• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best caliber for head shots on small pigs?

From the reaction of the pig after the shot I would say it never knew what happened. I've seen plenty of hunts that require tracking up to and including dogs and some that were never found.

Not much more of an ethical shot can happen than dropping them where they stand.

Great shot man!
Thanks brother, I hate when people open their mouth just to air their teeth when they know absolutely nothing on the subject

here is a shot at a real big boar with a .25 cal at about 55 FPE with the 27gr benjamin pellet,......what you really notice here is that I waited 10 minutes for the perfect shot

...and that is what it's all about more then power and caliber,....It's the perfect placement !!!!!

Learn you anathomy, make sure you have a square shot and be patient,.......I can go into more details how and where to put those pellets I've been doing this with airguns for a very long time

Here is a video of a decent young boar taken with a Disco .177 at 17 FPE shooting the Baracuda 10.5gr at 859 fps

THAT…was impressive! Heretofore, I would have never thought a 177 caliber pellet would do that to a pig. Well, I stand erected. I’ve seen three pigs shot with correctly placed 25 caliber pellets to the head and they all quivered more than that piggy in the video. Helluva shot, AirArcher. Damn…

That being said, I would never recommend a 177 caliber for shooting pigs when there are, to me, better options available such as a 25. AirArcher can do it as he has the patience of Job and his highly proficient with his weapon of choice, both hallmarks of a good hunter. But…and feel free to opine here Air Archer…I’d be willing to bet if he had to rely on a 177 or a 25 to absolutely, positively take down a pig…let’s say to feed the family…he’d grab the 25.

I know…dead is dead. But I feel you increases your odds at arriving at “dead” with a larger caliber.

And the thought that a smaller caliber pellet will out-penetrate a larger caliber pellet due to the decreased frontal area does not ring true with me. A smaller caliber of EQUAL weight, traveling at the same velocity as its larger brethren may penetrate more, but I am unaware of any 34 grain 177 pellets. Also, as we live in the realm of the Diablo shaped pellet and the 830-930 fps window in which they work in, the velocity is really a non-issue. Given the right gun, you can make a 25 go as fast as a 177. Anything you can do velocity wise with a 177 caliber pellet, can also be done with a 25 or 30 caliber pellet. Further, as hydrostatic shock is a non-factor when talking about shooting something like a pig with an air rifle, we are dependent on the permanent wound cavity, meaning tissue directly destroyed by the projectile, to do our work. All else being equal, a larger caliber is going to leave a larger permanent wound cavity than a smaller caliber.

I wouldn’t think of trying to shoot a pig with my 22 caliber Brocock Sniper pushing an 18 grain pellet at 860fps. Why? Because I have two 25 caliber Impacts and a Cricket that will move a 34 grain pellet just as fast.

I’m not calling anybody names, nor am I saying killing a pig with a 177 caliber pellet can’t be done because it certainly can. I’m just saying I think it’s a more better idea, and your odds are increased of cleanly taking a pig with a larger caliber. In this case, the larger the better.

Justin

Last edited:
Imo when we’re talking brain shots, penetration is the determining factor on wether or not a projectile will get the job done. I’ve never had an animal keep going with a shot that actually hit the brain, didn’t matter if it was a bb, pellet or bullet.
Smaller caliber projectiles do penetrate easier than larger caliber projectiles so I would much prefer a powerhouse 177 over a moderately powered 25. A lot of the economically priced pcp’s would do better for bigger game in the calibers they were designed around. As long as you’ve got the penetration the only thing that matters is shot placement.

Beau

My opinion is that I would want to shoot a gun tuned such that it can shoot through a 3/4 inch piece of MDF. An experienced pig hunter uses this criteria and it seems reasonable to me. My 25 Avenger will do this pushing 25.4 grain FX pellets about 930 fps. It will shoot through at 25 yards, it won't do it at 100 yards but I haven't tried yardage in between. But for close shots like the OP described, with good placement, I think it would work.

My most powerful 22 is my P35 and it is pushing 21 grain H&N Baracuda Match about 830 fps. About 32 fpe. It will shoot through 1/2 inch of MDF at 25 yards but not 3/4. I don't know how much faster they would need to be going and/or if a heavier projectile would do better. But if I wanted to shoot a pig in the head with this gun I would be looking for something else it shoots well or turning the regulator up a bit and see what it will do. It might get there.

My 19 fpe 177 won't shoot through 1/2 inch of MDF. It pushes 10.6 grain pellets at about 900 fps. The same pig hunter that suggested 3/4 inch plywood or MDF penetration got a 177 to this level and used it to take a hog. I don't know what he used but there are surprisingly heavy 177 projectiles available.

