• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best chronograph for PCP

I see these chronographs that are specialized for air guns and give very informative information/ graphs for tuning.
I don’t know what this means.

All chronographs provide a velocity. Labradar gives downrange velocities also. Until you’re tuned to single digit extreme spreads the accuracy difference is not important.

Garmin Xero gives nothing more than a velocity. It’s small, reliable, and convenient but its data is still just a velocity.

Reactions: 1900colt
I’m currently waiting on this cheap Chinese chronograph to arrive as a spare or secondary for getting a solid BC.
IMG_5442.jpeg

How do you want to use it?

Each have their own trade-offs....
Radars - $$$, are sensitive to environment & setup, you may not be able to just unpack it & get going - you could be getting interference & get lots of dud readings. Some also require additional parts to make them work with air rifles, so add $$$
Shoot through - affected by sunlight, clouds, some artificial lights, a right PITA to line up & stay on target, & lots of missed shots & error readings
Muzzle attached - this is the design that my chrony uses, never misses a shot, fastest setup possible

Accuracy - not much difference, even the cheapies work fine. There's the odd one that gives a 30fps low reading

Features...
The cheapie imports typically lack a lot of features, maybe only do m/s & not fps, no way to download or get data etc, no saving of info. How easy is it to change pellet weight? lots of off button combo's you need to remember etc...
The expensive ones come with features - but as usual, they have apps you have to install, then there's data privacy concerns etc...

Reactions: Hawkeyehunter
I have a Caldwell chronograph that I’ve used for reloading for years.
I recently acquired my first PCP and while researching, I see these chronographs that are specialized for air guns and give very informative information/ graphs for tuning. It seems this would be a very useful investment.
Can anyone guide me to which one I should buy? I don’t know enough to know what features I should look for.
Garmin just works

I have used and trusted my caldwell for years. Everything from powder burners, compound bows and even a slingshot.
After reading a similar thread last year, I ordered one of the clamp on cheap ones from Amazon.
It is great. If I just need a few strings to verify velocities, I just clamp it onto the moderator and a few buttons later I am getting accurate readings.
I highly recommend getting one for that purpose.
The Caldwell works for the extended shooting.
JMHO
Doc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to properly calculate BC you need to have a reading at the muzzle and at the target, correct?
So I'm confused how the barrel mounted versions are helpful.
Can someone explain?
The more expensive barrel mounted ones give several velocities along the projectiles flight path by continuously tracking it with Doppler (I believe) radar. For example it will give bullet velocity at muzzle , 25 yards, 50, 75 and a hundred maybe. Therefore you can get a really accurate coefficient.
Edit…actually the fx barrel mounted ones do not do this. However the more expensive ones that do what I described operate on the same principle. Both kinds use Doppler radar. The Lab Radar and fx true ballistics just give you more data.

j'ai déjà un chronophaphe aliepress (36 €).
pour pcp et 22 lr ,voir gros calibre (stand) ,des avis sur le caldwell ?
ou autre ,a prix correcte ..

Over the years ive had a bunch of chrono. What I use now is a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital, with IR light kit, works every time. I also have that same Chinese mini chrono. It's my second one and works flawlessly. The first one was the one lemon mentioned that was off by 30fps or more.
...like this...???...

Reactions: jarmstrong
LabRadar all the way.
They are not complicated and they give a ton of info.

The Garmin is an overpriced piece of one reading wonder plastic. Even the new LR that's small can do more than that Garmin.
I started with the Pro Chrono years ago. It worked fine. Only problem was having to reposition the unit when I moved to different yardages with the pb. Switched to a Labradar when they first came out. These need a few accessories other than the unit itself. Needs a stand or tripod to keep it upright. Added the external battery to keep it running for extended range sessions. The battery port came loose from moving the unit around while still plugged in. Had to add a sighting device to make sure the unit was properly aligned with the target. Added the external trigger but now one more wire coming from the unit to the rifle. I have picked the rifle up off the rest forgetting to disconnect the trigger more than once. The Labradar does get readings down range but not sure how accurate these numbers are. I bought the Garmin zero and love how simple it is to use.
I tried it in the basement shooting my air pistols and it captured every shot. I even moved it as close as 3ft. from the target and it still recorded shots. I must add that anything less than 5ft. the velocity wasn’t accurate. It was able to record accurate velocity capturing only 5ft. of pellet flight. I also moved it down range (with a steel plate for protection). This works for getting down range velocities that I feel are accurate. So far there is nothing to dislike about the Garmin. Has worked for every shot and not finicky about alignment with the target. Quick to setup and take down. No extra cables hanging out of unit. Small enough to setup on either side of the rifle. Doesn’t need to be placed at the end of barrel (and out of reach)to be triggered like Labradar (without external trigger). Won’t shut down at the wrong time when trigger time has elapsed like Labradar. This is my experience. I use the cronograph mostly with powder burners for load development. Most of the use with air rifles is for pellet tuning.

Reactions: sb327
Nothing wrong with using your Caldwell. I used to use a similar conventional chronograph too but I shot it one too many times trying to get a reading indoors without lights. I replaced it with a $20 chinese chronograph and it works better than my conventional ever did. It has a rechargeable battery and gives me a reading every time. I have a clamp on and a tripod mount. I prefer the latter, it does not shift zero, the clamp on sometimes does. But my point is just that the little inexpensive Chinese chronys work so well you might want to pick one up just to avoid the setup of your Caldwell. I put the data into a spreadsheet where I can easily make a graph out of the data if I want to.
Hello Hawkeyehunter, could you post a link for your Chinese crony? There are many to choose from. My first chronograph was a $45 one off of Amazon and it was a dud. It did work occasionally but suffered from very poor quality and continuity issues. My second try was a pro chronodlx for almost 4x more and it didn't work either until I dropped it in the dirt. Seems to be working flawlessly now and it does have the advantage of synching with the phone vi bluetooth.