• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best caliber for head shots on small pigs?

Also let's remember the original opener from the OP,

Penetration on a head shot on small pigs from 12-15 yards ?.......I stand my grounds that a powerful .177 is a fantastic option.

As seen from our friend Rallyshank post on his big boar kill with, yes a .177.

Once more, the hunter is the main part of the equation not the caliber, a bad shot with a 100 FPE .25 will not bail you out
My .177 break barrel puts out about 15ftlbs, my pcp gets about 22ftlbs.
Pretty sure they would both work at that range🎩🤙

With all due respect, limiting the 25 to 12ft/lbs to give the leg up to a puny little 177 is not relevant. OP is not looking for input on a 12ft/lb gun or a 25 doing 450 fps.

Out of curiosity, is that your youtube channel?
Not my channel. Just found it while looking for penetration comparisons of the three mentioned rounds.
I found it interesting due the fact that there are air rifles that have chamberings in all three of those calibers but use the same power plant. Having said that, the same power plant will give the three basically the same energy but higher velocities for the smaller caliber. Now I'm no expert but I think one might make the comparison between an ice pick and a ball peen hammer?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1