• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Entry PCP

Good morning everyone. Just joined this morning. I have always been into air rifles since I was little. First one ever was daisy red. I have a break barrel now that I just don’t enjoy shooting. To much recoil to keep good groups. .22 cal gamo raptor whisper. So would like to enter the pcp world and what is the best entry point? I love the look of the flash pups but are they worth it? Have heard people have problems shooting from the shoulder. Also would like it to be something won’t have a problem hand pumping as the compressors are just way out of budget. 

Gamo Urban, it's a BSA Buccaneer in disguise, and it's made in England. Using an Hill MK3 hand pump it was exactly 71 pumps to 232 bar from ~150 bar. Wonderful little rifle for the money and exceptionally accurarte with Crosman CPD/CPH. Cut the barrel band off and let the hammer-forged barrel float; it avoids POI issues.

I think you'll be very happy with the Gamo Urban and if you evolve into the higher priced model PCPs you'll still find the Urban quite useful and a good fun even when greeted by the more expensive PCPs.

Both are excellent suggestions. It's been a while, so bear with me, but I recall the Urban in .22 would shoot 14.3gr CPDs at around 830-840 FPS. I recall the P-Rod is the same but around 650 FPS. So if range is a factor I believe the Urban would be a better choice than the P-Rod. That said, both are fine PCPs, and you cannot go wrong with either. My Urban had no issues reaching out 55 yards with 14.3gr CPHPs.

You're lucky/unlucky to be getting into PCP's now, depending on one's perspective. When I got into it about 6 years ago there were very few options. For MOST people I'd read about the natural progression was a Benjamin Discovery as a 1st pcp, then onto a Benjamin Marauder. After that level, one had a few more options available. Nowadays almost everyone's tastes can be accommodated. It's great to have so much information & so many options available but it can be overwhelming. Sounds like your tastes run more to the compact, bullpup type & not traditional rifle styling. I've shot but never owned bullpup & in general, hold no interest for me. Keep doing what you're doing. Ask questions & do research into not only how accurate the guns you're interested in are but also how reliable, how easily fixable, how easy to get parts, how well the manufacturer stands behind & supports them, etc.,etc,etc. Glad things were simpler for me but I envy the amount of options you have. Good luck with your quest!

I bought a Marauder Pisol as my second PCP. First was the marauder. The marauder was heavy and is now gone. I still have the pistol. Along with a Brocock Compatto, FX Maverick and FX Wildcat. The one I will never part with is the pistol. I never shoot it down low enought that 40 strokes with the hand pump doesn't fill it up.

And 40 pumps is work. Get something in the 2900 psi range! 

The Air Venturi Avenger is regulated, and the regulator can be adjusted externally, has a side-lever action, adjustable hammer, pretty good trigger, and affordable magazines. No other entry-level gun competes with that feature set. You can also buy a moderator adapter and put a moderator on it to make it very quiet.

+1 great gun. 

I thank you all for your reply’s. Not sure if a big fan of the gamo. It’s not the most powerful rifle out there for the price. And I thought the marauder pistol could hit 700 to 800fps. It’s not like an gonna be shooting a mile away think max range could get out of my yard is 60yrds. But because of the field we have behind our house sometimes we get rats that come in. So like to have something hard hitting as well n pretty light. There is a budget. Have even thought about looking at used. But I really do like the look of a more compact rifle. That shoots great from shoulder.