• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

best engineered 100+ FPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Been looking at all the brands and models available. My head is spinning.

What is the best engineered, most reliable, lowest o-ring counts brands/models? Looking for models with 100+ FPE.

If you were prepping for an environment where no spare parts would be available, what brands/models would you choose? A second question: What is the best method for long term storage of o-rings?

Last edited:
Reactions: Miami Airgunner
Probably not the answer you want here, since I'm not going to recommend a specific gun or brand. However, I am going to share what I think is really solid advice from a guy who spent a fair bit of his life doing reliability work, so maybe I know a thing about some of this, at least on a good day...

IF *I* were prepping for an environment with no spare parts, I'd do what I do now, and keep a set (or two) of replacements for any parts that are even remotely likely failure points - ESPECIALLY true with my Edguns now that Russia's situation is what it is.

I would probably end up going one of two ways, either a pair of matched guns that are relatively easy to repair, with some spare parts, which would pretty much guarantee at least one operational gun, and would give you a cool setup where you can have two choices for different tasks (think different calibers, or barrel lengths, or, even just different optics) - or, I'd go with something that I'd owned for a while, had experience with, and trusted to continue to perform well. What I don't think I would do is to buy a single new gun and count on it without at least a few months of use.

The bathtub failure curve can really be a problem here - NO gun, no matter how simple, or expensive, is 100% reliable, and a vast number of failures will happen relatively soon after purchase - so, whatever you end up with, make sure you shoot the thing quite a bit before you go off relying on it without spare parts.

Reactions: JamesW1
Airforce seems to have the least amount of moving parts to fail.

There is no air rifle that fits the bill that will not need parts down the road.

I vote airforce
Sidelever multishot mag is just more parts to wear out.

My at44 .22 cal has see over 15,000 shots and has yet to fail.
As mentioned pick a gun.
Stock up on spares

Reactions: JamesW1
Probably not the answer you want here, since I'm not going to recommend a specific gun or brand. However, I am going to share what I think is really solid advice from a guy who spent a fair bit of his life doing reliability work, so maybe I know a thing about some of this, at least on a good day...

IF *I* were prepping for an environment with no spare parts, I'd do what I do now, and keep a set (or two) of replacements for any parts that are even remotely likely failure points - ESPECIALLY true with my Edguns now that Russia's situation is what it is.

I would probably end up going one of two ways, either a pair of matched guns that are relatively easy to repair, with some spare parts, which would pretty much guarantee at least one operational gun, and would give you a cool setup where you can have two choices for different tasks (think different calibers, or barrel lengths, or, even just different optics) - or, I'd go with something that I'd owned for a while, had experience with, and trusted to continue to perform well. What I don't think I would do is to buy a single new gun and count on it without at least a few months of use.

The bathtub failure curve can really be a problem here - NO gun, no matter how simple, or expensive, is 100% reliable, and a vast number of failures will happen relatively soon after purchase - so, whatever you end up with, make sure you shoot the thing quite a bit before you go off relying on it without spare parts.

I very much appreciate the advice from all corners.

Have bought a few PCP's last month and I gotta tell you, the Avenger, recommended by a airgunnation member, is one of the most fun PCP's I've ever had. Bar none. I love it. But hey, I'm no expert. And it's *not* high power. Just tryin' to get my ducks in a row. I wish Air Venturi made a .45 or .50.

Any idea how to preserve o-rings for long term storage?

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
That works only until .22 lr dry up. Or until an unfriendly regime puts armed troops at your door.

Long term, if you can cast your lead and pump your tank, you've got a small advantage.

With that as a goal in mind, I'd say buy up four matched cheaper guns, something like AEA, and a few spare parts, two compressors, and a hand pump - as well as a mold and a small pallet of tins of pellets.

You'll be set, literally, for life, as with 4 rifles, you'd have to just have terrible luck to go through all the spare parts - and all for the price of one REALLY fancy pants rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.