• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best deer crushing .45 ammo(?)

Will do. Been meaning to talk to him! With as common as the Texan has become I'm surprised that there's still no consensus on what bullet(s) tend to group the tightest. 

Ive tried about 10 different bullets and 5 different balls in mine. The best bullet groups are about the same as the worst ball groups! I even cast a few hundred of the collar button bullets that were supposed to be the ticket and those were just "ok". I'll have to chronicle the whole thing in a separate post someday.

Wish me me luck finding that magic bullet that shoots as sweet as Hornady.457" balls and does it out to 100 yards.

Brian 

@Brian
It seems we have been on the same journey with the Texan. After several commercial bullets, and bullets we cast from different molds no magic bullet thus far. Just "OK" like you stated. Areo-Magnum is in the process of developing a bullet specifically for the Texan, but don't think Al has released it yet. If it's as good as his .357 Bulldog bullet then we will be in business. I think this is where Airforce could have done a better job in having developed a commercial bullet for sale or at least recommended for the Texan.

"moeboy1209"What about mr. Hollowpoint have u tried him? I know people have had success with his stuff as far as deer and bigger game goes. Plus he is big into the big bore stuff also check him out.
Yep. Bob is a cool guy (he's s from MI after all) Tried his 180gn HP's. Accuracy was good, but not like the .457" Hornady balls. They even out shoot the Speer .457" ball, but accuracy falls apart beyond 60-70 yards. I'd be ecstatic with a bullet that stays under 3" at 100 yards. Here's a 50 yard group (refilled after shot 3) Head shots all day at close range, but I wouldn't even risk a vitals shot at 80+ yards

Brian

I have a new swaged slug that is not released yet. I have sent it to one person who is an avid Texan shooter and has tested many rounds. I have sent him several slugs to test for me in the past and he has had good and bad to say about the various ones I have sent him. This latest slug that I made 300 grains he claims is the most accurate slug he shot in his Texan and he has tested a lot of molds (he also casts his own bullets).

This slug has a big hollow point cavity and because it is swaged I can make it any weight I want. I plan to test other weights in this design in my Texan. I like to send slugs out because my Texan is not stock and does 600+ fpe and I need to know what a stock Texan does with it. Send me a PM.