Best Compromise Springer

Over the years I have collected dozens of air rifles - springers, pumpers, CO2 and enjoy them all, but each has its benefits and shortcomings. I am not a hunter, but a woods walker and plinker. Over all, I will choose a springer when I go for an outing. My springer collection runs the gamut from lightweight guns such as the Winchester 427 and IZH 38 to heavy guns as the Beeman R9 and FWB 124. I like the light guns for a day out, but they lack the power I occasionally need, The heavy guns have power and accuracy, but are annoying after an hour of walking. 

Lately, I have been seeking the best compromise springer: light enough to carry all day, yet accurate and powerful enough for shooting pleasure. So far the best compromise I have found is a QB 25, but the caliber is still open.

Any opinions???

The BSA Lightning seemed a bit lighter to me than the R9, definitely more compact. I never held one of the synthetic stock versions, they may have been even lighter than the wood stocked model. However, good luck finding one of the UK versions as they are made in Spain by Gamo now (If I remember right) . The Supersports were also pretty light as I recall. For me the R9 ticks all the boxes as my all-around springer.

1573965715_4711897895dd0cf93b90814.90180359_1570479859_3250154185d9b9ef3456eb6.23478858_IMG_20...jpg
It's heavy. It's hard to cock. The pellets are expensive. Everyone tell you there's not enough fps. Mine Chronos at around 560 but hits like a truck at 50 yards. It my go to field gun when hunting. Buy a sling solves carrying it around all day, shoot off hand no scope because it will destroy a scope. And you will have a blast shooting it.

Hatsan 130 QE

Hatsan 135 .30

My personal choice would the ORIGINAL (not current) Weihrauch HW 50, or one of its relatives (Beeman R8, HW 55 target rifle, etc.). Beautifully made guns of superb balance and handling, just the right size and cocking effort for this old fellow at least. They can be tuned to around 700 FPS in .177.

Another great vintage choice is the Diana 35. Imagine your model 27 with 50 to 80 more FPS, and just a bit bigger. Like the old HW 50, lovely slim lines and balance.

At the next level up in power, look at the current “HW 50” (originally known as the HW 99, but re-named in an apparent effort to confuse collectors for eternity, LOL). About the same size and weight as the old one, harder to cock but an honest 800+ FPS.

The Cometa Fenix 400 or fusion is not to heavy and my .22 shoots with 18 fpe. The trigger is miles ahead of a Gamo or Crosman.

Xyon, how is that guns accurasy? And quality and so on? I have always wanted one, but somehow it is always another brand i buy...

Hi, The build quality is a step up from gamo and chinese air rifles for sure. The couple I have had have very nicely finished stocks. Being light for their power, they are a bit hold sensitive. The accuracy is reasonable but not quite as good as a Diana or Weihrauch.

The Cometa Fenix 400 or fusion is not to heavy and my .22 shoots with 18 fpe. The trigger is miles ahead of a Gamo or Crosman.

Xyon, how is that guns accurasy? And quality and so on? I have always wanted one, but somehow it is always another brand i buy...

Hi, The build quality is a step up from gamo and chinese air rifles for sure. The couple I have had have very nicely finished stocks. Being light for their power, they are a bit hold sensitive. The accuracy is reasonable but not quite as good as a Diana or Weihrauch.

Ok thanks for the info! 

I assume all the votes are in. I have researched all the guns suggested. Here is my analysis. R9: too heavy for a field gun. Hatsans: too heavy, although a 95 in .25 cal is attractive for a backyard gun as I like the thwack of a .25 pellet, and I have many .25 pellets left over from my brief romance with PCPs. BSAs are interesting, but darn close to unavailable. Cometas are also in the running, but hard to find.

One gun that looks very interesting, but not mentioned is the new Gamo Swarm Fusion 2nd generation. Weighs under six pounds, produces 18 fpe, has a gas ram which would allow one to carry the gun cocked, Has a composite stock which will take a beating better than wood in the woods. But, it is a bit long. However, online reviews gives me the impression that the gun is very pellet and hold sensitive. Pellet sensitivity can be worked out during the familiarization period, but hold sensitivity in a no no in the woods where quick shots are often needed.

I would make the HW 50 my choice for a woods gun.

Strange to me that a 7 lb FWB124 would be considered heavy. Carried mine many miles in the past. That's my personal favorite followed closely by my Bsa Superstar. Might be hard to come by but the 90s vintage Superstar and Lightning were designed to use the Theoben gas ram insert. Superstar comes in at 7 lb w factory spring and Lightning a bit less. Mine shoots right at 900 w 8.4s and is every bit as accurate as my TX or LGU. Fairly easy to cock as well.

Nice rifles if you ever come across one.

Also, I always have used peeps on my 124 and R1. Saved weight, better balance and was all I ever needed. Superstar got a Leup 3-9.

Bob

Just a small piece of advice, you don't want ANY part of a springer doing 18fpe that weights 6 pounds. It will shoot like whacking a fencepost with a metal pipe. Especially with a hollow plastic stock.

Lightweight, accurate, powerful. 

Pick two, but you can't have all three in a springer I'm afraid to say. 

A .177 HW50S with a small lightweight scope is about as good as you're going to be able to do. It has enough power for me to kill any squirrel in the woods. 

But you said you aren't a hunter, so what's the need for the big power?