Best Desiccant ?

I have hearing aids. With them came a jar of dessicant balls (beads for drying)with blue balls interspersed (I can imagine all the lewd thoughts going through your warped little minds :ROFLMAO: 🤪 ). They were on hand so I tried em. Work GREAT.
(The blue beads/balls lose color when saturated)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ezana4CE and rodm1
I've used 'dry & dry' silica and 13X MOLECULAR SIEVE half and half with the indicator silica on the bottom separated by a fiber disc. I change both when the color in the silica stack changes color about 1/2 way (20 hours of compressor time at my location). Nope I don't dry it not worth my time +effort, just toss it and add new. I use a condolessing stage before the stage with the desiccant.

Folks, I am still setting up the drying aspect of HPA off of my compressor. However my plan is still not finalized I have a centrifugal condenser as a 1st stage, but want to add a drying filter between it and my Daystate rifle. Whichever I actually choose silica beads or molecular sieve beads or even a mix of both as has been suggested here, what device do you run your beads through? A tuxing gold filter or some other device that is safe for high pressure air and possibly clear to see the color change?
BP-1

Folks, I am still setting up the drying aspect of HPA off of my compressor. However my plan is still not finalized I have a centrifugal condenser as a 1st stage, but want to add a drying filter between it and my Daystate rifle. Whichever I actually choose silica beads or molecular sieve beads or even a mix of both as has been suggested here, what device do you run your beads through? A tuxing gold filter or some other device that is safe for high pressure air and possibly clear to see the color change?
BP-1
I think my thread was just hijacked ? LOL

This is the one I had on hand
Screenshot_20230813-082829_Chrome.jpg

my Coltri came with Molecular Sieve
those use 4A sieve right? same as the tuxing dual stage $200 filter i think

I'm actually researching it cause there's a risk of trapping nitrogen and concentrating oxygen which under pressure could be dangerous

OP from what i read the sieve can trap moisture faster and is more resistant to HPA than silica

i also ordered a $30 filter casing that I'm going to pack with sieve(4A and 13x)

as for drying temps being high I'd just use a convection oven or air fryer the forced air circulation should work

The OP asked "what is the best desiccant"? The answer depends on the application. Silica gel beads turn different colors after they are saturated. They work best at atmospheric and low pressure applications. They are often used in a filter placed between a first stage shop compressor to a Shoebox or Altaros booster compressor. Silica beads are sometimes used as saturation indicator beads in a high pressure filter. They should not be used in a high pressure compressor filter as a desiccant sieve substitute. Dessicant sieve adsorbs (sic) moisture efficiently at high pressure whereas silica gel absorbs moisture at any pressure. Most replacement filters for high pressure compressors use colored indicator strips instead of silica gel beads to show the level of moisture saturation in the filter media.

Filters3.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if you could reactivate molecular sieve with a torch...
NO. A torch would ruin the desiccant. It's the equivalent of burning down a barn to kill the rats. Sieve desiccants actually work under high pressure to collect water vapor by molecular attraction. It takes hours of 1000 degree indirect heat in a purpose-built oven to reverse the adhesion process and allow the desiccant sieve to release the water molecules which bond to the sieve under pressure. Direct contact with a torch flame would tun the sieve to burn ash. Sieve is usually replaced after it's saturated rather than recharged. Most high-end compressors use disposable filter cartridges containing desiccant sieve and activated charcoal.

Last edited:
Reactions: stephenst4470
What would you say the crystal size is? I'm wondering if crystal cat litter would work you can bake that at 250f for 3 hour to recharge crystal size is like under 1/8". Maybe mix in some blue balls for saturation level check.

The nice thing about molecular sieve is they are, for all practical purposes, round balls. And for all practical purposes dust free.
Kitty litter typical is a clay type product and its associated dust. I suppose it would absorb moisture but be sure to have filtration that is finer than the dust. Dust from kitty litter is abrasive.

The nice thing about molecular sieve is they are, for all practical purposes, round balls. And for all practical purposes dust free.
Kitty litter typical is a clay type product and its associated dust. I suppose it would absorb moisture but be sure to have filtration that is finer than the dust. Dust from kitty litter is abrasive.
He is referring to the silica crystal based cat litter...

Reactions: rodm1