Best feed for squirrel feeder?

A cheap bird seed mix. One that includes corn, peanuts, sun flower seeds and milo. They will be all over it.

bird seeds with sunflower seeds and peanuts would be best because the squirrel will see the birds and raid the feeder. Birds pretty much ring the dinner bell for the squirrels. But bird seeds will germinate and create a lot of weed if that’s a concern, I got so tired of weeding I buy expensive no waste bird feed. I don’t feed birds that much at my one bird feeder.

I'm in Virginia. Whats an economical feed for refilling my squirrel feeder?
Plain old ear corn. There's not a squirrel in the USA that won't travel a 1/4 mile to get an ear of corn ! Years ago in a deer stand , I watched a squirrel come and go past me with ear corn that came from our field several hundred yards away. Just this week I found a clean corn cob on our deck, probably set out by a neighbor ( :mad:) for feed . I'm miles away from a farm here. If you are anywhere close to a farm, check a harvested field ( w/ permission of course) for left over /missed corn . Gather a few grocery bags worth & get some exercise in . Oh , I just watched a squirrel hop past on the patio carrying a walnut ( from 3 blocks away ) and it's going to end up planting it in my yard or bed somewhere !

Reactions: aaroncr
If you can locate harvested corn fields and get permission to walk them, you will likely be able to find all the feed you need laying on the ground - missed or "kicked out" by the corn harvesting combine. The local farmer in my area allows me to walk his fields and pick up any stalks/cobs the machine leaves.... and it is amazing how much the combine misses! And the price is right (y) ;)

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Whole kernel corn sold as “deer corn” is the best bang for the buck. Three years ago It was just $7 for a 50lb bag. It’s $12 or so now but still the most economical option.

No question they prefer black oil sunflower seeds over corn or birdseed blends but once the cold weather arrives and natural food sources start becoming more scarce, they flock to corn.

Reactions: aaroncr
bird seeds with sunflower seeds and peanuts would be best because the squirrel will see the birds and raid the feeder. Birds pretty much ring the dinner bell for the squirrels. But bird seeds will germinate and create a lot of weed if that’s a concern…
@qball This has to be thee most California post I’ve read on AGN. Which company is putting pot seeds in their bird feed? Asking for a friend. 😎

That feed really ought to make for an interesting addition to the ecosystem. First the birds come, then the squirrels. Next the stoners….

If they find it and then get shot .... your really not attracting so much as squirrels are just happening upon a food source :rolleyes:
multiple Squirrels fight over who is on the bird feeders here in southern KY from sun-up till dark . general bird feed type seed .

If i hang the feeders up empty the squirrels check it out daily .

@qball This has to be thee most California post I’ve read on AGN. Which company is putting pot seeds in their bird feed? Asking for a friend. 😎

That feed really ought to make for an interesting addition to the ecosystem. First the birds come, then the squirrels. Next the stoners….

Ok weeds as in the weeds I need to pull from my yard, NOT the kind people smokes for recreational purposes. LOL

As being in California even black sunflower seeds are not cheap from the local feed store. OP asked for cheap option, crushed corn will draw the bird in which will draw the squirrels in but corn and other small seeds may not keep them there for nearly as long as sunflower seeds and peanuts. However if there are no other food sources around corn will keep them there just fine.

Last edited:
I am in Texas a 10 lb sack of bird feed is about 25 $$ , I feed my squirrels Chicken scratch 50 lb bag is about 18 bucks 20 at the most, The few squirrels in my area are my pets, I have tried for many years to get the population up, Not sure if its birds of pray, cats or someone shooting them,
Mike
Maybe it's the food your offering is keeping them away! Lol