Best compressor for the money

and you even comment your code lol!

i have read that starting these pumps under pressure can lead to failure pretty quickly. just something to double check if you did not purchase the warranty.

is there any danger in using these smaller pumps for tanks they were not initially built/recommended for? i.e. are they built to withstand the pressure of 74cuft at 4500 psi? or am i thinking about this incorrectly, and 4500 psi is 4500 psi to the parts in the compressor, regardless of the size of tank its filling pushing pressure back?

I haven't got the impression that starting the pump under pressure is a problem. The documentation for the pump doesn't say anything about it. The pump also seems to have a special startup protocol, when it realizes it is under pressure, i.e. the pump does not try to force, i.e. does not struggle. It slows down its startup cycle. 

If there's any problem using this small pump to fill up a big tank slowly in cycles, I suppose I'll discover it. Not exactly an expensive mistake, compared to the cost of a big compressor.

I haven't got the impression that starting the pump under pressure is a problem. The documentation for the pump doesn't say anything about it. The pump also seems to have a special startup protocol, when it realizes it is under pressure, i.e. the pump does not try to force, i.e. does not struggle. It slows down its startup cycle. 

If there's any problem using this small pump to fill up a big tank slowly in cycles, I suppose I'll discover it. Not exactly an expensive mistake, compared to the cost of a big compressor.

good points on what the manufacturer specifies. i was speaking from hearsay on people using other electric waterless compressors, and starting under pressure. the CS2 in particular seems to be designed for longer use, and pumps slower, so may not be an issue.

looking forward to seeing how this works out. this may be a game changer, and much more straight forward for me than dealing with a yong heng.

I went with this "GX compressor" off Amazon. It's about USD $380. It's air cooled.

What I've done is bought a big air tank. Rather than worrying about a compressor that can fill a tank rapidly, what I did is build a small Arduino circuit that turns the pump on and off, to give it enough cool-down cycles so that it never gets very warm. I leave the pump on for about 90 seconds, then have it off for about 5 minutes. After about 3-4 hours, my Air Venturi 74 cu.ft tank is full to 4500 psi. That's starting from empty. 

Screenshot from 2021-12-18 00-53-08.1639817735.png
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

This compressor is total trash. I had the same one and worked less than 10 times filling 350cc airtube. The compressor stopped holding pressure and PIA for the seller to honor the warranty. Amazon was understanding of my situation and provided a refund. 

This compressor is total trash. I had the same one and worked less than 10 times filling 350cc airtube. The compressor stopped holding pressure and PIA for the seller to honor the warranty. Amazon was understanding of my situation and provided a refund.

Must be some quality control issues. I've probably compiled over three hours of run time with the pump, filling up two large tanks and my rifle multiple times. 

I just used my Yong Heng to fill my Hatsan field bottle, and it shut off automatically when it reached about 55 celcius. I let it rest for 5 minutes, then changed the water to cold again. I keep three gallons of distilled water in the fridge. One is half full with the pump inside. I cut a hole on the side of a gallon jug to put in the pump. Then when the water starts to get warm which only takes a few minutes, I switch them out.

I haven't used my pump in months, so I actually forgot the steps. Anyway, it wasn't a few seconds until I remembered the sequence and connectors needed, etc until I was able to fill the field pump and then my Hatsan Neutron Star. The Yong Heng worked like a champ, and relatively quickly.

I change the oil WAY more frequently than suggested because it's cheap, and why not. I use cold water, and as long as I maintain that, I should get years out of it. I used to use it EVERYDAY for about a year and she's still going strong. (Knock on Wood. )

Hard to beat this deal. I'm pleased with mine after a few months of filling. I keep secolube oil in it and managed to not let it get above 40 deg c.

I bought mine for $217 but now it's $175
I keep two 68cc ninja tanks full.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevinkgb
Here is my Yong Heng setup. I have been using this for 4+ years. It has worked great but you can't just cut it on and forget it. You have to watch temp and I don't run more than 7-8 mins at a time. I have filled a 30 min and 45 min SCBA tank from empty. Yes it took a while but now I just keep them topped off and that works great.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

I've been using the GX-E compressor for a few months now. Before I picked it up, I jumped on YouTube and found a channel called target forge. He went in depth about this Compressor and showed hiw to maintenance it with better grease and certain areas to watch out for. It's been really good for me, but I don't fill large tanks with it. I think my next one might be a young hang, as I want to pickup a large tank for refilling in the field. Any good luck 👍
20220929_224211.jpg

Here is my Yong Heng setup. I have been using this for 4+ years. It has worked great but you can't just cut it on and forget it. You have to watch temp and I don't run more than 7-8 mins at a time. I have filled a 30 min and 45 min SCBA tank from empty. Yes it took a while but now I just keep them topped off and that works great.

