

(Sure, with a grid style reticle, I'd get a little "something" to place on the KZ.)

(3) I've been scheming to 3D-print turret bonnets with the range markings on them — that I can switch out in seconds if I change the pellet or power setting.

This will cut out the look-at-the-dope-card step. 

Falcon and Discovery have several models that have 6 indentations in their turrets where the turret bonnets could be ankered securely.

(4) I still prefer to have scopes with holdoff reticles — to be able to use windage holdoffs, as wind can change rapidly — range not so much, unless I have a moving target, of course....

And for the occasional holdover shot.

Matthias

Mathias

funny how so many of us wind up with the same conclusions... I agree with all that you said.

I would LOVE to get a 3D turret attachment that slipped over the existing turret. Great idea. 

During the winter I hunt starlings indoor at night (it is lit to promote milk production) in two barns that are 460 hards long each. The barns sometimes have 100,000 plus birds in them that keep moving further away as we shoot. They seem to feel safest when there’s at least 70 yards between me and them. We hunt with 177’s so as not to damage the roof, 

which makes for challenging shooting when most shots are. 70-100 yards.

I use a Bushnell 6500 with 2.5-16 Tactical scope (big turrets and great optics) and noticed that my kill ratio jumped at least 30% when I converted fully to clicking. 

982AC5AD-53D1-436E-915F-8D4D6847327D.1617466443.jpeg