I don't think it matters much how big a hole you make in the brain, it is more how you get sufficient penetration. I have no doubt that with REALLY good placement less penetration also works but I would still want to have more just in case. My guess is the easiest way to get 3/4 penetration would be a 33.95 grain 25 caliber pellet. But just as there are really heavy 177s there are also really heavy 22s but it is harder for the gun to get them to the same speed due to the lower area the air pressure is pushing against.

For pigs I would recommend a .30 Cal with above 70 foot-pounds energy.

Of course Tim Wells take them blowing, yes, but many of us are not in a position to get around blowing.

No way anything smaller than .25 Cal with 50 foot pounds.
I’m as open minded as the next guy, but I’m not sure I’d wanna watch a video of Tim Wells blowing pigs…

Justin

Believe it or not, here it is an example of Tim Wells's prectice and an alligator:

Emu,

My tongue was firmly planted between tongue in cheek when I made that last post. Maybe I should learn how to use those emoji things…

I’ve seen Tim Wells shoot. The dude is a freak of nature. I’m not. I’ll err on the side of a larger caliber!

Justin

Actually for a lot of the above ( can't just qoute everybody )

Being saying this for a long time now, between a .25 doing 55 FPE and a .22 doing 55 FPE for brainshooting a Pig I would take the .22 anyday,........Look I don't just go out there and try a shot for those that followed me throug the years on the Yellow or GTA or even here as Nomadic Pirate before I take a shot at an animal I do a ton of research and testing.

This is the thread on GTA for the .17 cal pig, if you read it you will see a link to a previous thread where I was doing a lot of testing before going out there ( unfortunately the pictures are gone because I cancelled my Photobucket )

do a bit of reading and you will see

Here is an other video where I got a nice Boar with a NP2 .22 cal at 20 FPE,....also read what I say on the thread

Once again,....knowing where to put that pellet is way more important then power and caliber, and yes give me a gun that shoots the 16gr Baracuda at 1000 fps and I will take down big boars.

Being doing this a long time and all the keyboard expert can come out and type what they want, I like to meet one airgunner that has even close the field experiace I have taking Boars with small calibers.

Also I have more stories of the early days on the Yellow and Adventures in airguns when I first started taking boars with small calibers and the old timers where freaking out and look what's going on today,.....it actually became pretty common practice.

We can get within 12-15 yards. Will start with smaller hogs first. So out of a Hatsan Flash which caliber would maximize penetration on a head shot? The Flash is available in .177, .22 and .25.
Once again the OP question since some might have forgotten :LOL: at 12-15 yards for small pigs a solid .17 cal will do the job,.....again you need to know where to put the pellet because if you don't all your .25s and .30s you guys are suggesting will not bail you out.

I have people not believing me I take Big bores with airguns because they say they had 30/30s bouncing off the head or pigs......correct, big power will not bail you out if you do not know where to put that round,....Period !!!!

I would have a hard time believing a 30/30 would bounce off the head of anything. That is a hole lot of power to bounce off bone, but you are right with shot placement. I do all my hunting with a long bow (striker RK1) to be exact, and I have taken a lot of game but as stated you need shot placement.
Example:

If you shoot a big Boar that is looking directly at you right in berween the eyes the slant in the cranium is so much that a 30/30 will bounce off,...garantied

I wish The pictures where still there, I had a long thread where I cut down a big boar skull and was showing all the angles I would be perfect for now

Here is that thread, I know no pictures sucks but the expanations are still there

For pigs I would recommend a .30 Cal with above 70 foot-pounds energy.

Of course Tim Wells take them blowing, yes, but many of us are not in a position to get around blowing.

No way anything smaller than .25 Cal with 50 foot pounds.
That guy ? he posted a video killing Cayotes with a .30 cal Origin....newsflash .30 cal Origin does not exist :LOL:

I have the Slackmaster and will use it for hunting once I get the chance but I will never believe a video from that guy again,..done.

.30 cal 70 FPE and above ?

I killed many more Big, and I say Big Boars with Smaller calibers then I did with .30 and above.

Using too small a caliber is Animal Cruelty, the criminal charge. I would go with .30 cal, but .25 may work. Going under .25 would be unethical in my opinion, and illegal.
Pretty sure if you're pesting feral hogs there isn't a legal size limit. People use tannerite FFS.

Also, you do realize they make 177 pellets and slugs that weigh more than some 22 or 25 ammo? If you got the gun to push them it'll do just fine. You'd think a guy who does a bunch of air gun reviews would know this stuff.

Last edited: