Best chronograph for PCP

I have a Caldwell chronograph that I’ve used for reloading for years.
I recently acquired my first PCP and while researching, I see these chronographs that are specialized for air guns and give very informative information/ graphs for tuning. It seems this would be a very useful investment.
Can anyone guide me to which one I should buy? I don’t know enough to know what features I should look for.

I got mine for free > Air Chrony MK3. However, way over priced when compared to China made products which seem to give good results per other users on AN. I don't recall the China made one, but it runs about 30 to 40 USD ... ebay and other places. You can pay for all sorts of bells and whistles too. I don't do the smart phone stuff for a lot of reasons so can't comment there.

The best chronograph in my opinion is the FX True Outdoors Ballistic unit. I have owned an Oehler, LabRadar, and various other shoot throughs.
Pros
This unit just works, every time for me.
Links to my iPad and saves all the data
Provides a wonderful ballistics chart that is on
works with my powder guns, both pistol and rifle. Nothing to change for different velocities.
Cons
Cost. 999.99 was recently on sale for 899.99
Does not work for close shots in my garage.

Now a great other unit, works at 10 feet in my garage and every place else. Just for Airguns is the FX pocket chronograph.

I know people are Hot on the new Garmin. It is nice and small. However it does not do all the calculations that the FX unit does. I am sure in a year they will have one that does or an upgrade that can be done.

Reactions: Hawkeyehunter
The FX family of small chrono's are the easiest most portable to use. I have a ProChrono, works flawlessly but cumbersome, friend has the first gen FX, so easy to rubber band to the moderator....
Those really intrigue me. Watching people use them on videos, perked my interest. I looked on Pyramyd’s website, saw there is more than one model and there wasn’t enough information listed to tell the difference in them. That is why I asked the question on here. Hoping I could learn what features the different models have.
For now I’m going to follow Trucker 3573,s advice and use my Caldwell and just write down the data.

Nothing wrong with using your Caldwell. I used to use a similar conventional chronograph too but I shot it one too many times trying to get a reading indoors without lights. I replaced it with a $20 chinese chronograph and it works better than my conventional ever did. It has a rechargeable battery and gives me a reading every time. I have a clamp on and a tripod mount. I prefer the latter, it does not shift zero, the clamp on sometimes does. But my point is just that the little inexpensive Chinese chronys work so well you might want to pick one up just to avoid the setup of your Caldwell. I put the data into a spreadsheet where I can easily make a graph out of the data if I want to.

If you want to calculate the bc I believe you need velocity at two points. But you can also get a pretty good idea of your bc by shooting groups at several ranges and noting the drop. Then see what a ballistics program says the drop should be for your muzzle velocity (from the chronograph, clamp on or tripod). It is likely that the ballistics program will give different drops so you then start trying different bcs to see if you can get a match. Some people try to do this with two distances, a zero distance and a longish range like 100 yards. I think more distances are appropriate. Sometimes I have to juggle the height of the scope too. I'd rather do it this way than measure velocity at two points.

Caldwell ballistic precision chronograph….. been going strong almost 8 years now and works great indoors/outdoors with light kit or sun screens.
IMG_5169.jpeg

Caldwell ballistic precision chronograph….. been going strong almost 8 years now and works great indoors/outdoors with light kit or sun screens.View attachment 423242
That is the same one I have. I think I’ve had it 6 years. The tripod started screwing up, but I used the chronograph this evening. still works fine. cloudy day at almost sunset. The illuminated sun shades are great at capturing. I’ve shot hundreds of rigle and pistol rounds over it. It even works for tuning a bow.

Nothing wrong with using your Caldwell. I used to use a similar conventional chronograph too but I shot it one too many times trying to get a reading indoors without lights. I replaced it with a $20 chinese chronograph and it works better than my conventional ever did. It has a rechargeable battery and gives me a reading every time. I have a clamp on and a tripod mount. I prefer the latter, it does not shift zero, the clamp on sometimes does. But my point is just that the little inexpensive Chinese chronys work so well you might want to pick one up just to avoid the setup of your Caldwell. I put the data into a spreadsheet where I can easily make a graph out of the data if I want to.
I’d like to try a Chinese clamp on if they are that cheap. Do you get them on Amazon?

Another vote for the Caldwell. I have had mine for six years now. A little bulky to carry to the range is my only complaint. Keep the battery unplugged when not in use. I use it for arrows, pellets and bullets. I have set the chrony up at 50 yards to calculate BC numerous times, works great. I purchased mine with a carry bag, tripod, lights and all the needed cables for the complete package from Midway, they had the best price if I remember correctly.