• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Caliber For Quail and Turkey?

I have no experience hunting turkeys. For Quail I find .22 cal works well for me and doesn't waste meat. You will earn your protein-it's sometimes tricky to get off a shot on a wary covey and it can take a while to find the downed birds in heavy cover. If you have a good dog, bring it along!
I do find the results of a successful hunt well worth the effort.
Good luck!
DSCF6505.JPG

Hi, Brand new to PCP’s, I’m looking to shoot a Turkey once a year and hunt quail. Best caliber? .30 seems to big for quail.

Thanks!
@TrailHunter As small as quails are, I’d agree with @JohnL57, but check with your state’s fish and game department. I’d ask the man who started then he was below about California Turkey hunting with airguns.

I have no experience hunting turkeys. For Quail I find .22 cal works well for me and doesn't waste meat. You will earn your protein-it's sometimes tricky to get off a shot on a wary covey and it can take a while to find the downed birds in heavy cover. If you have a good dog, bring it along!
Good luck!
View attachment 385026
That looks awesome! Thank you for your time and advice.

@TrailHunter As small as quails are, I’d agree with @JohnL57, but check with your state’s fish and game department. I’d ask the man who started then he was below about California Turkey hunting with airguns.

Right on, great vid, I like what he said about the bigger gun not wounding them as much, I’m leaning towards a .30 and .22 kit.

One thing that seems to help success-a foggy morning. The birds don't seem to alert as readily in the fog. Take care with your first shot-then you'll need to be quick with your next ones as the covey scatters. Watch what direction they're going and try to get in front and be there ready when they arrive. It's very challenging in my experience, especially if the shotgun hunters have been around to get the coveys extra wary. I'm happy to get 2 or 3 birds in a morning's hunt, I won't get fat at that rate, LOL!
The best I've been able to do was get 5 birds from one covey, but I haven't done that again.

Good luck!
View attachment 385026
I’d buy a 22 caliber or 25 either repeater or single shot
Them quail. sure look tasty

.22 would be plenty for either, I wish I lived in a state that allows hunting for birds with airguns. I would pick something short and quiet. And getting 40 ft lbs with a .22 is super easy with a FX Impact, and you will get 50 shots per fill with a 480 bottle. Really you would only need a 20 ft lb gun, and with my M3 set at 20 Ft lbs I get well over 100 shots per fill. That’s a lot of dead birds and no need for a extra air tank.