View attachment 292596

View attachment 292597
@dtacmed I like your table. That’s a really nice looking set up. Have you had any issues with moisture in your tanks or your guns?

Reactions: rcs9250
Hard to beat this deal. I'm pleased with mine after a few months of filling. I keep secolube oil in it and managed to not let it get above 40 deg c.

I bought mine for $217 but now it's $175
I keep two 68cc ninja tanks full.

Thanx!

Reactions: Rickrick
I still don't own a compressor, so forgive me for jumping in on this thread...

One thing I never have read on ANY compressor thread is to use a relief/release valve, just like on a 120psi compressor, to let out the accumulated water.

Maybe I missed that as I don't read all the "compressor" threads. (smile)

So I can't speak to any other compressor than the Omega Trail Charger which I have. While not a 120 psi model it does go to 4500 psi. It does in fact have a relief valve which must be used to decompress the compressor and the fill line after filling the gun and before removing the probe.It is recommended to open the valve quickly to help express any accumulated water that has been squeezed out the air. I try to my fill myair rifles on low humidity days or with my office AC on. I'm not sure if that helps to minimize the water to be compressed out of the air, but I figure it can't hurt. I suspect most other small home/travel compressors have a similar valve too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JobyKang
I've been using the GX-E compressor for a few months now. Before I picked it up, I jumped on YouTube and found a channel called target forge. He went in depth about this Compressor and showed hiw to maintenance it with better grease and certain areas to watch out for. It's been really good for me, but I don't fill large tanks with it. I think my next one might be a young hang, as I want to pickup a large tank for refilling in the field. Any good luck 👍
View attachment 293590

DrDv8

Which external filter, gauge and pressure line extension are you using there for moisture removal and do you find a difference/ improvement

BP-1

So I can't speak to any other compressor than the Omega Trail Charger which I have. While not a 120 psi model it does go to 4500 psi. It does in fact have a relief valve which must be used to decompress the compressor and the fill line after filling the gun and before removing the probe.It is recommended to open the valve quickly to help express any accumulated water that has been squeezed out the air. I try to my fill myair rifles on low humidity days or with my office AC on. I'm not sure if that helps to minimize the water to be compressed out of the air, but I figure it can't hurt. I suspect most other small home/travel compressors have a similar valve too.
Good to know...

DrDv8

Which external filter, gauge and pressure line extension are you using there for moisture removal and do you find a difference/ improvement

BP-1
Hello bullpupone, my filter is a Tuxing Diving Seperator 4500psi. I picked this filter because my Gauntlet 2 can be charged up to 4500psi, I never go that high but I do go to 4000psi. My fill whip is a Maddog Paintball Airsoft fill whip hose extension 4500psi - 36 inch stainless steel charging system. That whip came with all the needed fittings, plug and play with my Gauntlet 2 fill port. Now as for what's in my filter, I use 13x Molecular Sieve, and Dry & Dry Orange indicating silica gel. I mainly use the indicating gel to indicate when I need to change my sieve. I made two chambers inside the filter plastic tube 75/25 (1st chamber 75% of tube and chamber 2 is 25% of tube), 1st top chamber the one next to the outlet is sieve, second chamber under that next to the intake is dry & dry. Like I said as soon as the dry and dry starts changing colors, I'll replace all of it with new. I live in southern Texas and we have so much Humidity here, I have to take steps in order to keep that water out of my guns and regulators. As of this writing, I have had no water in my guns. I have shot 22 cans of jsb monsters in my Gauntlet 2, and I have pulled it apart for cleaning and inspection. I too was curious if what I was doing was in fact working. Ater seeing the photos from hajimoto about the water he was getting in his guns, scared the hell out of me. As for the gauge on my pump, I picked up a psi gauge for the GX-E from target forge website everything else you can pick up on Amazon. I hope I covered everything, I don't know what's the best way but this is how I do it. Good luck

20221001_221730.jpg

Reactions: kevinkgb